New brush/synthetic brush recommendation

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and wanted a bit of advice on my next brush purchase.

I started DE shaving a short time ago and have a boar hair brush (Semogue 1438).

I have been reading a lot on how good synthetic brushes are nowadays and read that some can perform as good as and some even outperform badger hair brushes. I read that synthetic brushes need no breaking in, dry quickly and are relatively maintenance free, and the only downside I read on them is they don't retain as much water and heat as a badger.

I'd considered a badger brush, but read that there is more care involved with these and also a break-in period and also badger hair brushes can sometime be prone to been a bit smelly and also a good badger brush can be a bit pricey. So this has put me off badger hair brushes somewhat.

On the reading of the reviews on various sites and elsewhere, I have got a shortlist of synthetic brushes that seem to be well liked. I'm not too concern on the price as this will be my second and last brush. I am drawing the line, and don't see any need for me to own anymore than two of everything in my shaving gear (I'll probably break that rule with soaps, aftershaves, balms etc) but for razors, brushes I only want to own two.

I must admit to having a soft spot for the Simpson brush design, and I do like the Simpson Synthetic brush, despite its high price for a synthetic brush, but I won't let design bias my decision, as its how the brush performs, is ultimately what matters.

My shortlist of what I have read good on, with synthetic brushes are:

RazoRock Plissoft – Big Bruce.
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger.

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and wanted a bit of advice on my next brush purchase.

I started DE shaving a short time ago and have a boar hair brush (Semogue 1438).

I have been reading a lot on how good synthetic brushes are nowadays and read that some can perform as good as and some even outperform badger hair brushes. I read that synthetic brushes need no breaking in, dry quickly and are relatively maintenance free, and the only downside I read on them is they don't retain as much water and heat as a badger.

I'd considered a badger brush, but read that there is more care involved with these and also a break-in period and also badger hair brushes can sometime be prone to been a bit smelly and also a good badger brush can be a bit pricey. So this has put me off badger hair brushes somewhat.

On the reading of the reviews on various sites and elsewhere, I have got a shortlist of synthetic brushes that seem to be well liked. I'm not too concern on the price as this will be my second and last brush. I am drawing the line, and don't see any need for me to own anymore than two of everything in my shaving gear (I'll probably break that rule with soaps, aftershaves, balms etc) but for razors, brushes I only want to own two.

I must admit to having a soft spot for the Simpson brush design, and I do like the Simpson Synthetic brush, despite its high price for a synthetic brush, but I won't let design bias my decision, as its how the brush performs, is ultimately what matters.

I have a Razorock Big Bruce and it's a great brush and this is from someone who prefers badger and boar, cheap enough too but there are many brand's out there to check out so take your time and see what others have to say.
Good luck. P .

I have a Razorock Big Bruce and it's a great brush and this is from someone who prefers badger and boar, cheap enough too but there are many brand's out there to check out so take your time and see what others have to say.
Good luck. P .

Thanks for the help.

Yeah definitely open to other recommendations from the two I've mentioned.
I shortlisted the two I mentioned based on the good I have read and watched on them, and also, the reviews on the shaving websites that I use.

Thanks again :)

You can't go wrong with the Razorock synths. Personally I prefer the Simpson Chubby 2 synth but it is quite a lot more expensive and others haven't liked it. Between the two the Razorock splays more easily but the Chubby has softer tips. Normally synths don't have a break in period but I did find that my Chubby knot seemed to relax a bit after a few uses.

My favourite synth is my 30mm Mervyn Cadman tuxedo, more expensive but really beautiful brushes and Merv is a total gent to work with. Just throwing that in there as you mentioned this being your last brush...

I got a Razorock Plissoft Barber handle synth and have been very happy with it. Nice and soft. If you like loud colours then there is the 'Italian' striped design of it too. Cost £18. If you want to spend double that then the EJ / Muhle ones seem popular.

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I thought I might address a few ‘Myths' regarding badger brushes as it can be quite daunting to a new comer.

The break-in period for most badger brushes is a lot shorter than a boar brush. They tend to loosen up after 5 uses and just get softer over time.

The ‘funky' smell on most brushes goes after a couple of uses and the smell is not usually strong anyway. Wash the brush through with normal shampoo and lather it up with your strongest smelling soap/cream you have to hand when it arrives. You can leave the lather in the brush over night and rise it through the next day. If the smell is still there just repeat the process or just use it and it will go after a couple of uses.

After care is very minimal and treat it just like your Boar brush. Rise the brush through, towel dry and leave it to air dry. DON'T leave it in a cupboard as this can cause mould to form.

Badger brushes can be very expensive but there's been a couple of companies making affordable, good quality brushes over the pass year or so. Search for Maseto and Yaqi. I can't speak for Yaqi as I don't own anything by them but they have great reviews from members on here.
Maseto brushes are stunning. I own a few high end brushes by Simpsons, Thäter and shavemac and the Maseto holds its own against those.

Here's a review I did on the Silvertip Maseto http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...ons-maseto-24mm-silvertip-badger-brush.44229/

https://yaqibrush.aliexpress.com/store/2986023

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-2-Ban...-Classic-E-I-H-Handle-30mm-Knot-/222189264774

I thought it best to answer a few questions as it's a shame not to try a badger brush.

Good luck

Cheers
Rob

I thought I might address a few ‘Myths' regarding badger brushes as it can be quite daunting to a new comer.

The break-in period for most badger brushes is a lot shorter than a boar brush. They tend to loosen up after 5 uses and just get softer over time.

The ‘funky' smell on most brushes goes after a couple of uses and the smell is not usually strong anyway. Wash the brush through with normal shampoo and lather it up with your strongest smelling soap/cream you have to hand when it arrives. You can leave the lather in the brush over night and rise it through the next day. If the smell is still there just repeat the process or just use it and it will go after a couple of uses.

After care is very minimal and treat it just like your Boar brush. Rise the brush through, towel dry and leave it to air dry. DON'T leave it in a cupboard as this can cause mould to form.

Badger brushes can be very expensive but there's been a couple of companies making affordable, good quality brushes over the pass year or so. Search for Maseto and Yaqi. I can't speak for Yaqi as I don't own anything by them but they have great reviews from members on here.
Maseto brushes are stunning. I own a few high end brushes by Simpsons, Thäter and shavemac and the Maseto holds its own against those.

Here's a review I did on the Silvertip Maseto http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...ons-maseto-24mm-silvertip-badger-brush.44229/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MS-2-Ban...-Classic-E-I-H-Handle-30mm-Knot-/222189264774

I thought it best to answer a few questions as it's a shame not to try a badger brush.

Good luck

Cheers
Rob

Thanks very much for all the help and info, interesting to hear that about badger brush and from what you have said, it might be a brush type to consider. Thanks again.

I have two synthetics.
A RazoRock 400 24mm, and a YaqI 24mm.
They both perform very well. Easy to load with both soaps and creams. Both have very soft tips too. As said, synthetics are easy look after.

I am no great expert on brushes and see a brush as a function and if it functions as it should I am happy.

I do prefer my synthetic overall as it does function and as said previously it is a doddle to maintain. However I feel more fulfilled using my badger and I love all the scents it holds from shaves past. Something my synthetic doesn't.

For me it six of one half a dozen of the other. Both are great to have to hand

Good luck

Cheers
Rob
Thanks for dispelling the Myths about badgers. Although I use a Muhle synthetic for travelling I'm not a fan of synthetics in general. I like the 2 boars I have but I much prefer my badgers. As far as I can remember, my least expensive is a Simpson X2L Colonel with a best badger knot. Of my 30 badger brushes The Colonel is one that I would keep, come hell or high water; to me it offers the best combination of quality, performance and price.

Hey guys.

I've read quite a few posts on here and also on other forums about Yaqi brushes. Anyhow, I went online and found some that are sold by a UK shop, and wondered what your opinion is on it (if you own the same brush)?

And also, how would it compare to the RazoRock Plissoft – Big Bruce,
Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger, that I mentioned in my opening post?

Here's the details and a photo of the Yaqi brush that I am interested in:

26MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Color handle Tuxedo Hair Knot Shaving Brush.

The brush has a 26mm Knot, loft size 57mm, handle height 65mm, widest part of the handle diameter 40mm.

The brush is only £14.50 (or $20.50) so it is a really good price, providing the quality and performance are there.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 44
26MM Yaqi Mysterious Space Color handle Tuxedo Hair Knot Shaving Brush.

The brush has a 26mm Knot, loft size 57mm, handle height 65mm, widest part of the handle diameter 40mm.

The brush is only £14.50 (or $20.50) so it is a really good price, providing the quality and performance are there.

I have that particular brush, and it's a good brush. I found the knot itself to be about 28mm wide. It's a bit on the floppy side of things if that should be an issue for you, but the tips are very soft and it splays the best of the 4 Yaqi Brushes I have.

Btw, if you buy from Yaqi in China they deliver to the UK in about 2 weeks and IMO that would be how I would purchase one of their brushes, as in light of any potential problems Yaqi are superb in sending out replacements.

I might try one of the Yaqi brushes at some point, as they do pop up on the UK eBay site from time to time and are very cheap.

Just to update:
On recommendations on here and elsewhere, I went with the Razorock Big Bruce and the Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic.
I've been doing some practice lathering with them, and also with the new lathering bowl (that I got at the same time) and my lathering skills are improving.

Both of the brushes are incredibly soft (I cannot believe how soft they both are), with the Big Bruce been probably the one that splays the easiest (although I don't splay the brushes as I just do back and forth strokes).

I'll continue to do some more practice lathering, and I plan to post a review on here, of the Razorock Big Bruce, Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic, and also the lathering bowl that I have mentioned. I will probably leave it for around a month, so that I can spend more time with them, to give a better opinion on them.

Thanks very much everyone for all the help and advice, really appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom