Mitchells Wool Fat

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?
Mitchell's Wool Fat Luxury Shaving Soap is renowned for it's lather and it's amazing skin softening qualities. A simple and natural product, Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap is still made to Mr. Mitchell's original formula, based on a recipe from the turn of the century and incorporating lanolin from the wool fat as the key ingredient.

Although no medical claims are made for it, this very gentle soap is particularly soothing to sensitive skins and has often been recommended by members of the medical profession to help alleviate certain skin complaints.

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:
Now, I had read a lot about people having issues lathering MWF, so, with all the information to hand, I lathered away. I loaded the brushes (boar and synthetic) like I hated them, for a minimum of 30 seconds, then to the bowl. I added water slowly to build a thick lather. I did find the lather took longer to build to a tight, small bubbled lather, but (and I cannot stress this enough), it was well worth the effort. A 30 second load produced easily enough lather for 4 passes.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
OK, the building of the lather takes longer than creams and croaps, but the cushioning, glide and post shave feel are divine. I feel no need for post shave balms or creams. There is no dryness I get with other hard shaving soaps. The subtle 'old school clean' smell is really pleasant during use as well. Although the ceramic dish adds nothing to the actual shave, it is a very nice addition to the product, well worth shelling out the extra money for.

WOULD YOU BUY IT AGAIN?
Well, in short yes. I see the soap being one of my favourites very quickly, and the refill pucks offer superb value for money.

AdobePhotoshopExpress_3119a195c61445e7b4e946c1a9623943.jpg

Hard water, soft water, no difference ... in my tests, I actually found hard water preferable as it keeps at bay the initial risk of an overly foamy lather when using too much water.

The post has been lost in the second upgrade, but I pitched a puck of MWF using soft water against a new puck using hard water. Results were great lather with both.

Hard water, soft water, no difference ... in my tests, I actually found hard water preferable as it keeps at bay the initial risk of an overly foamy lather when using too much water.

The post has been lost in the second upgrade, but I pitched a puck of MWF using soft water against a new puck using hard water. Results were great lather with both.

I remember that post well, and it was one I had in mind when making my purchase. :) We have pretty hard water in Stoke on Trent, and I get exquisite lather with MWF, no questions, just 2 minutes and boom.

In fact, I loaded my boar brush for only 15 seconds today, and whipped for circa 2 mins, and STILL had enough lather for 5 passes without breaking a sweat. I'm going to do a lather video for this soon to illustrate how I do it.

I can get a great lather with it, plentiful and super slick but it dries my skin out for some reason. By the end of the second pass, my face starts to heat up and by finishing time it's sore and red. Technique always plays a part but not after three years of DE shaving. I'll have to save up and get Palmolive sticks instead......:p

I can get a great lather with it, plentiful and super slick but it dries my skin out for some reason. By the end of the second pass, my face starts to heat up and by finishing time it's sore and red. Technique always plays a part but not after three years of DE shaving. I'll have to save up and get Palmolive sticks instead......:p
Could be lanolin sensitivity?

The best shaving soap. Fact.

It is good value for money, I grant that. However, as anyone who has travelled around with the stuff (and i'm not talking about just going from one side of the pennines t'other) will tell you, one day it may work like a dream, but move on to somewhere else and it might as well be made of plastic. Any contender for best soap in the world would have to be epic everywhere, but the point is mute - if we found a universally accepted 'best soap in the world' - there'd be nowt else to buy and have one less thing to debate.

It is good value for money, I grant that. However, as anyone who has travelled around with the stuff (and i'm not talking about just going from one side of the pennines t'other) will tell you, one day it may work like a dream, but move on to somewhere else and it might as well be made of plastic. Any contender for best soap in the world would have to be epic everywhere, but the point is mute - if we found a universally accepted 'best soap in the world' - there'd be nowt else to buy and have one less thing to debate.
I shall take it on my travels whenever I go to try and find the difficult parts. Perhaps we could produce a map of the UK that shows where lathering is successful and where it is not...

Could be lanolin sensitivity?

Don't think so as there's probably more lanolin in Ingram than MWF as it's higher up the ingredients list. There's also a fair bit of it in Astral cream and I whack that on my coupon fairly regularly. It's a fabulous soap no doubt, it just doesn't seem to agree with me is all.

The biggest variable no doubt, is as Carl says, the end user. God it hurts to admit he's right (again)....:p

Don't think so as there's probably more lanolin in Ingram than MWF as it's higher up the ingredients list. There's also a fair bit of it in Astral cream and I whack that on my coupon fairly regularly. It's a fabulous soap no doubt, it just doesn't seem to agree with me is all.

The biggest variable no doubt, is as Carl says, the end user. God it hurts to admit he's right (again)....:p
Fair play :) I suppose everyone's skin is different :)

Back
Top Bottom