Problem honing 2 from Solingen

I use lapping film honing and the same technique for all my razors. Lately I have added more laps finishing on 3M light green/1 micron film. Works great with my Swedish blades. Not so much for a Herder and a Revisor from Solingen result was sharp but not as smooth as expected. Time spent finishing play a part? Different steels need different styles of honing? Or I just had a bad honing day?

Always Hard to Comment Cause I Dont Know what You Have Been Doing..But..If You are having Problems at the 1 Micron = 16 K Mark then its More than Likely a Bevel or Progression Issue..The Blade Should be Able to Shave from the 1 K Bevel Hone & Have a Superb Shave Ready Shaving Edge from the 3 Micron = 12 K..o_O

Revisors Hone Up Very Well..Herders or Vintage Stainless Blades Just Need Extra Care on the Hone to Get the Feel of the Steel..Other than that Nothing Special or Different on the Hones Technique Wise..In Other Words a Hole in You're Honing Skills..Simply Put..It Happens to Us All at Points in Our Honing Journey..Just Work through it..Start Again from the 1 K Bevel Hone is My Advice..:D

Billy

Last edited:
hxVWrB3.jpg

xtSbUAc.jpg

My Two Herders..Fantastic Razors..Both Stainless..You Can See Clearly in the Top Pic..Even & Solid Bevel from Heel to Toe..All the Magic Happens On the 1 K Bevel Hone..:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom