Parker TTO comparison please

I've been eyeing the Parker 87r TTO. Reviews seem mixed but I was looking for a comparison shave wise between a couple of razors I own before deciding if I splash out or not.

For users of Parker TTOs, can anyone compare them to either the Merkur 1904 CC or Pearl TTO?

I'm happy with the Merkur, fairly mild but can be effective, but I kinda like the TTO. The Pearl TTO I have is certainly effective, almost close to the open comb, but it's not as pleasurable to use. I'm actually more likely to get a nick with the TTO than the open comb. Less due to the aggression than the way the blade is held I think.

Thank in advance

Hello there... something i already posted yesterday...I have quite a collection of parkers,
I personally find them excellent razors,not because of the reasonably small cost no, like neally all the handles on parkers they are fairly long handle and which gives a good weight to the razors.. The chrome plating is pretty good on both the head and handle. In spite of the heavy weight, the razor is well balanced.which like any DE razor you don't have to put any pressure on the razor while shaving;just let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

I don't however have the 87R, but most of the Parker TTO models basically have the same head..
Some people have commented they had a difficult time getting a comfortable shave with them... I suspect they are using the wrong shave angle.('like i was at first').. most DE razors work well at a 30 degree angle, I've found that Parker razors either TTO OC, Three piece seem to work best at around 45 degrees. There is a large gap between the blade and the safety bar on the 98R. If the angle is too low, the bar will just wipe the lather off your face without cutting hair. myself at first was tempted to increase the pressure of the razor on the face...Which would have resulted in a bloodbath:eek:..I taught myself to Just get the angle right and let the weight of the razor do the work for me....
The 87R TTO is the design of a Gillette aristocrat., as for comparing them to a Merkur and a Pearl TTO, i have pearl TTO myself and find it very much the same aggression as my Parkers TTO..The finishing on Merkur razors is a higher better finish than parkers, that's not to say Parkers have a bad finish..because they don't. or any really bad quality issues..

I suggest placing the head of the razor flat against your face and then lower the handle slowly until you begin to feel the blade on your skin. The angle will be close to 45 degrees. With the proper technique, these razors will give a wonderful shave..As for aggression, i find most TTO parker mid-aggression but very efficient., one thing that is different between the TTO & the three piece parkers is they tend to be more aggressive..but again YMMV..and it's down to personal choice & technique...in a nutshell they are a good all round every day razor that perform well, give a sublime Shave,once you've got use to the steeper angle, and great looking at a very reasonable cost..if your a "Brand Snob",then you may be put off by them because they are made in India, but don't be put off by this..i wasn't ,and i now have the grand total of "EIGHT PARKER RAZORS"....Let's just say i like Parker razors.;)..
I hope this has been some use to you. Regards.:)

Last edited:
Hello there... something i already posted yesterday...I have quite a collection of parkers,
I personally find them excellent razors,not because of it's reasonably small cost no, like neally all the handles on parkers they are fairly long handle and a good weight of this razor. The chrome plating is pretty good on both the head and handle. In spite of the heavy weight, the razor is well balanced.which like any DE razor you don't have to put any pressure on the razor while shaving;just let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

I don't however have the 87R, but most of the Parker TTO models basically have the same head..
Some people have commented they had a difficult time getting a comfortable shave with this them... I suspect they are using the wrong shave angle.('like i was at first').. most DE razors work well at a 30 degree angle, I've found that Parker razors either TTO OC, Three piece seem to work best at around 45 degrees. There is a large gap between the blade and the safety bar on the 98R. If the angle is too low, the bar will just wipe the lather off your face without cutting hair. myself at first was tempted to increase the pressure of the razor on the face...Which would have resulted in a bloodbath:eek:..I taught myself to Just get the angle right and let the weight of the razor do the work for me....
The 87R TTO is the design of a Gillette gillette aristocrat., as for comparing them to a Merkurand a Pearl TTO, i have pearl TTO myself and find it very much the same aggression as my Parkers TTO..Merkur razors finished has higher better finish than parkers, that's not to say Parkers have a bad finish..because they don't. or any really bad quality issues..

I suggest placing the head of the razor flat against your face and then lower the handle slowly until you begin to feel the blade on your skin. The angle will be close to 45 degrees. With the proper technique, these razors will give a wonderful shave..As for aggression, i find most TTO parker mid-aggression but very efficient., one thing that is different between the TTO & the three piece parkers is they tend to be more aggressive..but again YMMV..and it's down to personal choice & technique...in a nutshell they are a good all round every day razors that perform well, give a sublime Shave,once you've got use to the steeper angle, and great looking at a very reasonable cost..if your a "Brand Snob",then you may be put off by them because they are made in India, but don't be put off by this..i wasn't ,and i now have the grand total of "SEVEN PARKER RAZORS"....Let's just say i like Parker razors.;)..

That's very helpful, just what I was after. Thank you Mr Fox!

I personally find them excellent razors,not because of the reasonably small cost no, like neally all the handles on parkers they are fairly long handle and which gives a good weight to the razors.. The chrome plating is pretty good on both the head and handle. In spite of the heavy weight, the razor is well balanced.which like any DE razor you don't have to put any pressure on the razor while shaving;just let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Some people have commented they had a difficult time getting a comfortable shave with them... I suspect they are using the wrong shave angle.('like i was at first').. most DE razors work well at a 30 degree angle, I've found that Parker razors either TTO OC, Three piece seem to work best at around 45 degrees. There is a large gap between the blade and the safety bar on the 98R. If the angle is too low, the bar will just wipe the lather off your face without cutting hair. myself at first was tempted to increase the pressure of the razor on the face...Which would have resulted in a bloodbath:eek:..I taught myself to Just get the angle right and let the weight of the razor do the work for me....
The 87R TTO is the design of a Gillette aristocrat., as for comparing them to a Merkur and a Pearl TTO, i have pearl TTO myself and find it very much the same aggression as my Parkers TTO..The finishing on Merkur razors is a higher better finish than parkers, that's not to say Parkers have a bad finish..because they don't. or any really bad quality issues..

I suggest placing the head of the razor flat against your face and then lower the handle slowly until you begin to feel the blade on your skin. The angle will be close to 45 degrees. With the proper technique, these razors will give a wonderful shave..As for aggression, i find most TTO parker mid-aggression but very efficient., one thing that is different between the TTO & the three piece parkers is they tend to be more aggressive..but again YMMV..and it's down to personal choice & technique...in a nutshell they are a good all round every day razor that perform well, give a sublime Shave,once you've got use to the steeper angle, and great looking at a very reasonable cost..if your a "Brand Snob",then you may be put off by them because they are made in India, but don't be put off by this..i wasn't ,and i now have the grand total of "EIGHT PARKER RAZORS"....Let's just say i like Parker razors.;)..
Great read - just considering my first TTO. Parker seems a solid choice :)

Many thanks for this. I actually posted about my Parker 96R Daytona TTO yesterday, basically about why it was trying to kill me. It cuts lumps out of me. However, I wasn't aware about the different shave angle so I may try this before I decide whether to get rid of it or not.

Back
Top Bottom