Merkur 45 bakelite

Was your remark a little tongue in cheek or do you realy beleive it's the best DE razor you own?
Yes, it's the best DE I own. Not the best razor I own, but the best DE - and I believe I have about 15 of those... a few too many for an enthusiastic SE shaver... :rolleyes:
There are other DE razors that are just as good (the Wolfman for example), but they cost many times more and I don't own any of them.

Yes, it's the best DE I own. Not the best razor I own, but the best DE - and I believe I have about 15 of those... a few too many for an enthusiastic SE shaver... :rolleyes:
There are other DE razors that are just as good (the Wolfman for example), but they cost many times more and I don't own any of them.
Wow, high praise indeed. Thank you.

Merkur 45C is a great razor, I got mine as travel razor and the curiosity of a Bakelite razor. I was blown away when I tried it. Now I am keeping my eye out for another one at a bargain price as a spare. I am not sure of the longevity of the Bakelite so I want another one just in case, that said I think I would need to shave with it every day for many years to wear it out, plus it is so light dropping it will likely not break it unlike a full metal razor. Which is another travel plus point along with the fact it weighs practically nothing. Very easy to shave with.

Whilst I have to accept it's a bit of a negative view.... but I bought a brand new one, for not a lot of money, admittedly...and the brass nut that's glued to the bakelite head did actually fall off. Maybe I over-tightened it? But I have read that I'm not the only one to to do it. I returned it and received a refund and haven't missed it since.

It was OK up to it breaking... but ultimately, only OK - not spectacular.

And, of course, since then I've acquired another Bakelite DE razor in the form of the vintage white (or cream, really) Souplex that dates back to 1945/6 and does shave nicely - but is as light in the hand as the 45 and isn't really entirely up my street... hence it's for sale as we speak - and hasn't found a new owner for a while, therefore I assume it's not a "must have" item.

Back
Top Bottom