new brush smell?

OK stating the obvious here that badger and boar hair come from dead animals, but should New brushes made from them smell like that's where they come from?
The other day I shaved with a new badger hair exquisite brush and thought what a horrible wet dog smell which I blamed on the green proraso cream. Now this afternoon I've given my Kent brush it's maiden outing with Eaton college cream and quite frankly it stank!
So are you supposed to man up the first few shaves till the smell goes, or is there a trick to get rid of the smell?

OK stating the obvious here that badger and boar hair come from dead animals, but should New brushes made from them smell like that's where they come from?
The other day I shaved with a new badger hair exquisite brush and thought what a horrible wet dog smell which I blamed on the green proraso cream. Now this afternoon I've given my Kent brush it's maiden outing with Eaton college cream and quite frankly it stank!
So are you supposed to man up the first few shaves till the smell goes, or is there a trick to get rid of the smell?
The funky smell will go, you can speed this up by cleaning your brush with your normal shampoo or I've read that dog shampoo will also work but don't worry, it will go in the end.

The funky smell will go, you can speed this up by cleaning your brush with your normal shampoo or I've read that dog shampoo will also work but don't worry, it will go in the end.
In the end??? I think I will try your suggestion of shampoo, funky shaves are definitely not my cup of tea.:)

I've usually complete a couple of test lathers first, and maybe clean in shampoo, but it can still take a little longer for the funk to go.

Not over pleasant, but as mentioned it shouldn't last long.

I always wash a new brush with ordinary shampoo or conditioner two or three times then use it with an oversize amount soap or cream to work up a massive lather all through the bristles then leave it like that for an hour or whatever in the bowl before rinsing thouroughly. Usually gets rids of the vast amount of wet dog straight away?

The smell will disappear in some days.

It depends on the brush, some smell more than others... but I usually palmlather with a new brush, say 4-5 times, three rounds, to both break it in and smooth down the 'dead dog' smell.

BWok0Rk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom