New to this. Help needed

Hello and welcome. I would start with something not to expensive like a shavette or a cheep vintage straight.
If you decide to go for a vintage be sure to get it honed by someone who knows how to do it properly. DON'T THRUST IT TO BE SHAVE READY even if the seller claims it to be so.
You also need something to strop the blade on. A cheep strop or in worst case a rolled newspaper will do.
Assuming you have a brush and soap or creme,( not caned goo).
Start with the cheeks and don´t go further until you master that section. I takes a while to get the feeling for the right angle.
Remember: no pressure is needed.
When you are confident with that go on to other parts of your face in the same way.
Hope this will help.

Last edited:
@Fergiebilly
^ this guy will point you in the right direction. I took the plunge with straights before going for a DE/SE safety razor. Not quite as scary as you'd think. There are reputable sellers on eBay who do cheap starter razors such as billyji1. Also, it is certainly worthwhile having a strop for blade maintenance :) I also second the above of second hand vintage razors - if they're not shave ready you can get them honed (sharpened) for about £15 a time :)

Hello and welcome, don't worry about shaving with straight razors, that's all our great grand fathers had to use every day! Nothing to fear but fear itself :) speak to @Fergiebilly about what you need to start with, he's our straight man! Happy shaving. Not to say I wasn't nervous when I took my first Kamisori to my face because I was but with pratice the nerves calm down and you start to enjoy more than fear the experance .:)

Last edited:
@Fergiebilly
^ this guy will point you in the right direction. I took the plunge with straights before going for a DE/SE safety razor. Not quite as scary as you'd think. There are reputable sellers on eBay who do cheap starter razors such as billyji1. Also, it is certainly worthwhile having a strop for blade maintenance :) I also second the above of second hand vintage razors - if they're not shave ready you can get them honed (sharpened) for about £15 a time :)
Was that aimed at me you mean, mean temptress ;) :D

I think you are right to be nervous. The trouble these days is that you are on your own when it comes to shaving. We do not usually have Fathers that still possess the knowledge with straight razors to teach us, so we are on a very steep learning curve with a very sharp blade against one of our most valued body parts. Straight razors can inflict serious damage. I'm not trying to put you off at all. I'm just saying what I believe. We have You Tube and forums but nothing will physically prepare you for putting that blade to face no matter how many video's you watch or how many posts you read.
Take it very slowly. Very lightly. @Craggles you do not say if you have any shaving experience with a DE blade or similar?
Straight razors take a fair bit of looking after. You will soon lose the edge with poor maintenance such as stropping incorrectly. The shaving edge is very delicate. I know as I've been there myself.
You have had good advise about where to buy a good razor from and I completely agree with that advise. Take it slowly and steady as it is really satisfying when you get it right.

Best piece of advice I picked up when I taught myself to use a straight was to remember to concentrate on keeping the heel of the blade down, close to the skin. I found I tended to allow it to creep up until the blade was heading towards right angles with my face, which is when it digs in. It 's also easier to begin with your cheeks and clean up elsewhere with your customary razor, working up to the upper lips etc as your proficiency grows. F/Billy is as straight as a die and if you decide to be enabled ( don't we all ! ) he'll see you right both to start and ongoing.
Enjoy fulfilling the dream.

JohnnyO. o/

Hello and welcome to TSR, can't offer any advice re the straights as I don't use one but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.
Have a browse through the straight razor thread on the forum.
Good luck !!!
Thanks very much for the warm welcome and for the advice.

Hello and welcome. I would start with something not to expensive like a shavette or a cheep vintage straight.
If you decide to go for a vintage be sure to get it honed by someone who knows how to do it properly. DON'T THRUST IT TO BE SHAVE READY even if the seller claims it to be so.
You also need something to strop the blade on. A cheep strop or in worst case a rolled newspaper will do.
Assuming you have a brush and soap or creme,( not caned goo).
Start with the cheeks and don´t go further until you master that section. I takes a while to get the feeling for the right angle.
Remember: no pressure is needed.
When you are confident with that go on to other parts of your face in the same way.
Hope this will help.
Hi thanks for your advice very much appreciated

Hello and welcome, don't worry about shaving with straight razors, that's all our great grand fathers had to use every day! Nothing to fear but fear itself :) speak to @Fergiebilly about what you need to start with, he's our straight man! Happy shaving. Not to say I wasn't nervous when I took my first Kamisori to my face because I was but with pratice the nerves calm down and you start to enjoy more than fear the experance .:)
Thanks for the confidence greatly needed

Back
Top Bottom