Question about watch battery replacement (In-Time)

Have any of you had any experience with In-Time battery replacement service (in Debenhams)?

After wearing it for 5-6 years, the battery of my faithful Timex Ironman seems to be dying (Indiglo light strangely fading...) I worry a little about the sealing and the water resistance after replacing the battery.

Last edited:
Hi Cristobal, it may be a good idea to ask them if they cover sealing / waterproof protection etc before letting them go ahead, otherwise go to a reputable jeweler & have it serviced as I think it would be covered automatically, but, it doesn't hurt to ask

I got on fine with 'In Time' in Debenhams. They fitted a new movement in my Pulsar battery watch for £26 all in. They said they would seal and test it afterwards. As it happens, for whatever reason, the winding crown on the stem fell out shortly afterwards (OK, I admit, not a good thing to happen) but they were very helpful in fixing it straight away.

I generally buy watches that have a screw back and either use a purpose made adjustable tool to get the back off or just use a wodge of BLU TAK to undo the back. Then get a battery from Ebay or Amazon (usually for a pound or so for two)... have been doing this for years and never came unstuck. You can buy new sealing rings on Ebay and I usually just apply a microscopic film of silicone greas to the surfaces to hold it in place when re-fitting and to offer a bit more waterproofing.

One of the joys of using Pulsar watches rather than £5k's worth of posh.

Ok, so I went to the In-Time (a franchise throughout the UK) shop inside the Debenhams' department store nearby, they gave me a quote, £16.95 for replacing the battery and resealing the watch, no pressure test because the case is not made of metal; apparently if the case is in plastic the pressure test can't work for some reason (that's what I understood English not being my native language), therefore no guarantee

Yesterday, I got an email from Timex UK's customer service, I have to send them the watch (with a check or pay online £11) by mail, the battery will be replaced, the watch resealed and pressure tested, plus a 6 months guarantee against any leakage. The whole process takes about 2 weeks.

Since In-Time couldn't guarantee the water resistance (because of inadequate equipment) and was more expensive, I think I'll go with Timex UK (hoping my watch won't be lost by Royal Mail on its way to the customer service.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't pay £16.95... or even £11 (plus postage to get it to Timex? and lose the watch for a fortnight) on a 5 year old Timex.

If it was a prestigious and expensive timepiece then it's different, but, as I said earlier, if the battery is readily available from Ebay or Amazon or a pound shop (and I'd be amazed if it wasn't) then I would simply take the back off and fit a new battery and apply a tiny amount of whatever sealant I happened to have... i.e. silicone grease or Vaseline Jelly. Job done.

How much do Timpson charge? Ask them next time you're passing your local shop and they'll tell you straight away.

Personally I wouldn't pay £16.95... or even £11 (plus postage to get it to Timex? and lose the watch for a fortnight) on a 5 year old Timex.

If it was a prestigious and expensive timepiece then it's different

My 15 years old Speedmaster needs a overhaul this year, the price is about £450 more or less...:D (still saving money for this purpose)

, but, as I said earlier, if the battery is readily available from Ebay or Amazon or a pound shop (and I'd be amazed if it wasn't) then I would simply take the back off and fit a new battery and apply a tiny amount of whatever sealant I happened to have... i.e. silicone grease or Vaseline Jelly. Job done.

Yes, I thought of doing it myself, but I just wanted to save me the hassle of getting all the materials together (battery, silicon grease), and toying with the watch (there's some kind of metal piece that keeps the quartz mechanism that can be tricky to put back, and the battery altogether, plus resetting the watch)

How much do Timpson charge? Ask them next time you're passing your local shop and they'll tell you straight away.

No idea, there's no Timpson in my vicinity, I'll check next week; although there's a cobbler next to the tube station who replaces batteries and an Indian shop at the broadway market (I love this place, only Asian/African/all around the world shops there), selling all kinds of cheap quartz watches and changing batteries.

Last edited:
OK then... you'll do what's best and we'll await the outcome.

By way of comparison, and not particularly relevant or helpful, I spotted reference, yesterday, to the Casio F91W, and it's mate the F105W. I couldn't believe you could still buy a new Casio that dates back to the 80's or 90's for £7.10p (delivered). I didn't know of it's connection to terrorism or that it's a bit of a fashion statement or that members of the military apparently use it due to its accuracy, resilience and long lasting battery (7 years was mentioned). It just happens that, personally, I find a clear, simple analoque display much easier to read than a small digital display, but for that sort of money I almost felt the need to have one just for the sake of it.

A new, tough Casio with a battery that will probably last for 7 years delivered to your door for £7.10 ... amazing.

Changing the battery shouldn t affect the water resistance unless the watchmaker is damaging the rubber gaskets. You can always ask for new ones.

Interesting. My wife gave me a Tissot for my birthday a few years ago and the first battery was change by in-Time with no issues. The second time I stopped by another watch repair place while my wife did some shopping, a few days later I went swimming in the sea and didn't even think about my watch..... I killed the watch pretty quickly.

I went back to the shop and the guy showed me a very small note behind him that I never saw..... it said that their work was not waterproof warranted :mad:

If IRC In-Time charge extra to test after a battery change.....

OK then... you'll do what's best and we'll await the outcome.

By way of comparison, and not particularly relevant or helpful, I spotted reference, yesterday, to the Casio F91W, and it's mate the F105W. I couldn't believe you could still buy a new Casio that dates back to the 80's or 90's for £7.10p (delivered). I didn't know of it's connection to terrorism or that it's a bit of a fashion statement or that members of the military apparently use it due to its accuracy, resilience and long lasting battery (7 years was mentioned). It just happens that, personally, I find a clear, simple analoque display much easier to read than a small digital display, but for that sort of money I almost felt the need to have one just for the sake of it.

A new, tough Casio with a battery that will probably last for 7 years delivered to your door for £7.10 ... amazing.

img_2010.jpg

I love the F-91W "combat" Casio, already got one. I'm leaning toward the 50m water resistant model:
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/c...istant-digital-lcd-watch-black-wh2-w-59-1vqes

or the illuminator/50m water resistant model:
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Clocks-and-Watches/Casio/Casio-Casual-Digital-Watch

Last edited:
Interesting. My wife gave me a Tissot for my birthday a few years ago and the first battery was change by in-Time with no issues. The second time I stopped by another watch repair place while my wife did some shopping, a few days later I went swimming in the sea and didn't even think about my watch..... I killed the watch pretty quickly.

I went back to the shop and the guy showed me a very small note behind him that I never saw..... it said that their work was not waterproof warranted :mad:

If IRC In-Time charge extra to test after a battery change.....

Lesson learned;)

Tissot is quite a brand (Swatch group?), for any work on it I would have gone to an official Tissot reseller/agent, it would be expensive, but guaranteed.

I read something on internet about Timpson's lifetime battery change, it's about £50, isn't it?

I have the same watch I took it Timpson's for a battery change. it lasted about 3 days and the strap off came and the indiglo light still did not work even after the battery change. the battery change cost me about £20 if I remember correctly. I wish I had put that £20 towards a new watch

Back
Top Bottom