One single stone to get, coticule?

Merkurologist

LeJog 2022 Finisher
I'm thinking about getting a stone to maintain three razors.

I've done some reading and it seems that I can maintain the edge with a single stone, a coticule.

Is anybody doing this successfully?

Where is the best place to get one that is ready to go?

DSC_0733_zpswg4sjfc8.jpg

Here is My Belgian Coticule Barbers Finishing Hone..It Depends what You Mean by Maintain..This Coticule is a Finishing Stone & Will Maintain a Shave Ready SR for Years Probably..Some People Use a SINGLE STONE Coticule as a Progression After they Set the Bevel with a 1 K Naniwa or Something..o_O

Although we Cant Talk about Grit Rating for Natural Stones we Can Talk about Finishing Capacity..My Coticule has around 14/15 K Finishing Capacity or there about Using Lather on the Stone on for Finishing..:rolleyes:

There is a Combination Coticule a Lot of Folks Use..One Side is Blue & the Other Yellowish..For a So Called Single Stone Progression Using Various Slurry Techniques..The Bevel is usually Set on a 1 K Bevel Stone Beforehand..;)

I have a Limited Knowledge but I Do Know the Coticule I Have is a Very Good One with a Higher Grit Finishing Capacity that a Lot of Coticules..:D

Billy

Thanks for that Billy.

Well, what I have in mind is basically maintaining shave ready razors.... a kind of refreshing if you like. I think that would be sufficient for my needs.

I did read something about a combination coticule but maybe that would complicate things. I saw a video where the razor was refreshed in three steps with a coticule and 3 thicknesses of slurry and that sounds perfect for what I need.

Can you suggest a good place to get one? It seems that it's easier to get hold of one in the USA which it's crazy, given the fact they come from Belgium ;)

This is My Advice..There have been a Number of Barber Coticule Paddle Hones on EBay Recently..These were Obviously Hand Selected for Finishing & Refreshing SRs..That Why I Got One..I Knew it was Fit for Purpose..You Don't Need a Combination Hone for Finishing or Refreshing..Also..A Lot of them are Just around the 10 K Finishing Mark..That's Fine but Mine is a Lot Finer than that..:)

Some of these Old Stones Go for a Fair Bit of Money Mind..Alternatively this Vendor here will Hand Select a Fine Coticule for Finishing SRs if You Contact Him..Or So I Am Informed..I Find Mine as Easy to use as a Synthetic..That My Stone Mind as Some Say Not all are Easy to Use.. :D
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...-F4Z1kunTgr0sDWlg&sig2=6h93ktZU8zB6lL8M93sc8g

Billy

Back
Top Bottom