Merkur 34C and three days growth

I couldn't be bothered shaving over the weekend so this morning before going to work I had three days growth to remove. Normally I would've reached for something with "aggression" in my collection - Parker 26C, Fatip Piccolo, Muhle R41 head, Merkur 37C slant or Slim Adjustable. I decided to see how the 34C with a Rapira Swedish Supersteel would fare. My soap of choice today was a Valobra shave stick and the brush was a Vulfix boar. The razor had no problems. Two passes plus touch-ups and my skin was very smooth. DFS! :)

Are razors with "aggression" really necessary? Although I suppose some have really thick beards after three days and my beard is just really wimpy! :rolleyes:

Anyway - Merkur 34C - FANTASTIC razor! :D

Lovely razor. Easy to manoeuvre around the face, slightly more efficient than a de89. An excellent daily driver and very good for a few days growth as stated by the OP.

Are razors with "aggression" really necessary?
Not in my view but I shave daily. I like to think of it in terms of efficiency. Good technique will always get you a good shave using the right razor and blade combination. The Merkur 34C has become my benchmark and I find all blades I have tried work with it. There are advantages in using an adjustable which can be deployed with more aggression for the first pass when dealing with multi-day stubble growth. However, as you have found, the 34C coped with the task.
However, hair and skin types vary, so some prefer an aggressive razor. Each to his own I say.

Back
Top Bottom