New User

hello all.
I am new to the world of straight razors, I researched this for a good few years (and put it off) before finally taking the steps of buying all the start up gear, a dovo razor, strop, brush etc etc.
At the moment I am 3 shaves in, as I thought and what the internet told me, the razor is factory shave ready but that is not properly shave ready (please correct me if this is wrong as it could well be poor form with my razor handling skills). The shaves have been goodish, my face is unsliced but it feels like there is a lot of tugging and general pain from the razor.
Should I be looking to get my razor honed?
Also any other help, hints advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve

Hi steve
It could well be sharp but more than likely not shave ready best bet would be to get it honed. As for tugging make sure to keep the skin stretched and start with small strokes at a time.
Hope this helps and the big boys will help out soon with better advice

hello all.
I am new to the world of straight razors, I researched this for a good few years (and put it off) before finally taking the steps of buying all the start up gear, a dovo razor, strop, brush etc etc.
At the moment I am 3 shaves in, as I thought and what the internet told me, the razor is factory shave ready but that is not properly shave ready (please correct me if this is wrong as it could well be poor form with my razor handling skills). The shaves have been goodish, my face is unsliced but it feels like there is a lot of tugging and general pain from the razor.
Should I be looking to get my razor honed?
Also any other help, hints advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve
Steve
I have Honed Many Dovo Razors..They DONT Come Anywhere Near Shave Ready from the Factory..In Fact..The Bevels are Not Set..So..YES..It will Need Honed..If You Want it Honed PM Me..Dovo SRs are Nice Shavers when Properly Honed..:D

Billy

Hello

Thanks for the messages and advice, in the process of sending the razor off to be honed.

I have used it again and the result was much much better, there was a lot less tugging and general soreness, this could have been as a result of watching additional YouTube videos on how to strop and also feeling a little more relaxed about holding/rubbing a weapon down my face ;-)

I will post a message after the razor has been honed.

Thanks Steve

Hello all

So I received my razor back after sending it off to be honed.

I did the hanging hair test and the result was epic, did this at my work desk with an audience, everyone was very impressed.

Since sending the razor away I have been watching lots of YouTube videos in everything straight razor.

The shave was like a different animal, i can see why people give up after one shave when they use the razor out of the box.

My technique still needs work but now I feel happy to continue into becoming a Jedi master in the art of straight razoring. One YouTube video said it takes at least 100 shaves to become competent in using a straight!!

Thanks Steve

Believe it or Not Some Guys Attempt to Shave with a Dovo from the Box for Some Time before the Penny Drops it Needs Honed..It Probably Takes around 30 Shaves to Become Kinda Competent with an SR..I Would Agree with it Takes around 100 Shaves for SR Shaving to Feel Natural..o_O

Videos are Guidelines..The Real Knowledge is in the Practice..Keep it Up..:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom