Newbie Merkur 34 HD opinion

Evening guys.

The Merkur 34HD is the first DE I have ever purchased.
After reading and trying to absorb all the information out there, I decided to settle with the 34.

I have to admit I was so precautionary with my first shave, I think I was "too" scared to commit. (Please keep it to yourselves!;))
The result: Half my face was covered in stubble and half of my neck looked like a turkey.

Studying too many you tube videos is not necessarily the way forward IMHO.
Reading advice from here is.

My second "attempt" went so much better. I almost started to feel proud of myself but was still deep down perhaps not completely satisfied.

My latest shave has been totally "AMAZING."
WOW!. This razor is so considerate when it comes to a newbie and will help you along and accept little errors.
Having said that I would not try and take advantage.
I have only used Astra blades at the moment and have instantly found them outstanding.

To conclude. I feel I have made the best "starter choice" out there.
An awesome razor that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Take care all..

Hi Wayne,
I started with a EJ DE86 which I was quite happy with for many years and then I tried the Merkur 34C. It was just right for me. I tried a few blades and found the Astra SP. For me the combination of the 34C and Astra SP is my favourite setup.

Andy.

Glad it's working for you Wayne, now just try to recall how you feel at this moment in a few days/weeks/months time when you start to wonder how muchly even better you might feel with a different blade/razor/soap.

JohnnyO. o/

Evening guys.

The Merkur 34HD is the first DE I have ever purchased.
After reading and trying to absorb all the information out there, I decided to settle with the 34.

I have to admit I was so precautionary with my first shave, I think I was "too" scared to commit. (Please keep it to yourselves!;))
The result: Half my face was covered in stubble and half of my neck looked like a turkey.

Studying too many you tube videos is not necessarily the way forward IMHO.
Reading advice from here is.

My second "attempt" went so much better. I almost started to feel proud of myself but was still deep down perhaps not completely satisfied.

My latest shave has been totally "AMAZING."
WOW!. This razor is so considerate when it comes to a newbie and will help you along and accept little errors.
Having said that I would not try and take advantage.
I have only used Astra blades at the moment and have instantly found them outstanding.

To conclude. I feel I have made the best "starter choice" out there.
An awesome razor that I would highly recommend to anyone.

Take care all..
I too, am a fan of the 34c Wayne,...have not yet tried an Astra blade as my therapist on here recommends them highly,....have to put some on my next order, when my credit card is returned to me,...;-(

Merkur 34C is the first razor I used when I started, also the only one I haven't sold on. It is a great razor, not just for beginners, a great razor in general. It gives such a good shave that I wonder how I developed RAD.

I myself favour it over a DE89, I like the stubbiness of it and the weight.

I too have a Merkur 34C, i only started DE shaving in 2016..and it never fails to give me excellent shaves..wonderful with a Astra SP...do try different blades with it though, what i've learn't that non-Aggressive razors shave well with aggressive blades, and vice versa,..A wonderful razor to have in your den, and to be honest you should be very happy with it for a long time and get some sublime shave with it...try not to fall into the RAD TRAP!..i've steered myself away from impulsive buying urges!..i've got what i need, not what i want. My two bobs worth of Shaving advice:No Pressure to the razor at all..let the razor do the work... good preparation, map your face, learn your technique, train your mind to shave the lather from your face, rather than the stubble...this works for me with excellent results, and most of all enjoy the shaving experience.Regards.:)

Last edited:
That is a good razor and works well with most blades. I find the Astra SP very good in that razor as you have found.
Youtube videos are subjective and as you have found, the contributors are not all good at demonstrating good technique. Keep at it and you will get there. Stick with the same setup for a couple of months working on technique and good preparation.

Back
Top Bottom