port

Reminds me of the time my brother was working on the Beers Wines and Spirits department at a large supermarket. They always use to have someone stood by the booze who also replenished the stock. The young lady noticed all the "mould" left on the bottles to enhance the vintage look. She decided to wipe it all off so the bottles were nice and shiny ! Not something we see these days but an expensive addition back then.

My Christmas port line up comprises just two bottles: a Taylor Fladgate 2010 Late Bottled Vintage Porto bottled in 2014, and a Burmester 10 year old Tawny Porto bottled in 2016. This will be accompanied by plenty of Blue Stilton (served in an F&M porcelain Stilton pot), grapes and walnuts on Christmas Day.

ppz_07.png

I'm a big port fan and have the waist line to prove it :p

Lidl have a superb 1997 Colheita (single year vintage tawny port) from Saint Claire for £15 a bottle which is an utter steal.

whats the deal with tawny port? i was looking at bottles of that, but was put off by the 'serve chilled' line. does it affect the drink much by drinking it at room temperature?

Believe Tesco doing a Taylors LBV at £10,which is good value- do not forget the Cheese to go with it.

Tesco's own LBV is only about £10 and very drinkable. If the OP is new to port, this one is very easy drinking - not too sweet. Port, cheese and biscuits is one of the best things about Christmas. We actually serve it early evening after the Christmas lunch has had a chance to digest.

Cheese has to be Blue Stilton; I like to eat all cheese au naturel, i.e. without biscuits, but if it has to be biscuits it'd be Jacobs cream crackers. I've not had pickled walnuts, but since I like all things pickled I'll give them a try.
Interesting fact is that they are pickled in Kent.

Back
Top Bottom