Parker 96R 'Daytona'

Has anyone else owned/used one of these TTO razors? It seems no matter what I do or what blade I put in mine, the damn thing wants to take lumps out of me. I use all sorts of razors in my rotation from vintage OC, old Tech and Ball End Gillettes, Futur, EJ87, ER1912 SE to name a few and always get good shaves now I've found my favourite blades (Nacet, Astra SS, Silver Blue). Today I though I'd give it another chance. I did my hot shower usual prep and used a glycerin soap pre shave wash and TOBS Sandalwood soap, a tried and tested formula for me. I faced lathered, loaded a Nacet into the Parker, did a gentle WTG pass and hey presto, my neck looks like a raspberry muffin. I'm sure it's not my technique and it's definitely not my prep or soap.

When I bought it a while back (on a whim it has to be said) I knew it was a bit more aggresive than some of my other razors but I didn't expect expect the equivalent of a cheese grater on my throat. Any ideas before I consign the thing to a 'Buy It Now' £12 free P&P posting on a well known auction site!

You will probably find that the issue is a combination of the head angle and the crazy hair pattern we all get on our necks.

The neck is in many cases has far thinner skin than the face so it's basically a trial and error. If you have razors that work well around the area plus doing a good job on the face than I'd move on and sell it.

I had a Parke 98r with a head that looked ever so similar to the common as muck DE89 but looks was deceiving here, the thing was at least 4 notches above the DE89 in aggressiveness.
This was probably down to the cutting angle presented. I moved it pronto.

Have a look at the razors that works well for you and see if they all share more or less the same cutting angle. If they do it might be a contributing element.

You can mitigate partly for cutting angle issues by getting an adjustable or the Rockwell 6c or 6s. Dial it down when you get to the neck area, this what works for me ymmv.

Might be worth having a look at blade gap and exposure vs your Futur for instance. It may be that it equates to a more aggressive setting which you don't get on with. Also check that the blade is clamped down firmly. I know some tto you need an extra quarter turn to ‘lock' down. Thereafter I'd check that the blade aligns correctly, especially if you've no other issues with your other razors. From the list they're generally towards the mild/medium side, aggressive-wise, so you might just not see eye to eye in which case move it on.

Cheers for the comments, its all pretty much what I was thinking. YMMV, everyone's skin etc etc, it seems I'm more suited to a less aggressive razor. Fleabay it is!

Back
Top Bottom