ok im new, but?

I've already broken the cardinals rule about sticking with one set up till your experienced, but anyway moving on life's too short and I always want to see what's round the next corner and over the next hill, So I've been trying different blades, sometimes twice a week, and I seriously can't tell any difference whatsoever!
Feathers, polsilver si, Astra sp, muhle, etc, cut myself with a few, mainly through rushed shaves, so is this something that comes with time, experience?
Please no grasshopper vid links :)

I've already broken the cardinals rule about sticking with one set up till your experienced, but anyway moving on life's too short and I always want to see what's round the next corner and over the next hill, So I've been trying different blades, sometimes twice a week, and I seriously can't tell any difference whatsoever!
Feathers, polsilver si, Astra sp, muhle, etc, cut myself with a few, mainly through rushed shaves, so is this something that comes with time, experience?
I think you need to stick with a blade to really get to know it and how it performs if you keep chopping and changing you will never be able to get to know your blade. When you have done this grasshopper only then will you be able to appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between blades and then make up your mind to what works for you in any given razor.

I'd consider that quite a blessing.
For me the comfort level of the shave varies tremendously & the longevity too.

I wouldn't see it as a problem if you're getting great shaves regardless,
stock up on the cheapest!

Well I have always worked outside in the elements so it's possible I am a bit less sensitive (my wife would definitely concur)
I'm trying a bic next week, if their disposables are anything to go by I should notice something ???

I think you need to stick with a blade to really get to know it and how it performs if you keep chopping and changing you will never be able to get to know your blade. When you have done this grasshopper only then will you be able to appreciate the sometimes subtle differences between blades and then make up your mind to what works for you in any given razor.
You vewy funny man,me like you long time.

I'm like you @vassili I have been trying different razors and blades pretty much from when I started DE shaving. In any one week I might use as many as 3 or 4 different blades and switch between DE and SE razors.

As @JayGee says count yourself lucky if you can shave with almost any blade!

Regarding the BIC blades, I found these to be pretty good I even bought some more. And regarding the BIC disposable, I had memories of these being horrible tear your face to shreds and/or leaving your face feeling like it was on fire. Well I took one away with me a few months ago on a business trip and found that with good prep, a good soap and shaving with no pressure, that they work quite well. Not as good as a proper DE/SE razor but not bad, maybe they are better made now than when I was younger, but I suspect it was more to do with just shaving properly, something I think I never did for all the years I was a cartridge shaver.

I'm like you @vassili I have been trying different razors and blades pretty much from when I started DE shaving. In any one week I might use as many as 3 or 4 different blades and switch between DE and SE razors.

As @JayGee says count yourself lucky if you can shave with almost any blade!

Regarding the BIC blades, I found these to be pretty good I even bought some more. And regarding the BIC disposable, I had memories of these being horrible tear your face to shreds and/or leaving your face feeling like it was on fire. Well I took one away with me a few months ago on a business trip and found that with good prep, a good soap and shaving with no pressure, that they work quite well. Not as good as a proper DE/SE razor but not bad, maybe they are better made now than when I was younger, but I suspect it was more to do with just shaving properly, something I think I never did for all the years I was a cartridge shaver.

I had this exact experience this morning with an unbranded disposable cartridge from a hotel. With my (albeit limited, ie one month) experience it wasn't too bad actually with proper prep and no pressure! It wasn't sharp and tugged at every single hair but taking time to prep and shave it was a very reasonable result!

As for changing blades, I did the same the first couple of weeks and only noticed minor differences between blades, definitely also due to limited experience, but now sticking to a single blade a bit longer to see how it lasts and now starting to see and feel the differences!

I use two different razors with 12 different blades. But because I have them in two different locations I do use both razors with only their 'own set' of blades.

...moving on life's too short...
...cut myself with a few, mainly through rushed shaves, so is this something that comes with time, experience?

Merriam-Webster defines irony as:

1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

2: a) the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b) a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c) an ironic expression or utterance

3: a) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity
b) incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony

Merriam-Webster defines irony as:

1: a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony

2: a) the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning
b) a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony
c) an ironic expression or utterance

3: a) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity
b) incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
Umm, yes what he said ???:confused:

I changed a lot as I had no patience for sticking with blades I found rough. I bought some mixed sample packs. Personally I found Astra SP, Polsilver and Voshkod the smoothest and most comfortable blades but you may well differ!

Back
Top Bottom