Phoenix & Beau Sanskrit

Glad you've discovered this, one of the very best soaps out there. I only have about thirty soaps and creams but this is by far my favourite scent. The post shave feel is just sublime. That they are just new on the block is all the more amazing. It's my first of many!

I've had one of their tubs for a few weeks (Solaris), and I agree, it is superb. Slickness and cushion are as good as any top class soap, but the post shave is better than anything I've ever tried. I was really impressed.

Does anyone else get a whiff of ammonia when they first open Sanskrit?

Normal?
Interesting! I had noticed this myself when opening the unscented soap. I did a bit of research and I discovered (subject to Kerry telling me I'm talking nonsense) that it is quite common for soap makers to use ammonia as a mixing/emulsifying agent in the oils. The ammonia sublimes off as the soap matures. I would guess that a little might remain if the soap could do with a few days more resting or the temperature was low while it was curing. Our noses are very sensitive to ammonia and even a minute amount can be smelled very readily. The amount remaining would, apparently, be tiny, harmless and will disappear with time. I can vouch for the fact that it disappeared from mine quite quickly. If you want to hurry the process, leave the soap in a warm, but not hot, place with the lid off. You'll lose a bit of scent but the ammonia should go quickly.

Or not?

It's great soap though - I love it!

Evening chaps and thanks for your comments. No ammonia is added to our soap as each batch is made with certified and pure ingredients and saponified / hot processed to a ph level of 9 (N.b water is ph7). If you're not satisfied with you're soap you're very welcome to return it for a replacement. Please PM or email me at kerry@phoenixandbeau.uk and I'll take care of this for you.

With kind regards,

Kerry.

Evening chaps and thanks for your comments. No ammonia is added to our soap as each batch is made with certified and pure ingredients and saponified / hot processed to a ph level of 9 (N.b water is ph7). If you're not satisfied with you're soap you're very welcome to return it for a replacement. Please PM or email me at kerry@phoenixandbeau.uk and I'll take care of this for you.

With kind regards,

Kerry.
Apologies! A 'good' guess - but just wrong! How like the rest of life. :confused:

i personally am 100% satisfied and was just looking for a reason for a faint trace of ammonia. It's gone now but was quite noticeable for a week or so. Although the wisdom of the internet was wrong about the cause, the effect, though tiny, was definitely present. IIRC, it takes only a few stray ammonia molecules to set the nose going.

I don't get anything like ammonia from Sanskrit. What I've actually enjoyed from our artisanal soap makers is the cleanliness (maybe not the right term?) of the scents. They are exactly as described, no underlying surprises.

I also remarked to my wife that I thought I got a faint whiff of what I laughingly said was cats-piss. It was very faint and has now disappeared completely. Hasn't detracted from my love of this soap one iota. Now i'm reminded of ( lashings of ) ginger beer every time I poke my nose into it.

Last edited:

With kind regards,

Kerry.

Hi Kerry,

Just to follow on from Paul, it hasn't diminished the effectiveness of the product at all, and I'm getting lovely shaves and once lathered, amazing scents too.

I didn't post to have a snipe, only being new to the product, wanted to know if it was normal or to be expected.

A very customer focussed approach though Kerry, and grateful for it too.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom