This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintaining a Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable

Discussion in 'Restoration Workshop' started by sefwow, Friday May 18, 2018 at 10:51.

1. sefwow

sefwow

Hi all,

I recently picked this up : https://imgur.com/a/LwRN0sw#d8dDPRI

and at the advice of people here I have decided to keep it.

I just wanted to know - what is the best way to maintain it? Is it inevitable that it will lose its plating. It looks like its not been used before and I want to keep its condition great.

jimmyc and Blademonkey like this.
  2. If you take care the plating will last for many years, after use rinse in clean running water and a gentle shake to remove any excess water.
    Wipe over with a soft cloth and leave out to dry or if you wish you can do what I used to do with my Fatboy and that was to dry with a hair dryer on a cold blow. Don't over polish and every now and then put a couple of drops of light oil on the spinal under the bomb bay doors.
    Enjoy! :) P.

jimmyc and sefwow like this.
  3. jimmyc

jimmyc

If i had that razor i would love the patina (is that the right phrase ) of my use on the razor over the years.
    i have 2 FB techs. 1 very shiny, 1 worn. I like the wear on the worn one. I am hoping to get my own Patina on the shiny one before my family throw them all out when i am gone. :)

PS, glad your keeping it. Enjoy.
    PPS. it will probably lose the gold wash quicker but the nickel plate will last years

Last edited: Friday May 18, 2018 at 18:23
    Blademonkey likes this.
  4. Dansco

Dansco

5. jimmyc

jimmyc

bargain. at ?x the price. :D

Blademonkey likes this.
  6. Dansco

Dansco

Id go about 6 times i reckon

7. sefwow

sefwow

I
    I actually think I am leaning towards selling it now haha! Can't make up my mind! Thinking to sell and get a worn out but usable adjustable that I could use daily without obsessing over it.

That being said I could keep this for special occasions....am undecided.

Blademonkey likes this.
  8. Get yourself a user grade razor by all means and just use this one for special occasions and pass it on to you son ( if you have one or may have one) I'm sure he would love to have his dad's old razor that will still be in good condition. A family heirloom for ten pounds, can't be bad :) P.

sefwow likes this.
  9. jimmyc

jimmyc

No no, keep it. its only £50 or£60 pounds profit. less than a days wages. you could piss that up the wall in half a day.
    I was in the same situation as you, i bought a Hermle mechanical clock on e-bay for £40 found out later it was worth north of £400.
    still have it 8 years later. I value it for what it is, not what i can make from it. because i like it. I would keep it. I'm not a slave to profit. I like what i like. I Still get abuse from my brother for not selling it. :)

Bizzyberry, sefwow and Blademonkey like this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco

I agree - you got a world class collectible for a tenner ;)

Unless £50 is a huge deal to you, id just keep it and remind people how much you paid for it at every opportunity haha

Bizzyberry, jimmyc and Blademonkey like this.
  11. riverrun

riverrun

I have paid more on postage for some razors. :rolleyes:

jimmyc and Blademonkey like this.
  12. sefwow

sefwow

Thanks guys, I think I'll try and find myself a normal adjustable for daily use then and keep this one as a treat :)

If anyone has any good ideas on where to find, or has a spare adjustable for sale please let me know! :)

jimmyc likes this.
  13. riverrun

riverrun

I've got one - we can swap! [​IMG]

14. jimmyc

jimmyc

Don't do it, its a trap. :D. or something. No its a trap. :)

riverrun and Dansco like this.
  15. riverrun

riverrun

Well, why? [​IMG]
    I paid far more for mine and it's from my birth-quarter as well. [​IMG]

jimmyc and sefwow like this.
  16. sefwow

sefwow

I still cant believe how lucky I got to be fair. After being told it is very hard to find anything other than a tech at London markets, this was the only one I saw! What a good pickup for the price :) I didn't even know what it was when I first saw it haha. The fact its in an adjustable box didn't help things either

jimmyc likes this.
  17. sefwow

sefwow

On a more serious note if anyone sees a decently priced functional adjustable going anywhere please let me know! :D

18. jimmyc

jimmyc

just having a laugh. no offense. i,ve got an adjustable as well. its got Bahco on the side. (please don't ban me mods):D

riverrun likes this.
  19. jimmyc

jimmyc

thanks Riverrun i thought we were going for a falling out. no offence meant. :)

20. Electrif

Electrif

You beat me to it. :p

riverrun likes this.