RANT! about cars overtaking cyclists

I feel for some cyclists, they're there to pursue their hobby/lifestyle/mode of transport and it's made unnecessarily risky by some (not all) drivers. I personally wait until the coast is entirely clear and have a clear view of the road ahead of me before overtaking. That being said, I also personally believe that some cyclists don't help themselves by being dressed poorly for the conditions, not wearing helmets, not having lights etc.

Nothing excuses dangerous road use, be it by cyclists or drivers.

The roads these vids are from are just above Leeds and always have cyclists on them usually from local clubs. I rarely if ever see anyone not dressed for the part or without lights. Anyone driving round there should have some cycling road sense.
Russian Roulette!

I feel for some cyclists, they're there to pursue their hobby/lifestyle/mode of transport and it's made unnecessarily risky by some (not all) drivers. I personally wait until the coast is entirely clear and have a clear view of the road ahead of me before overtaking. That being said, I also personally believe that some cyclists don't help themselves by being dressed poorly for the conditions, not wearing helmets, not having lights etc.

True, I've seen some cyclists weaving all over the road and some without light's and high visibility gear and Ive been overtaken by some complete idiots forcing me to take evasive action so there are good and bad in both camp's. A little respect and care on the road's by all goes a long way.

The roads these vids are from are just above Leeds and always have cyclists on them usually from local clubs. I rarely if ever see anyone not dressed for the part or without lights. Anyone driving round there should have some cycling road sense.
Russian Roulette!
The serious cyclists are generally very good in the way they use the road and on the whole in the gear they are wearing, it's usually youngsters on cycles who take chances and not only put themselves at risk by riding around without light's and safety gear but put put people's back's up and all cyclists get tarred with the same brush and seem to be hated by some car user's.

The serious cyclists are generally very good in the way they use the road and on the whole in the gear they are wearing, it's usually youngsters on cycles who take chances and not only put themselves at risk by riding around without light's and safety gear but put put people's back's up and all cyclists get tarred with the same brush and seem to be hated by some car user's.
I have to be honest, the youngsters near where I live tend to be quite well suited for cycling on the road. I've seen more older gentlemen who aren't than youngsters. However, around the studenty areas there are certainly more people riding single-gear bikes and suchlike who don what they wear to lectures, and are hence dressed inappropriately. I wouldn't cycle on the roads near me, there are far too many maniacs on the road.

I consider myself a cyclist. When I'm on the road I make sure I wear bright and visible clothing. The club I ride with has guidelines to ride safely on the road and on club rides we tend to use back roads to avoid heavy traffic, etc. but I do see cyclists riding in dark clothing, without lights, etc. I believe this is due to lack of cycling education and common sense.

I've had my fair share of incidents with motor vehicles and it never gets any easier to overcome the shock.

In the UK, a cyclist involved in an accident needs to prove he/she is the innocent part, in France, Holland, Norway, etc is the vehicle driver who needs to prove his/her innocence first.

I consider myself a cyclist. When I'm on the road I make sure I wear bright and visible clothing. The club I ride with has guidelines to ride safely on the road and on club rides we tend to use back roads to avoid heavy traffic, etc. but I do see cyclists riding in dark clothing, without lights, etc. I believe this is due to lack of cycling education and common sense.

I've had my fair share of incidents with motor vehicles and it never gets any easier to overcome the shock.

In the UK, a cyclist involved in an accident needs to prove he/she is the innocent part, in France, Holland, Norway, etc is the vehicle driver who needs to prove his/her innocence first.
It's actually tending away from the UK-style proof towards a European-style proof in the case of an accident between cyclist and driver. I have family/friends who work in insurance and in the case of a car vs bike collision the favour lies almost entirely solely with the cyclist. In most cases, the cyclist will have a settlement and the driver suffers repercussions. Not all, mind you, but most.

I fully agree with the lack of common sense aspect. I did a cycling proficiency in primary school many years ago and there was little stress on what type/colour clothing to wear and little stress on benefits of wearing a helmet.

I live in the country and regularly come across cyclists whilst driving in my car, mostly it's a respectful situation. Last week i actually came around a corner to find a whole gaggle of cyclists wearing all the kit and looking very professional, but as they were biking 3/4 abreast some were actually on my side of the road..... On a blind bend. The speed limit for this section is 60mph but luckily i wasn't doing anywhere near this. I seemed to be the only one to take evasive action but luckily i missed them. I suspect that although the closest cyclist seemed more frozen than frightened he may have needed to change his shorts shortly after.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are Muppets in cars and on cycles. One of course is just more likely to survive if the two should meet.

I think horse rider's have much the same trouble and I'm not talking about main road's but the back lane's where some car driver's think they are on a rally circuit, everyone is in a rush to get somewhere.... Well not everyone but a fair few!

Yep i see lots of horses too, and believe it or not have also come across horses two abreast on the tiny country roads. Maybe there's a good reason for this, but i really cant think what it maybe..... Unless they are just suicidal or hate their horse?????

Yep i see lots of horses too, and believe it or not have also come across horses two abreast on the tiny country roads. Maybe there's a good reason for this, but i really cant think what it maybe..... Unless they are just suicidal or hate their horse?????
As you say... Good and bad on both side's. Some common sense and respect on the road's and we could all use the road network safely.

Patience is the main thing you need as a car driver on country roads. I love slamming along the lanes but I also make sure I can stop/slow down on blind corners and summits. If I have to follow someone at 10mph for half a mile then I do and that's where people go wrong they just can't wait!

There is a general lack of road sense and consideration for other road users from many drivers, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders (I have been all of them in my time) that it is inevitable that accidents occur with alarming regularity.

The biggest idiots on the road in Loughborough are student cyclists. How more are not killed or seriously hurt is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom