This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overcoats

Discussion in 'The Dressing Room' started by Luka, Friday January 19, 2018.

1. Luka

Luka

i bought a lovely charcoal grey overcoat from slaters Manchester (love that shop). And I’m very happy with it , but I was In Bury last week when i saw an amazing overcoat in a shop window I went in and it had been reduced from two hundred quid to one hundred ,anyway I decided not even to try it on , but I’m going back today to see if it’s still in the sale and if they still have my size,but does a man need two overcoats.?

2. One can never have too many coats, as with all sartorial decisions, it should compliment one's outfit. Also alternating them will prolong their looks.

3. Nisse

Nisse

Coats: overcoat, topcoat, trenchcoat, raincoat, you need a couple of each :)

4. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

5. Black Crombie for formal and in town, covert coat for the country, Barbour duffle for leisure, Barbour wax for dog walking,..mackintosh, no,...that's what umbrellas are for.

Wayne Pritchard and Blademonkey like this.
  6. A man should have at least two overcoats, three would be better! :)

Wayne Pritchard, JohnnyO and Benz3ne like this.
  7. I’ve two Barbour now, one a dry wax unpadded which I wear a Barbour quilted jacket. The other is a Barbour Spynie in Black, that’s a padded and hooded one, lovely and warm. I’ve no Mackintosh or Crombie style, but loads of other jackets. Leather A2, Parka among the many.

Wayne Pritchard and Blademonkey like this.
  8. Luka

Luka

Thank you gentlemen , I’ve just come back from Bury with my new coat ,it looks good the sleeves need taking up so he knocked me a tenner off and I’ll take it to an old tailors on shudehill next week, I’dput a photo on but for some reason it won’t let me , it could be the I pad but probably it’s me .After I put the op on, Mrs Luka reminded me that I do indeed have another overcoat in the dark recesses of the spare room which I have hated from day one and rarely worn ,I’ve tried to blank it out of my mind.

9. JohnnyO

JohnnyO

Give your unworn original and unloved coat to your fave charity or charity shop, you're back down to two coats you like and both you and the new recipient will be enjoying a nicey warm feeling this winter ! Great result all round, well played that man.

JohnnyO. o/

10. Nisse

Nisse

Got nothing in wool but a whole bunch of coats in cotton and poly/cotton from Burberrys and Aquascutum and a couple of other brands.

11. BillS

BillS

Thanks for the tip about Slaters, didn't know it existed.

Wayne Pritchard likes this.
  12. Luka

Luka

Yes for me slaters is my first port of call, it caters for all ages it’s quality stuff and the service is second to none and there is no pressure to buy and it does free alterations .in short it’s a good clothes/ shoes shopping experience.

JohnnyO and Wayne Pritchard like this.
  13. Sensible and accurate...

14. Missoni

Missoni

...been after a long, I mean down to the ankles long, wooden overcast...finding it difficult to find the right length. If any one knows a good overcoat stockist / vendor please share...

15. Sabre

Sabre

I have about 6 overcoats, my latest is a HOF own label Howick. Previous coats include a few M&S and Moss Bros.

My wardrobe staples are:

Overcoat - Winter
    Peacoat - Winter, when I am in a James Bond mood
    Rain Coat - Spring and Autumn
    Harrington - Warm Spring/Summer

16. MrK1

MrK1

Can anyone recommend an overcoat for Spring/Summer?

17. Sabre

Sabre

I prefer a classic rain coat...

[​IMG]

MrK1 likes this.
  18. Nisse

Nisse

I would recommend a vintage raincoat from Aquascutum or Burberry or Daks or Grenfell or...

MrK1 likes this.
  19. Sabre

Sabre

Burberry are very over priced. The Aquascutum's are made in Baltic/Eastern European factories that make similar coats for others for a great deal less. Grenfell are still made in England.