This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie saying hello to all.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum' started by Brennain1, Wednesday February 14, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Just an update to say that I purchased a Merkur 34c, Palmolive stick soap and a Wilkinson brush. Will be buying a selection of blades and probably a better brush, an Omega 49 possibly. Either way will be posting looking for advice, best place to buy and what products to buy. I’ll try to post in the correct forum so please look out for it and any reccomendations gratefully accepted.

Cheers,
    Bren.

2. Welcome Bren, you will find folk helpful here with plenty of advise so you've come to the right place :) Paul.

Wayne Pritchard and Brennain1 like this.
  3. Mbarn

Mbarn

Welcome Bren.
    A nice basic setup you have, ideal as a starting point.

My one piece of advice regarding blade sample packs - save a blade or two from each pack. Track your thoughts now, and re-try in 6 months.
    Whilst a blade you love today will likely still be loved in 6m, a blade you didn’t love could easily change when you’ve dialled in your technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. pimple8

pimple8

Hello and welcome.
    Great choice of equipment to get you started.

Brennain1 likes this.
  5. udrako

udrako

6. invicta

invicta

Good start with those items and the Omega 49 will be a good upgrade. The Wilkinson brush has a small knot but should be okay in the interim and as a travel brush in the future.

BillS and Brennain1 like this.
  7. patw

patw

Hello Bren,welcome to TSR

Brennain1 likes this.
  8. Boru62

Boru62

Hello and welcome to TSR Bren

Brennain1 likes this.
  9. Bizzyberry

Bizzyberry

10. Welcome aboard @Brennain1 .

The 34c and the pro49 was the exact set up I used as an introduction into DE Shaving and I have not looked back since. A great start up kit.

PM me your address and I will send some sample blades for you to try. ;)

Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Wednesday February 14, 2018
    Brennain1 likes this.
  11. jimmyc

jimmyc

12. Hourwerk

Hourwerk

Wee up lad youre in the right place here. Recommendations would start with a great retailer "The Shave Lounge"
    Personally I would advise a synthetic fibre brush. They really do offer everything a bristle brush does but without the hassel of breaking in: https://shavelounge.co.uk/department/shaving/shaving-brushes/synthetic-fibre/
    A decent shaving soap (not cream) will make a huge difference look no further than OSP http://ospsoap.com/
    The best after shaving balm I have ever used, and Ive tried dozens, is Edwin Jagger After Shave Lotion
    https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-jagger-aloe-vera-aftershave-lotion-100ml.html
    Enjoy the journey!

Brennain1 likes this.
  13. Thanks for all the advice guys, most welcome. I’m assuming that the Merkur 34c would be a non aggressive shave so if when I get more experienced which razor would be a sensible upgrade? I also fancy getting myself a decent vintage Gillette to try but buying of EBay would be risky without being able to thoroughly examine the razor first.

14. For a razor I would look at a Parker Variant as you would be able to adjust the aggression to suit your skin. As for a brush, I would look at a synthetic as mentioned. I bought a Razorock and like it very much at about £18 from Shave Lounge. They are great to deal with. For a great soap at an affordable price, have a look at a Tabac shaving stick or bowl. Cheers David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brennain1 likes this.
  15. I would advise against an adjustable for a newcomer as it generates another variable that is only likely to lead to confusion. New DE shavers are likely to experience shaves of variable quality for several weeks if not months until their technique becomes automatic muscle memory, and they need the consistency of a fixed blade gap and exposure to help them improve that technique.

16. BillS

BillS

Hi Bren,

Welcome. I started with a WS brush and went on to get an Omega 49 from Amazon (apologies) quite quickly. A nice choice.

Brennain1 likes this.
  17. I agree with you if Brenn was a complete novice but as I read it, he was talking about the future when he gets more experienced. And as a future purchase then I think it would be a good choice as that is what I did, but my first razor was a DE89. Cheers David

Brennain1 and chrisbell like this.