New Razor - Help

A

Aaron1983

Ok so, im shopping for a new razor.

Either a gillette - fatboy or slim
Or the new rockwell....or above the tie.

I am in two minds about all of them and really cant make up my mind. I have heard so many good things about gillette fatboys and slims.
I would really love to own a Above the tie M1 though....

If you have any of these, id like to hear what you have to say about them. Hopefully you can help me decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a Fatboy and Slim, also have the new Rockwell model T on order.

You are smart to want to go with an adjustable razor. It is like owning many razors in one.

Fatboy: hefty and well balanced, some people dislike the high domed head profile.

Slim: well balanced but lacking the compact weight and thickness of the fatboy. Slimmed down head profile. Many people like the longer handle.

Should you go with either of these razors, once you figure out your preference (setting), you will be able to zero in on other Gillette razors that offer a comparable shave, as those are well known.

Rockwell Model T: has a Soviet bloc 1970's design esthetic. Ugly as shit to my eyes. I ordered it because I said I would buy any modern twist to open adjustable, and I'm a man of my word. I was hoping for a Fatboy replica...

I prefer the Fatboy. It doesn't shave any better than the slim, but it just looks better. It's solid and beautiful in a way that few other razors are. It's the equivalent of a coffee table book- a conversation starter. People want to pick it up and look at it.

Thanks for that info. I have only heard great things about the fat boy but there aren't many for sale in the uk. And the ones that are for sale are not in good condition.

The slim affords a smooth, unfussed shave at any setting and I'd describe it as a civilised, easy to get to know razor with no quirks or ' getting to know you ' features. If you have large handies it's a fairly small, light neat piece of kit which may be just too short handled for your taste. A good one is a keeper and you can always pretend you're Sir Sean being James Bond every time you use it.

JohnnyO. o/

The slim affords a smooth, unfussed shave at any setting and I'd describe it as a civilised, easy to get to know razor with no quirks or ' getting to know you ' features. If you have large handies it's a fairly small, light neat piece of kit which may be just too short handled for your taste. A good one is a keeper and you can always pretend you're Sir Sean being James Bond every time you use it.

JohnnyO. o/

I only like short handles so this razor might be my style then. I prefer handles like the merkur 34c or the Above the tie Atlas.

I have tried a Fatboy and didn't like it; too bulky and pig ugly imo. I have a Slim and find it ok to use but no better than many other razors. Problems with Fatboys and Slims is that they're old and have many moving parts so more likely to be worn out or gunked up with soap etc. over the years. They're difficult to get, expensive and a lottery whether you get a good one or not.

Similar for ATT, they're expensive and you may not get on with them. Plus you have to decide if you like the M, R or H plates, open or closed comb, or even slant. Could end up costing a lot.

Personally I'd recommend a Progress (or even Parker Variant, which seems to be a clone). I've always got good shaves from my Progress.

I'd also recommend the Rockwell 6S, although I've not tried one, it gives you many choices in aggression and many people swear by it.

Lots to think about there.

A perfect summary from @PLANofMAN

Slim & Fatboy both equally great shavers.

I'd recommend buying a Fatboy from here (or other wet shaving forum) as, you'll get a fair & honest description rather than having to take a complete punt on some eBay auction.

I have an ATT S2, beautifully made. Different thing entirely, it is lovely, however, I'd give it up before the Fatboy.

I have tried a Fatboy and didn't like it; too bulky and pig ugly imo. I have a Slim and find it ok to use but no better than many other razors. Problems with Fatboys and Slims is that they're old and have many moving parts so more likely to be worn out or gunked up with soap etc. over the years. They're difficult to get, expensive and a lottery whether you get a good one or not.

Similar for ATT, they're expensive and you may not get on with them. Plus you have to decide if you like the M, R or H plates, open or closed comb, or even slant. Could end up costing a lot.

Personally I'd recommend a Progress (or even Parker Variant, which seems to be a clone). I've always got good shaves from my Progress.

I'd also recommend the Rockwell 6S, although I've not tried one, it gives you many choices in aggression and many people swear by it.

Lots to think about there.

Thanks mate. Already have a progress [emoji16]

Ok so, im shopping for a new razor.

I have heard so many good things about gillette fatboys and slims.

If you have any of these, id like to hear what you have to say about them. Hopefully you can help me decide.

Hi there,

Not meaning to sound like the grizzled old veteran when it comes to shaving crap, but that's a good a description as any when it comes to knowing about many US made Gillettes. Finally moved from near Chicago just last year after running into a LOT of old Gillettes and Merkurs and a few other gem like things in the wild for the last 10 years or so. These items were almost always nearly free, since it was just old and nasty and unsanitary looking shaving crap. Ahhh, the golden era.......heh. You may have heard Lake Michigan bait shops in the 50s and 60s had a basket of various used double edge razors to be used as 'sinkers' and given out to the perch fishermen for nothing.

Anyway, my point is you need to try both the Slim and Fatboy. All the polls of which is a favorite come out pretty close, with logical reasons for each side. I can tell you in my case the Fatboy is a long and tightly culled rotation favorite and I never use a Slim. It's that big a difference.

They're designed with different heads....that's the main thing. Oh, if you do like the Slim, odds are a bunch of other razors will fit as well such as the Super Adjustables and some Super Speeds.

So give em a shot and see what happens.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom