Other interests?

Obviously we all have to shave and found our way here, this becomes an interest in itself.
But I'm sure we have a plethora of interests being as we are brought together by this common denominator only.
So, if I wasn't shaving I would most likely be found working our small holding looking after the stock, hedging, growing our food etc.
I am a self confessed francophile, we spend rather a lot of time over there.
I collect and use late seventies upwards spring powered air rifles, majoring in the eighties.
Sea fish both shore and boat when I can spare the time.
Reading (only in the winter, we have no TV)
Other travel, and occasionally metal detecting, walking.
Thanks for looking. :)

I tend to jump in with both feet with any new interest and spend a lot of time just involved it whatever it is. For instance when I used to have a S11 Land Rover 1961 I would spent all the time I could working on the Land Rover, off roading and just being totaly immersed in it, then I got back in to motor bikes, then a classic MG but always the same, totaly immersed in what I was doing.
I can only spend so much time shaving but still enjoy reading about other peoples experances on the fourm.
I can no longer drive due to health issues but a lot of my time is spent walking my Border terrier Taz along the coastline of Cornwall (local to me) and then the rest of the time recovering from the walk! What my next interest will be I don't know, it just happens and I get all obsessional about it! Strange but true! I have always loved music and enjoy all types but David Bowie is my all time favourite but enough about me, what about you? :)

Last edited:
I collect (and use) vintage and modern fountain pens; at last count I had over 100. Also, I'm a member of the local fountain pen club and frequent several fountain pen forums. Other than that my wife and I enjoy our collection of original art, mainly by Canadian artists; for several years my wife owned an art gallery in our town, which specialized in original Canadian art including folk art from Nova Scotia. We also enjoy travelling, especially in the UK (where our families are) and Europe; our favourite escape is Sark, which we have visited regularly since 1999 and have several good friends there. We travel for at least a month a year and often cruise, but only on small boats, ie <300 passengers. During the summer I do all the gardening, which I find quite enjoyable.

Scouting is my other main interest.

I've had a few Scouting roles but at the moment I'm an Assistant Scout Leader and Training Advisor. The Training Advisor role is making sure and signing off Adult training with the target of adults getting their Wood Badge. I'm also an Air Rifle instructor for Scouts. I may be, if successful the District Commissioner as the role is vacant and I have applied.

It takes up a few hours each week and it's great fun.

Scouting is my other main interest.

I've had a few Scouting roles but at the moment I'm an Assistant Scout Leader and Training Advisor. The Training Advisor role is making sure and signing off Adult training with the target of adults getting their Wood Badge. I'm also an Air Rifle instructor for Scouts. I may be, if successful the District Commissioner as the role is vacant and I have applied.

It takes up a few hours each week and it's great fun.

I really enjoyed my Scouting days in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, both as a Scout and as a Scout Master, latterly; I participated in Scouts in three countries. My children, a boy and two girls, were Scouts too. Unfortunately, none of my grandchildren has seen fit to join the Scouts, although my oldest grandson is in Army Cadets. I haven't kept current with developments, but I hope the movement remains robust.

Golf. Been playing about 18 months. Just treated myself to some new bats which set me back the thick end of two grand. Member of two clubs. Taking lessons. Totally hooked now.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear that you are sticking with your golf and taking it seriously. I remember your posts when you first took it up. I played golf for 36 years, but had to pack it in 10 years ago due to a lower back problem. I often wonder what it would be like to get on the course again to see if the ten year hiatus has improved my game any; no chance though as I don't want the severe back pain I had to return.

I really enjoyed my Scouting days in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, both as a Scout and as a Scout Master, latterly; I participated in Scouts in three countries. My children, a boy and two girls, were Scouts too. Unfortunately, none of my grandchildren has seen fit to join the Scouts, although my oldest grandson is in Army Cadets. I haven't kept current with developments, but I hope the movement remains robust.

The movement is still growing and growing, and waiting lists are growing too.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you are sticking with your golf and taking it seriously. I remember your posts when you first took it up. I played golf for 36 years, but had to pack it in 10 years ago due to a lower back problem. I often wonder what it would be like to get on the course again to see if the ten year hiatus has improved my game any; no chance though as I don't want the severe back pain I had to return.
36 years? Wow. I can't get enough. I reckon I played about 150 rounds in the last 12 months which is about as many as some of the 'golfers' I know play in 5 years. I've set myself a target of 200 rounds this year.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Car detailing has been my hobby for a few years, neighbors think I'm crazy when I spend a couple of days "cleaning" my car.

Football is my other passion, had a season ticket for SWFC for 30+ years.....I should be locked up lol.

Getting into detaling, loving dodo juice wax and poorboys stuff, merlins blood for the alloys. Looking for dash cleaner recommendations? New cars fault.
Air rifles using a bsa ultra tactical 22 single shot, regulated. Eclipse sight, weihrauch moderator and bipod.
Rc helicopters, and quad copters. Spectrum dx6 controller (a few years old now still great kit)
Oh and tools, been a vehicle engineer for 30plus years 34k in tools at last insurance inspection excluding diagnostic kit.
Oh and my fave addiction, florida, every year since 2006 cant wait for my next fix

Back
Top Bottom