New DE users, it's gonna take a little while

Hiya,

I guess this thread comes about from me reading so many new to wet shaving experiences, most of em being somewhat 'challenging' in certain ways. Whatever...the main point being the needed skills aren't learned inna couple days.

To be honest with y'all who don't know, it takes a month to start getting regularly good, but not great shaves. Seems to me, maybe 25-30 times will get the trial/error thing under control, along with how to make a decent lather and pressure and the right angle. After a month it gets lots easier.

Two weeks is even a very good start and big improvements start showing up. Yep, this 'hobby' needs at least 10-15 sessions to start figuring out and the shaves start coming together which is a kick!

Figure on taking a full month to learn something you'll have forever, something most people don't share. Actually enjoying shaving of all the goofy things. Having fun shaving crap to use and getting excellent shaves to boot.

Martin

I'm on my second shave & still struggling, obviously. Nevertheless, shaving has become a special ritual for me. I really enjoy prepping for the shave, actually doing it (even if I get several nicks), and moisturizing after. My wife says I'm turning into a true gentleman, so I must be doing something right! Hopefully shave 30 will be closer to perfection.

I for one totally agree with your comments.
I am treating it as a new adventure. A little blood may be lost on the way but IMHO it is worth it. :)
You're not a real man until you bleed a bit, hehe!

One more thing, my shaves improved exponentially when I mapped my beard growth. I watched one of Kevy's videos on YouTube and just ran cotton wool over my growth. The next shave was amazing.
Hi Matt,
Can you supply me the link please? I cannot find it.
I would like to see the video with the cotton wool trick.
Many thanks
Wayne

Hiya,

Couple things I should mention that will make things go a bit smoother in the beginning.

First thing is picking the right razor/blade combo. Do NOT go for a very aggressive razor coupled with an extremely sharp blade. This set up translates into a shave that requires good technique, which new DE users ain't got. Plus, it's very possible that this extreme situation isn't even needed to get a great shave. Most experienced shavers don't use a razor with lots of bite or a Feather blade. Both can be overkill. No slants or open comb types at first....ok?

Make it easy on yourself and get a mild razor and forgiving blade to practice on. Keep in mind your lather's gonna be lousy at first, so this'll help minimize any discomfort or blood.

Far as pressure goes, my opinion is that most razors will need a bit of bearing down on certain areas like my chin and jawline. Only extremely heavy pieces weighing over 100g can be used without any help. Injectors even more so, since they weigh so little. Main thing in either case is to keep the blade from chattering or skipping around during the stroke. That's what works for me in any case.

Martin

Remembering back to when I switched from cartridges it must've been about a month before I really started to get good shaves. Pretty much every shave for the first couple of weeks involved blood and the use of a styptic pencil.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your wise words.

I am finding that I am having a lovely clean shave but the left side of my cheek/face is no where near BBs in comparison to my right side.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a side of the face that proves more difficult to remove the facial hair?

Last edited:
At least for me, the worst DE shave was better than the best disposable razor shave. Seriously, I actually took to DE shaving like a duck to water. I think for the simple facts that my first DE was a Schick Krona and with Personna Israeli blades and Cella shave soap. Even years later I could do a Helluva lot worse regarding those choices!! I rarely cut myself even then and only had a few ingrown hairs & then only when I went overboard in search of the elusive BBS for which I quickly ceased pursuit of.

Even if wet shaving doesn't turn out exactly as you'd imagined you will be a better person for the overall experience IMO. However, give it time and chances are it will be all you envisaged & more. ;)

Back
Top Bottom