This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post shave balm.

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by hectorsgaf, Wednesday May 16, 2018.

1. Recommendations please guys on your favourites?

I have used things in the past that actually do more bad than good. eg nivea etc. but that was a way back. Brought me out in spots which at my age is not on!!!! I have actually been finishing a shave recently with water , then alum, then water, ( sometimes use witch hazel if any significant weepers ), pat dry then Proraso aftershave but then also, once dry applying a dollop of Proraso preshave which actually feels nice and has a softening effect. Much said on here about the preshave etc and to do or not to do but cannot find too much in the way of recommended balms unless trawling through the SOTD thread which can get a bit 'boring'. Maybe if we can get some all in the same place please.
    Thank you

Last edited: Wednesday May 16, 2018
  2. dave79

dave79

I used Nivea Sensitive (white bottle) for years but then realised it was feeling itchy on my face for a while afterwards and seemed to leave my face red for a while too. Not sure if the formula changed over time because surely if it disagreed with my skin that much I’d have noticed way back.

I now use BBA PSB after hearing about it on here and taking advantage of BBA’s TSR discount offer late last year. It’s the best I’ve tried and is very good but not quite perfect. It does soothe irritation and your face feels good when it’s fully absorbed, but it is brown when it goes on, it feels like you’re rubbing blancmange onto your face, is a bit greasy and takes 5-10 mins to absorb. I actually find it stings for a couple of minutes as well. You need to give it time to absorb fully so you can’t put a shirt on right after applying it, and for me, initially it makes my face look even more red, though this settles down after time.

That said, it’s still the best of the small bunch I’ve tried. The slight sting must be down to an ingredient, not my shaving, because when I use Aloe Vera Gel instead I don’t get the sting, just a nice cooling sensation. So I’m alternating between the two but I think I prefer AVG which is also cheaper and very easy to pick up on the high street.

Palmolive fox and patw like this.
  3. patw

patw

Another vote here for Aloe Vera Gel,I also have the BBA PSB and although it’s a very good balm the AVG is cheaper and does a great job.

Blademonkey likes this.
  4. Sabre

Sabre

I use alum, I recently started using Witch Hazel, and also liberally use an AS - Speick, Lotion Opaline and Proraso are my favourites. After using a Feather AC again, I have added Nivea Balm. I don't have any ill effects from it and I have Rosacea.
    I wouldn't mind a more artisanal balm. I have also just ordered two floral waters - Chamomile and Rose, so will add those to the mix as well :).

5. Bart's Aftershave balm, British Barbers Association post shave balm, aloe Vera gel, Thayers witch Hazel, Jojoba oil. P.

6. Sabre

Sabre

I have recently bought Rosehip Oil. I don't use it as a AS but to keep my Adonis good looks for a little while longer :)

Blademonkey likes this.
  7. Aloe vera Gel is the way forward...Superb stuff, for a very reasonable price.

8. dave79

dave79

I suppose there will always be a market for high end stuff for those who want to pay over the odds for stuff for whatever reason. What people spend on their hobbies is entirely up to them. But BBA PSB seems hugely overpriced at £22, and even just a bit much at £11 when I got it for half price, considering I paid £3.50 for AVG, and could probably have got it for even less.

I’m far more interested in something representing good value for money for the quality, rather than being ‘the best’. If two products are both excellent, one being only marginally less good but at a fraction of the price, I know which I’ll go for

Last edited: Wednesday May 16, 2018
    BartsBalm and Palmolive fox like this.
  9. Myrsol Emulsion.......you can almost feel your skin absorbing it!

Blackmass and Sabre like this.
  10. Burry

Burry

I'm all in on Bart's balms. It's really really good. Thoroughly recommend

11. +1

dave79 likes this.
  12. Great and only 14 to choose from. Makes things easier. Not!

dave79 and Burry like this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre

What's this got to do with the British Bloodstock Agency?

14. The Real Shaving Co. Post Shave Soothing Balm - Best value, if you can still find them
    Pre de Provence, Weleda and Simpsons

Omega, if you like eucalyptus

15. Nisse

Nisse

Interesting read from dave79 re BBA

dave79 likes this.
  16. FrankieG

FrankieG

I've been using Aloe Vera Gel almost exclusively. It absorbs completely in seconds, without feeling oily or greasy, and closes the pores while leaving the skin smooth and conditioned.

Myrsol Emulsion is also quite nice, especially in summer due to its cooling menthol content. Clinique Post-Shave Soother is another good one.

dave79 likes this.
  17. Sabre

Sabre

I have an RSC, there have been so many iterations of the range under Creightons and now Swallowfield. Are the same products at £1.00 in Savers the ones in Boots etc for a lot more? I will have to have a look.

18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC

19. Bazz

Bazz

I just use Body shop Macca root moisturiser, have done for years and it works really well for me, with a factor 15 SPF in it as well. I keep aloe vera gel on hand just in case i've pushed a blade a bit too far or over done it on the passes a bit, it really helps.