Nonagon

I wanted to try and make a brush handle with a more geometric shape, but using a material that did not easily lend itself to doing so.

Using bone from the inside of a cow horn has a few challanges. Firstly, it has a natural curve, as well as a twist. It is also hollow for most of its length, thin walled, and very, very hard! These characteristics make working it into a geometric shape, difficult.

I could not see a way to get a square, but working on the natural shape, I did manage a nonagon, albeit, not an equal one!

This is how it turned out.

Handle - Bone from a cow horn
Base - Spalted Beech
Knot - 30mm High Mountain White, set at 50mm.
Mosaic pin - Stainless, brass, and copper.

I am pleased with the result, but it took a lot of hours handwork.

Steve.

I wanted to try and make a brush handle with a more geometric shape, but using a material that did not easily lend itself to doing so.

Using bone from the inside of a cow horn has a few challanges. Firstly, it has a natural curve, as well as a twist. It is also hollow for most of its length, thin walled, and very, very hard! These characteristics make working it into a geometric shape, difficult.

I could not see a way to get a square, but working on the natural shape, I did manage a nonagon, albeit, not an equal one!

This is how it turned out.

Handle - Bone from a cow horn
Base - Spalted Beech
Knot - 30mm High Mountain White, set at 50mm.
Mosaic pin - Stainless, brass, and copper.

I am pleased with the result, but it took a lot of hours handwork.

Steve.
Good job, looks fab. :)

NICE! Very, very, nice. Great contrast of materials Steve. What did you use to seal the bone & timber?

I treated the bone with wood hardener - as if it's not hard enough!!!:eek: The inside is sealed with epoxy.

The Spalted Beech was professionally stabilised.

Final finish is Renaissance Wax, which I have found to hold up well.

My own brush, made from the same material (bone), is about four years old now, and has had no finish applied since the original.

A little sensible care in use, is all that is required.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom