New SE razor - Rocnel

Some of you may already be familiar with this small company out of Istanbul as they already have a rather attractive DE razor on the market (The P1):
2nkrhjk.jpg

It come in a very attractive wooden box (and I believe the new SE will as well) - looks like something @PLANofMAN might like :)
f3tg6u.jpg

Rocnel hand-machines their products and according to their site they are able to product three razors per week.

You can read about their production process here and see the machines used here.
They use a wide variety of equipment - from new...to old Japanese machines from the 1930's:
2m7byfs.jpg

Anyway - the new offering is a SE razor.
The Rocnel SE uses DE blades snapped in half and is still in pre-production taking pre-orders but I believe they are ramping up to start production very soon if not already.
The price for the SE razor that you see online, is, I believe a 'deposit' of $25 that you make towards the final purchase of the razor. Not sure what it will cost in the end.

34oohuo.jpg

9rlpo0.jpg

biwfb9.jpg

Looks like an interesting and attractive razor.

Who knows...maybe a pass-around ;)

Begs the question..............WHY?
Don't see the benefit of that design, other than some of the single blades being cheaper. Would have been right up my street, and I imagine many others, if it had been true single edge injector blades.

If a 'SAP' is a handle, then it's it's 120mm long for the DE. It is me but I am going to say it - too long! So is £205 too much for me.

Yon photo makes the SE look vicious!

Both very purty and very shiny so I'm having a hard time resisting!

Begs the question..............WHY?
Don't see the benefit of that design, other than some of the single blades being cheaper. Would have been right up my street, and I imagine many others, if it had been true single edge injector blades.

I think, and this is me speculating, that the 'benefit' is that you have a much wider variety of razor blades to choose from than the very few SE blades that are around.
How this particular design makes the actual shave feel different than using the same, unsnapped, DE blade in a DE razor I have no idea though. I'd love to find out though :)

My pre-order is in. And no, no need to give any billing info - it's just to get onto the list.
We'll see what happens next month.

"You have successfully completed your order. Our customer service representative will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you for choosing us."

The guy over there, Murat, seems ok. His English is so-so in emails but this could be a really fun razor to pick up.

From a post he made over on the DFS forum where he has an account:
My little knowledge of English . My goal is to provide the world's most affordable to the consumer the highest quality razors . Production is carried out with 0.01mm accuracy. We just , we use 316 stainless steel . I 'm also 15 years of classic shaving . Blade settings are doing very well. We produce moderate aggressive product now . We will start mass production in February. Regards

I also emailed Murat about when shipping can be expected he wrote back that actual shipping will begin in March

Last edited:
I think I can answer the why ... because they can and because nobody else is doing that in quite the same way.

I have a less cynical point to add and that is about the vintage Golf razor, the G87 was it? Anyway, that was a Cold War era razor which took a whole DE blade but only presented one edge. On top of only presenting one edge, it only presented a very slim part of that edge ... just the very edge of that edge. The razor was clamped in and the overall effect was very positive, especially for single edge shavers who are used to thicker and more rigid blades - clamped in, the blade did not have that micro-chatter and the overall effect was very much like a single edge shave.

This razor could ... could (wishful thinking) be like that. But, by the look of it, there is still quite a blade presentation but that's not to say it won't work as per the Golf. Given the price, I think I'll be in for one.

I think I can answer the why ... because they can and because nobody else is doing that in quite the same way.

I have a less cynical point to add and that is about the vintage Golf razor, the G87 was it? Anyway, that was a Cold War era razor which took a whole DE blade but only presented one edge. On top of only presenting one edge, it only presented a very slim part of that edge ... just the very edge of that edge. The razor was clamped in and the overall effect was very positive, especially for single edge shavers who are used to thicker and more rigid blades - clamped in, the blade did not have that micro-chatter and the overall effect was very much like a single edge shave.

This razor could ... could (wishful thinking) be like that. But, by the look of it, there is still quite a blade presentation but that's not to say it won't work as per the Golf. Given the price, I think I'll be in for one.
The Golf 71. What piece of East German designed piece of shit that was. I'd rather drive a plastic/cardboard Trabant car than shave with that contraption. Flimsy like the flimsiest thing in flimsyland. Probably my most regretted purchase ever. That and a cheap half DE shavette. Sorry, I'm getting carried away :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom