Muhle Rocca

It's the razor I want. Have read good reviews, but it's pricey. I already have a brush which cost half as much as the Rocca and does a good job.
I have a R106 and Edwin Jagger R89., but like the idea of stainless steel.
I wondered if anyone knew where I could get it cheaper.

Hi Laburnum, I also had an Edwin J which gives a nice comfortable shave . I was drawn to the Rocca and bought the black handled one. It took a few shaves to get used to it. I get a super close shave with two passes or sometimes one plus touch up. Since using the Rocca, I have had zero irritation or bumps.i did with the EJ sometimes, plus i hardly get cuts. I think this may be due to the head which is such a weight to shave with zero pressure. Handle and the head are perfect. Most blades work well, even a derby although I like Astra and GSB the best. However the feathers are terrible for me in this razor.

The black handled version is cheaper than the Birch or all black. In comparison with other all stainless razors it's a lot cheaper. You can pick it up for £74, as opposed to £90+. The Razorock Mamba is cheaper, the Rockwell 6S is £15 more, so on the face of it a better deal as you get 6 shaving profiles.

I have the Feather ASD2, Rockwell, ATT H2 and the black handle Rocca. I had an ATT R1 but didn't like it and gave it away. All of the razors are stunning but the Rocca is my favourite of all. It's my favourite non-adjustable razor. If I had to give up all these razors except one, I would keep the Rocca. Probably.

Let me qualify for comparison. If you like the Edwin Jagger then the ASD2 is the closest. I love it, but have to concentrate to get the perfect angle in order to get at really close shave. It is the best razor I have used for shaving my chin. The Rocca, has to be handled more carefully, but as long as I get a good WTG/XTG pass over the chin I can shave ATG just as closely in that area without discomfort. The Feather only works for me with Feather blades. The Rocca has shaved with any blade I have loaded.
The Rockwell is a beautiful piece of kit and the best razor I have found for shaving the neck, but the lower plates just aren't aggressive enough for me. I get a beautiful shave with it but only with Feather blades and it's taken a lot of experimentation to get there. The Rocca is not quite as smooth on the neck but it is the smoothest non-adjustable neck razor I have found. It comes close to the Rockwell.
The ATT H2 is close to the Muhle R41 in aggressiveness, but just more precise which means you can get a better result on the first pass. It's my favourite aggressive DE razor. It's the best at blitzing tough whiskers at the corners of my mouth. The Rocca is nowhere near as aggressive, but it does feel as precise and just as effective on those problem whiskers. Both the H2 and Rocca perform well loaded with any blade.

What I love about the Rocca
- looks amazing.
- Agressive enough to take care of really touch stubble in 2 passes, but able to be used ATG even in sensitive areas.
- Wider angle of performance / tolerance than other razors.
- my favourite grip in hand
- Great weight and balance
- works well with every blade I've tried
- it handles like a £200 razor

I finally made up my mind and bought a Rocca razor. Having had comfortable shaving with my R106 and EJ R89 for a few years and usually use Muhle or Persona blades. I have had good shaves with Feather and Kai also.
I have shaved three times with the Rocca with a Muhle blade. I have irritation on the neck and several small nicks. My technique, which hasn't cased irritation, is the same. The shave doesn't feel smooth....what am I doing wrong? Do I persevere?
I "d like to add that it's a beautiful piece of kit and I really want too get used to it!

I finally made up my mind and bought a Rocca razor. Having had comfortable shaving with my R106 and EJ R89 for a few years and usually use Muhle or Persona blades. I have had good shaves with Feather and Kai also.
I have shaved three times with the Rocca with a Muhle blade. I have irritation on the neck and several small nicks. My technique, which hasn't cased irritation, is the same. The shave doesn't feel smooth....what am I doing wrong? Do I persevere?
I "d like to add that it's a beautiful piece of kit and I really want too get used to it!
First and foremost from my limited experience with the Rocca (Only one shave in) I immediately came to the conclusion that it is an aggressive razor. Much more so than the R89 or R106, therefore I am thinking that perhaps you are applying too much pressure?
Maybe you are trying to shave the same way as you have done with your previous razors.
An extremely light touch is all that is required.

Finally I find the Muhle blade horrible YMMV but I would definitely consider an Astra SP, Polsilver SI, Gillette Blue, Personna etc. I have read that some people like Feather blades in them but they must be crazy fools. :p:D

I used the Astra SP for my first shave with my Rocca and was highly impressed. No weepers, No irritation and a very close BBS shave.
Don't hang the towel in after 3 shaves. Try as many blades as you can.
I would leave your skin rest for a few days and give it another go then with a different blade choice.

I personally do not think that the Rocca is a daily beater for me as it is too aggressive but it is definitely a razor for that special occasion.

Best of luck with it. :)

Last edited:
I ,too, used an EJ before the Rocca and the first shaves were awful! Then everything came together for the razor for great shaves. The blades I live in this razor are Astra and Gillette Silver Blue. Feather s are awful, rough and cuts. The head and handle are well balanced, and let the heavier head alone do the work. Zero pressure needed. I get a super close shave after two passes max. My skin has never felt better . No irritation, and no weepers. Be sure and make a good lather to protect your face. Don't think about the angle too much . It will feel right by inxtinct. As guys say, no pressure with thus razor. I shave ever day and gave sensitive skin by the way.

The shave doesn't feel smooth....what am I doing wrong? Do I persevere?

Much the same here after a number of uses. I failed to come to terms with it and the best thing I did was sell it on and purchase an ATT off one of the guys on here. Never looked back. For a daily driver I still use an R89 although at this moment I am falling back in love with my brass Seygus

Last edited:
Patience, Grasshopper. You may be the only one on the planet who has used a Muhle blade more than once. I would recommend Polsilver, Voskhod, or Perma-Sharp. The wisest words ever written on this forum by Master Andreas, are "NO PRESSURE!" Shave the lather, the stubble will follow. Technique takes time.

Muhle blades - eugh - my skin comes out in hives if I just unwrap them and wave them in front of my chin. YMMV.

I know you are an experienced shaver from what you have described - so I am sure you don't need my advice, but just as a reminder I would suggest the following for neck shaving with a new more aggressive razor.

Make sure you have mapped you beard growth - for instance mine grows in completely different directions to most shave videos and guides - if I followed their advice I'd probably slit my neck with a more aggressive razor. You may have got away with XTG passes with a milder razor in the past. I can shave with an EJ89 XTG as a first pass. With an R41 it shreds my neck. YMMV

Slow the shave down and take time to learn the new shaving geometry of the razor head. Smaller stroke, check angle, adjust, continue. With the EJ89 and R106 you are probably shaving instinctively. With the Rocca you have to start again maybe. I know this can seem a pain in the neck, but think of it as an exploration. It will take longer initially but you soon speed up.

Light pressure. It sounds counter intuitive but - sharper blades with a much lighter touch. Could you perhaps be using pressure with the milder razors that you own?

I would suggest ensuring good prep. Good preshave, massaged, soaked and then lifted with heat. I would also suggest a cream for an aggressive razor - Proraso or TOBS. When you are more used to the razor you can switch back whatever you prefer currently.

Keeping my fingers crossed this works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that I have single muhle blade left in my blade box. Tonight I will shave using it in an EJ89 on one side of my face and in the Rocca on the other side. Will let you know how it turns out and if I learn anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voicing sentiments above. Muhle blade is not one I associate with good shaves, the Rocca requires (for me at least) a nice, shallow angle and only the most marginal pressure. Grab yourself some different blades. I've found a Nacet performs very well in a Rocca! :)

First and foremost from my limited experience with the Rocca (Only one shave in) I immediately came to the conclusion that it is an aggressive razor. Much more so than the R89 or R106, therefore I am thinking that perhaps you are applying too much pressure?
Maybe you are trying to shave the same way as you have done with your previous razors.
An extremely light touch is all that is required.

Finally I find the Muhle blade horrible YMMV but I would definitely consider an Astra SP, Polsilver SI, Gillette Blue, Personna etc. I have read that some people like Feather blades in them but they must be crazy fools. :p:D

I used the Astra SP for my first shave with my Rocca and was highly impressed. No weepers, No irritation and a very close BBS shave.
Don't hang the towel in after 3 shaves. Try as many blades as you can.
I would leave your skin rest for a few days and give it another go then with a different blade choice.

I personally do not think that the Rocca is a daily beater for me as it is too aggressive but it is definitely a razor for that special occasion.

Best of luck with it. :)
You are right Wayne. I shaved this morning and used no pressure at all. A couple of weepers but no irritation, and an extremely smooth and very close shave. Having used R106 and R89 alternately for a couple of years I developed a technique to suit the razor I guess.
Sometimes the obvious doesn't jump out at you! I feel that I'm going to love the Rocca, just a case of treating it with respect!
Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom