Merkur Slant vs RR Hawk v2 - Opinions please

Hi guys,
This is a trawl for knowledge please. I've been using the Slant for about 3-4 years now as my daily razor for face and head shaves and it's a superb razor giving an excellent result each time.
I also have an Artist Club which I've used on a number of occasions but never really managed to master it to the same level as the Slant.
I have some blades for AC and it seems a shame to waste them and I came across the Hawk, which is now sitting in the basket waiting for me to enter my details. Before I do that I thought I'd ask you if I'm likely to get as good a shave from the Hawk as I do from the Slant, notwithstanding the change in technique?
I'd appreciate your thoughts please to help me decide if this is a good move or not.
Thanks
Matt

Hi guys,
This is a trawl for knowledge please. I've been using the Slant for about 3-4 years now as my daily razor for face and head shaves and it's a superb razor giving an excellent result each time.
I also have an Artist Club which I've used on a number of occasions but never really managed to master it to the same level as the Slant.
I have some blades for AC and it seems a shame to waste them and I came across the Hawk, which is now sitting in the basket waiting for me to enter my details. Before I do that I thought I'd ask you if I'm likely to get as good a shave from the Hawk as I do from the Slant, notwithstanding the change in technique?
I'd appreciate your thoughts please to help me decide if this is a good move or not.
Thanks
Matt
I didn't get on with the Hawk I found it not smooth a shave at all. For me I will say that the Colonial General is a far superior razor that takes the FAC blades. Have a look at reviews you won't be disappointed.

I didn't get on with the Hawk I found it not smooth a shave at all. For me I will say that the Colonial General is a far superior razor that takes the FAC blades. Have a look at reviews you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for that Mr Bigmem, I'll now and have a look at it and may have to amend my basket, or add to it.

I like my shaves with the Hawk....but the Ikon MR-SE is also something to consider. Ilike my Slant....but I do think that a Hawk usually gives better shaves for me!

Hi Culcreuch, I went and had a look for the Ikon, but so far have only found the head. As for the General it's not easy to find at all online.
At the moment I'm still veering towards the Hawk as it's a good price and should liven up my routine on the days when I'm not rushing to work!

Hi Culcreuch, I went and had a look for the Ikon, but so far have only found the head. As for the General it's not easy to find at all online.
At the moment I'm still veering towards the Hawk as it's a good price and should liven up my routine on the days when I'm not rushing to work!

The Hawk is still a good choice. The Ikon is sold as head only. That wasn't an issue for me as I have a number of spare handles. The Ikon head....while Aluminium is a bit more substantial looking.

I found the Hawk a great shave but far too light for me, especially if you have 2-3 days, prefer a bit more weight for the first slice. Its cheap enough to try though.
The General is unobtanium between batches, about the same money but head only, is the Mongoose, Maggards are great on post..

Thanks Windows95, I think I'll got for the Hawk and give it a try and see if I can get a better shave with it than I can from my Artist Club. If I get close to the Slant I'll be very happy.

That almost sounds like a challenge BoldSpice?! But looking at the razor I think it will do the job very nicely as I do have to be a bit careful with the slant, especially when ATG near the ears.

Thanks Windows95, I think I'll got for the Hawk and give it a try and see if I can get a better shave with it than I can from my Artist Club. If I get close to the Slant I'll be very happy.
You'll be happy with the choice. I used the Hawk V2 today morning and its an amazing razor. I find that the length of the razor needs me to stretch the skin for a flatter surface to accommodate the longer blade. My skin loves the Hawk shave. Its a BBS and the skin feels very soft and different from that of a DE shave even hours after the shave. I think that aluminium makes it light and better for manoeuvres around the jaw and chin area. I still have to refine my technique for some areas. I use the Kai Captain mild pink blades and they are good so far. I like RazoRock products for their engineering and tight tolerances. Value for money products. I went ahead and got their limited edition anodised blue Hawk too.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I have to say that I was keen to try it and thought the price was good so went ahead and got it.
I've only had a couple of shaves so far, including my head, but really do like it. I need to refine my technique a little but no nicks and a very close shave.
I'm currently using a Feather Pro Guard so I'll be interested to see what it's like when I just use the Feather Pro or the Dorco blades that I also have. By then I hope to have got my technique sorted.
Overall I'm very pleased with this razor and suspect it may end up as my daily shaver.
Oh, I also got the Razorock Big Bruce brush and I love it too!

I have to say that I was keen to try it and thought the price was good so went ahead and got it.
I've only had a couple of shaves so far, including my head, but really do like it. I need to refine my technique a little but no nicks and a very close shave.
I'm currently using a Feather Pro Guard so I'll be interested to see what it's like when I just use the Feather Pro or the Dorco blades that I also have. By then I hope to have got my technique sorted.
Overall I'm very pleased with this razor and suspect it may end up as my daily shaver.
Oh, I also got the Razorock Big Bruce brush and I love it too!
Fantastic!

How many shaves do you get from the blade. I went with the Kai Captain mild pinks going by the reviews that they last up to 10-15 shaves. Have yet to try any other blades.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom