L' Oreal face wash
Warm Towel prep
Palmolive Original cream
Omega Pro 49 Boar
Merkur 34c HD
Astra SP (new)
L'Oréal postbalm
CK aftershave.

I promised to myself to really concentrate on my shaving technique.
For the first time I used my left hand for the left side of my face.
This to me is so much more difficult than it looked.
1st pass resulted in much more stubble on my left side than right.
2nd pass a little better but by no means to a standard that I would want and my third pass has left me still with a sandpaper feel on the left side of my face.
Some parts of my right side (Cheeks) are smooth.

Message to myself:
Must keep practising, must keep reading and MUST NOT become despondent.
On a positive note at least I did not cut myself.

lots to learn guys! :)

Well I have just had my fourth every DE shave:

L' Oreal face wash
Warm Towel prep
Palmolive Original cream
Omega Pro 49 Boar
Merkur 34c HD
Astra SP (new)
L'Oréal postbalm
CK aftershave.

I promised to myself to really concentrate on my shaving technique.
For the first time I used my left hand for the left side of my face.
This to me is so much more difficult than it looked.
1st pass resulted in much more stubble on my left side than right.
2nd pass a little better but by no means to a standard that I would want and my third pass has left me still with a sandpaper feel on the left side of my face.
Some parts of my right side (Cheeks) are smooth.

Message to myself:
Must keep practising, must keep reading and MUST NOT become despondent.

lots to learn guys! :)
Well done, we were all in your position once, keep at it :) do you have reason for using your left hand to shave the left side of your face?

I am a newbie, but I have only heard of changing hands when one uses a cut throat. I wonder if your problem with left side of your face was down to changing hands.

Thanks for your reply Dave.
I hope you are right because I can't seam to get to grips with the idea of left hand shaving.
I had a much better shave using just my right hand last time.
As I said much to learn :)

Any time.. If you can, and you are right handed try to use your right hand only, unless there is a good reason for using your left hand to shave the left side of your face.

My previous shaves were all right handed and I felt comfortable with that. I think where the problem began was me watching a youtube video where a guy suggested using both hands.
In saying that it may well have been for straight razor shaving.
Brain overload. :)

My previous shaves were all right handed and I felt comfortable with that. I think where the problem began was me watching a youtube video where a guy suggested using both hands.
In saying that it may well have been for straight razor shaving.
Brain overload. :)
Ah, I see, yes just use your right hand and use your left hand to slightly stretch your skin where you need to while you are shaving....neck area ect. If your skin is taught you have less chance of the razor skipping and nicking yourself.

I'm only on my 8th or 9th DE shave, and I've found I'm getting a better shave each time. I can't use my left hand, right hand for both sides. Don't despair, you'll get the hang of it, I'm learning each shave.

Thank you Shaun, I certainly won't be trying that again.
As I mentioned I am experiencing "TTO" Tutorial Video Overload and my brain can't cope :)

It's all a learning curve...no pressure,learning your technique, good preparation.. learn to train your mind to shave the lather from your face ,rather than the stubble this helps me ,with excellent results..the use of both hands, i'm still learning myself..and most of all enjoy your new shaving experience..I use to hate shaving with a passion, but since i introduced myself to DE shaving in 2016, it's now one of my pleasures.Regards.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom