Polsilver... will they be the greatest no longer made blade of modern times ?

As a new DE shaver I have been trying various blades from a couple of trial packs and pol silver immediately jumped out as being one of my favourites. Shortly after that I learned they are no longer being made.

I then had the dilemma of should I buy a huge hoard of blades whilst they are still available or continue my search for another blade type

I still have a small stash of the old Polsilver blades made in Lodz.

They are a great blade, but I preferred the Iridiums, very similar and I have a much bigger stash of them.

Also quite a few of the old Gillette "Swedes", at one time they raved about them being the best blade.

Are they being discontinued? I've heard this a few times over the years and an ebay seller, which may not be correct either, states that there was a distribution change.
IMG_0826.PNG

According to Gemstone Shaving, they stopped production on August 1st last year. Apparently so they can make blades that have a better profit (basically, cartridge rubbish). I just bought another 200. I have enough blades, for six years even if I dump them after 2 shaves. As for the best replacement for them, possibly the BiC Chrome Platinum.

I think the Lodz stainless Polsilver blades in the brown packaging are the greatest DE blade no longer made of modern times although still available in limited numbers. Closely followed by Polsilver SI blades of which there are plenty left and possibly even in production (imo) :)

The Lodz factory that made the original Polsilver was bought by Gillette and has now been converted to make cartridges. Likewise Nacet were made in Czechoslovakia, bought by Gillette and closed down. All the DE blade production was then consolidated in St Petersburg by Gillette.

Back
Top Bottom