My First Lathering failure. (Noob Post)

I've been using Palmolive Cream (Good stuff) for my first few weeks of DE shaving. Never had an issue with it. Leathers up nicely no matter what I do. In fact it would probably be an achievement to make it not lather.

anyway, this isn't a post about Palmolive.

I bought a stick of Erasmic (red box/tallow) today. Took it and tried using it. I did what it said to do (wet face and rub,) but this didn't deposit much on my mush so I wet the stick and went at it with my brush (synthetic). I managed a lather after a time but the weirdest thing happened. I had a nice lather on one side of my face but as soon as i went to the other side it started to disappear! I ended up chasing lather around my face for a few minutes. I eventually gave up and tried shaving. Utter failure. I stopped after the first few strokes and washed it all off and used my Palmolive.

Dreadful. Is this a thing with this soap? it disappears as you load it on your face?

Smells like a knackers yard as well.

However, I am not a man to give up at the first hurdle.

Any tips to make it work? My water is super soft. I did use it with cold water though. Is this a hot water soap?

The stick is rubbish, it's not you that's for sure.

The tub & cream are very good though.
I'd use the stick to wash your hands & run with the Palmolive. Palmolive cream is the equal of many higher end products

Welcome to TSR btw

Hello and welcome to the forum @Rhubarb .

I am a relative newbie but I would suggest you try grating the stick using a cheese grater into a dish and lather it from there.

I have used this method and have found some very positive results.

Hope this help :)

Wayne

Thanks.
I'll try your tip. (this will be a my most unusual usage of a cheese grater ever!)

I've been using Palmolive Cream (Good stuff) for my first few weeks of DE shaving. Never had an issue with it. Leathers up nicely no matter what I do. In fact it would probably be an achievement to make it not lather.

anyway, this isn't a post about Palmolive.

I bought a stick of Erasmic (red box/tallow) today. Took it and tried using it. I did what it said to do (wet face and rub,) but this didn't deposit much on my mush so I wet the stick and went at it with my brush (synthetic). I managed a lather after a time but the weirdest thing happened. I had a nice lather on one side of my face but as soon as i went to the other side it started to disappear! I ended up chasing lather around my face for a few minutes. I eventually gave up and tried shaving. Utter failure. I stopped after the first few strokes and washed it all off and used my Palmolive.

Dreadful. Is this a thing with this soap? it disappears as you load it on your face?

Smells like a knackers yard as well.

However, I am not a man to give up at the first hurdle.

Any tips to make it work? My water is super soft. I did use it with cold water though. Is this a hot water soap?
I have a trick for all sticks where by I slice off slivers and push down into my lather bowl or scuttle. Never failed even with Erasmic. I did find the stick needed more of a heavy work out.

I have a trick for all sticks where by I slice off slivers and push down into my lather bowl or scuttle. Never failed even with Erasmic. I did find the stick needed more of a heavy work out.
You could push Erasmic? Blimey :D It's one of the hardest sticks I've ever come across. Trump could build his wall with them easily :D

That said, when treated like a fresh puck of MWF (soaked), it softened nicely, and makes for a nice soap to use.

I would chuck it in the bin the new formulation of the stick just makes it crumble very easily and the lather dissipates! YMMV of course.....

I would chuck it in the bin the new formulation of the stick just makes it crumble very easily and the lather dissipates! YMMV of course.....

This is exactly what I am finding. The soap is very hard and brittle and the lather disappears as quickly as you make. Bizzare stuff.

I'll try it again using the tips here. if it doesn't work next time, in the bin it goes!

Update.

After reading many a review that the Amber manufactured red box Erasmic is utter garbage and that the lather does indeed disappear quicker than you can make it, I took it back and got a refund.

I normally wouldn't be bothered with a refund for the money it cost as YMMV with this kinda stuff, but it was just so genuinely awful I felt offended that they made/sold this.

I'm turning into a grumpy old man lol.

Update.

After reading many a review that the Amber manufactured red box Erasmic is utter garbage and that the lather does indeed disappear quicker than you can make it, I took it back and got a refund.

I normally wouldn't be bothered with a refund for the money it cost as YMMV with this kinda stuff, but it was just so genuinely awful I felt offended that they made/sold this.

I'm turning into a grumpy old man lol.

I totally agree with the fact that you sent it back. Well done on you. There are probably loads of us who would not bother and that is undoubtedly why they continue to sell it. :rolleyes:

From a fellow grumpy old man :)

The sticks have been discontinued. Amber House, the current brand owners, have confirmed this to me. Not many tallow based sticks around any more.

"Thanks for your recent email regarding our shave stick.

Unfortunately the shave stick has recently been discontinued, so I'm afraid the stock in stores is soon to be depleted. One of the major soap manufacturers in the UK went into administration before Christmas and a lot of companies are struggling to resource their soaps. We have come to the decision that due to the substantial increase in the price of production, and therefore the price our customers would have to pay (over 3x more), that we would discontinue the shave stick with much sadness.

This was our best seller in Erasmic, so it's a shame to have to see it go and the decision did not come easily,

Thanks again for contacting us, and perhaps you would find our Shave Soap Bowl or Lather Shave Cream to be a suitable replacement in its absence."

Back
Top Bottom