Palm stropping

Before opening this thread I used the forums search and found only one thread in the DE section about this topic. Don`t know if you guys discuss that before for single edge blades, if so, don´t get bored or angry and let me know. I will ask if someone will delete this.

Back to topic. Anyone else strops his single edge blades?
Most of the time when I am shaving with a single edge razor, I am using GEM PTFE blades. I am aware that they are coated and some people will say therefore stropping maybe becomes unnecessary.

Using that blades I noticed that after the second shave, for me these blades loose some sharpness and smoothness, especially ATG. But stropping carefully 4 - 5 times each side on my left hands palm, before starting my shave, they get back some sharpness and shave pleasant again.

Do you got same experiences or do you know a better way to strop your GEM blades?

Before opening this thread I used the forums search and found only one thread in the DE section about this topic. Don`t know if you guys discuss that before for single edge blades, if so, don´t get bored or angry and let me know. I will ask if someone will delete this.

Back to topic. Anyone else strops his single edge blades?
Most of the time when I am shaving with a single edge razor, I am using GEM PTFE blades. I am aware that they are coated and some people will say therefore stropping maybe becomes unnecessary.

Using that blades I noticed that after the second shave, for me these blades loose some sharpness and smoothness, especially ATG. But stropping carefully 4 - 5 times each side on my left hands palm, before starting my shave, they get back some sharpness and shave pleasant again.

Do you got same experiences or do you know a better way to strop your GEM blades?
When I do use Gem blades I don't strop but if it is working for you that's great, I may try the next time I use them, once the PTFE has worn off the edge. :)

Muti Facet Factory Blades will Only Be Blunted by Palm Stropping..Thus..They Can Feel Smoother for a 1st Shave Cause they are Less Sharp..Palm Stropping was Popular with the Original Single Facet Edge Stropping Blades ( I Use ) to Smooth them After Leather..Stropping Blades are Designed to be Stropped..Factory Blades are NOT..o_O

Billy

Hi Billy,
I will see how much sharp but smooth shaves I get from this, before each shave, palm stropped GEM PTFE Blade. After that, I will use a GEM PTFE without stropping as comparison. ;)

Today I had my seventh shave with the GEM PTFE in my Ever Ready 1912. Since the fifth shave I have changed stropping from my hands palm to my left forearm, which got more flat area. Still stropping 8 times alternately each side. Blade still shaves sharp but very smooth also ATG. ;):)

Hi Dick,
I saw that thread in the DE section before opening this one here for SE blades. Now it becomes a test comparing a stropped GEM PTFE until its end with an unstropped. How many shaves, change in sharpness and smoothness. Personaly in the past I had the feeling that the PTFE became rough ATG after the third or fourth shave.

The eight shave today with my, since the second use, palm / forearm stropped GEM PTFE blade. Already at the first pass WTG the blade gave a rough feeling trying to cut the stubbles. Stopped at half pass and finished this three passes shave with my Stahly Live Blade loaded with a Voskhod.
I had seven great shaves with the stropped GEM PTFE. Very smooth and sharp although I could feel at the seventh shave that the blade had little problems ATG. Next I will use a new GEM PTFE in the same razor unstropped.

Thanks for your attention so far.
;):)

Last edited:
In the meantime I had my fourth shave with an unstropped GEM PTFE coated blade with my GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip. WTG and XTG were acceptable but ATG the blade had lost a lot of its sharpness and was rough. Will not use it for a fifth shave. I get the same result using an unstropped GEM PTFE blade in my ER 1912. Three good shaves but starting with the fourth shave the blade starting being rough ATG and leaving my skin a bit irritated.
My result. Three good shaves unstropped but seven good shaves palm or arm stropped.

Last edited:
Any Old SE or DE Stropping Blade has a Bevel that has been Set from the Factory for Stropping Purposes..These Blades have a Pre Set Stropping Angle from Edge to Spine I May Add..That Goes for SRs or Old SE Hollow Ground Blades as Well..Factory DE or SE Blades are Multi Facet Edges & Not Suitable or Factory Intended for Stropping in Any Shape or Form...Its as Simple as That..o_O

That's Like Putting Gun Powder Down the Barrel of a Modern M 16 that was Designed for Muskets..:D

Billy

Any Old SE or DE Stropping Blade has a Bevel that has been Set from the Factory for Stropping Purposes..These Blades have a Pre Set Stropping Angle from Edge to Spine I May Add..That Goes for SRs or Old SE Hollow Ground Blades as Well..Factory DE or SE Blades are Multi Facet Edges & Not Suitable or Factory Intended for Stropping in Any Shape or Form...Its as Simple as That..o_O

That's Like Putting Gun Powder Down the Barrel of a Modern M 16 that was Designed for Muskets..:D

Billy
I have better results and more pleasant shaves stropping this GEM PTFE blades after their first use and will continue further on. :D

Last edited:
As someone who regularly strops carbon steel on leather (straights), I doubt only doing seven or eight passes would have much benefit. It would seem to me that a the same number of passes with a SS blade on the palm of ones hand would have even less.

That said, if it works for you, enjoy it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom