Razor Emporium(please read).

Here are my dealing with this firm so far;
  • Re: Order #11908
    15th May 2015 @ 1:18 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello Martyn, your razors have arrived and are checked in. We will keep you updated throughout the process. Thank you - Dondra

• Re: Order #11908
    10th Jul 2015 @ 5:28 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    sent back today usps LZ632388398US

thanks!

Matt

• No Reply!
    28th Jul 2015 @ 3:56 AM

IcoMessage1.gif
    You Said:
    I sent you a message on the 21st about the plating, or lack of on the Slim you returned to me after refurb. I think taking a week to reply is PPS to be honest. Please rectify this and let me know what you are going to do to put things right.

Martyn

• Re: No Reply!
    28th Jul 2015 @ 12:54 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello Martyn,

My apologies for the lack of communication! Please forward me the e-mail so I can get on the same page as you and take care of this issue promptly.

help@razoremporium.com

Thank you!
    Marissa

• Plating.
    29th Jul 2015 @ 9:57 AM

IcoMessage1.gif
    You Said:
    The Slim adj from the above order has areas on the centre bar with no plating on at all. Under the doors it has areas which look like they were not prepped before plating, likewise between the head and adjustment ring.
    I did ask for an actual email address so I could forward photos of said problems for you to have a look first.
    I also said that I have a gold Fatboy in need of attention and plating, and suggested that I send the 2 together, and that you could invoice me once you'd got them. Taking off my postage costs, and the 10% TY10 code from the new job on the gold Fatboy.
    Also, just a minor point, but your return cards mention cleaning cloths, which were not packed.

Martyn

• Re: Order #13276
    12th Aug 2015 @ 6:54 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello Martyn!

Your package has arrived! It will be opened tomorrow!

Thank you!
    Marissa

• Re: Order #13276
    24th Sep 2015 @ 6:50 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello!

Your razor is in the queue to be plated! After plating is successfully completed your razor will be reassembled, lubricated, painted (if necessary), and the blade gap adjusted. It will go through our quality control and be shipped shortly after!

Thank you for your patience and we will have tracking information as soon as possible! If you would like to add any products to your returning home Revamp please place your order and use the code: ADD2ORDER for free shipping.

Thank you! If you have any questions or there is a delay feel free to e-mail or call 855.264.1199

Marissa

• No mention of Slim adj?
    3rd Oct 2015 @ 5:23 AM

IcoMessage1.gif
    You Said:
    Just checking that the Slim Adjustable I returned to be put right is ok as well. This is the one which was revamped on order 11908, but was returned to me with some loss of plating, so I returned it in the same packaging as the Gold Fatboy. Sorry for the late reply, just back off 2 week holiday(vacation).

Regards
    Martyn

• Re: No mention of Slim adj?
    6th Oct 2015 @ 6:42 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello Martyn!

Yes your Slim is doing just fine! It is currently with your other razor that is being Revamped. I haven't had my team do any tweaks yet so they can both be adjusted together!

I will have more information as your razor is being plated shortly!

Thank you!
    Marissa

• 13 weeks!
    29th Oct 2015 @ 3:05 PM

IcoMessage1.gif
    You Said:
    On Saturday this order will have been with you for 13 weeks. Providing my razors come back to me in 1st class condition I'm not too worried about the timeframe, but would appreciate an update on their progress.

Regards
    Martyn

• Re: 13 weeks!
    29th Oct 2015 @ 4:58 PM

IcoMessage2.gif
    Razor Emporium Said:
    Hello Martyn!

My apologies, I should have contacted you weeks ago with news that we are looking to replace the bottom piece of your razor. The rust/corrosion has destroyed the threading and it will no longer hold your razor together. I had thought with our new inventory we would find a bottom piece to replace it for you but I haven't been able to locate a better piece.

My apologies for not getting in touch as soon as the problem surfaced. I was hoping I could find a solution for you and then the razor unfortunately kept getting pushed back.

If you have any other Fatboy's at home that could serve as donor pieces we will have the Revamp home to you during next week.

Let me know!
    Marissa

• Confused!
    29th Oct 2015 @ 6:16 PM

IcoMessage1.gif
    You Said:
    Your razor is in the queue to be plated! After plating is successfully completed your razor will be reassembled, lubricated, painted (if necessary), and the blade gap adjusted. It will go through our quality control and be shipped shortly after!

This paragraph is taken directly from your email to me dated 24th Sept. It would be obvious at this point if the razor was in any way damaged. For the razor to be ready for plating all the rust and old defective plating should be already cleaned off. When the razor was sent to you it was operating ok, just pretty tarnished. It worked fine. I find it inconceivable to me that its taken this long to come back to me with problems that were not noticed when youv'e told me its awaiting plating.
    I am not interested in getting into arguments, the facts as stated speak for themselves. Either I've been lied to, or someone has swapped the piece out for use on another razor. I pay you and send my razors to you with a large element of trust. I am a member of a UK based shaving forum called The Shaving Room, a couple of members have questioned your fitness recently, and I have said you should be given the chance to put things right. This is why I returned the other slim which came back from yourselves unsatisfactory. Which again you have neglected to mention. If you find yourselves unable to meet your promised standard of workmanship, then please return my property to me, and refund my payments for both razors.
This is a full list of all the correspondence between myself and Revisor to date. I've posted it here so if they get shirty and delete me and my content there is a record of our interactions. The first order was for a Gillette Fatboy and a Slim. When returned the Slim wasn't up to scratch so I sent it back with a Fatboy in gold for the works which I paid for before sending.

Here's the first order;
Order #11908

Order Date: 2nd May 2015

Your Order Contains:

• 1 x Razor REVAMP Service
      (Precious Metal: Nickel, Item: Safety Razor, Razor Model: Adjustable - Slim)
    • 1 x Razor REVAMP Service
      (Precious Metal: Nickel, Item: Safety Razor, Razor Model: Adjustable - Fatboy)
This was the first order completed, with the slim I returned. The Fatboy seems fine(although I might see if someone on here will check it over properly for me).

Here's the second order;

Order #13276
Order Date: 30th Jul 2015

This order is marked as Awaiting Fulfillment

Your Order Contains:

1 x Safety Razor Revamp Service
(Precious Metal: 24K Gold, Item: Safety Razor, Razor Model: TTO - Executive)

I appologise for the length of this, but I don't want to talk BS, so here's the facts and you can form your own opinions. IMO if they put things right for me, they just need to work on their communication skills and put someone in charge of seeing the razors through, srart to finish.
If they dont put things right, then I leave you to make your own minds up and share your thoughts with others.

Many thanks for your indulgence chaps

Last edited:
Martyn, this is headed Revisor razors - I though it was going to be about that company that makes and supplies straight razors - in Germany. However, the post mentions Razor Emporium which is in the US I believe. Have I got things muddled?

Do appologise, I wrote this in a bit of an angry state. No idea what made me cock the name up so badly though, again appologies gents:oops:

Last edited:
I'm surprised that they can't just braze a brass surface coat over the corroded section, then rethread it.

I would be seriously annoyed by the run around you seem to be getting...not to mention the lack of customer service.

If I was in your shoes...

Them:
"Hi, do you have a spare razor you can send us to use for parts?"

Me: It's called eBay, motherfucker, use it.

Edit: if I sent in a working razor, I'd expect a working razor to be returned. If I take a running vehicle to a mechanic for a tune-up, and he breaks it, why should the burden of getting it running again be on me?

Thanks gents, I wrote this whilst feeling thoroughly pissed off. I tried to keep it so people could make their own minds up on the treatment I'd recieved. I'm not in the business of trying to affect peoples ability to earn a living. I have received another email offering to put things right(which is all I'm really after). In the interest of fairness I again let you decide for yourselves. If what is promised comes about, I personaily will be satisfied. Will I use them again, I will decide when all of this is over!
Here's the latest from them;

Hello Martyn,

To be completely transparent, I am a member in many shaving forums, and I speak with unhappy customers when there is an issue and read each article we are mentioned in. We've definitely made mistakes, there is no denying that, and our small company (7 people total) work hard everyday to save family heirlooms. We do one-of-a-kind work in a one-of-a-kind field and a large majority of our customers are very detail oriented and have very high standards and expectations that are not all the time possible because of the condition the razors arrive in. We love our customers and we work passionately to make each and every person happy; I feel disappointed and personally responsible with every unhappy customer.

We've stepped back from the "public's eye" and done a massive re-focusing on how we can be the very best, how we can educate people on the history of Gillette, and provide this necessary service to the wet shaving world. That journey has brought us to this year where we invested tens of thousands of dollars to bring all plating 100% in-house so we could have 100% control over the quality of our work. We have added many more steps to the service, added capabilities to our shop, and built tools that no one else has because we love vintage Gillette razors and want to save each and every one. Anyone can plate a razor, but we know the mechanics, the engineering, and deliver something much bigger than a 'plating service'.

We care about every razor and every customer, and with your current order I've made the mistake of failing to communicate and letting your razors sit in our "Needs Attention" section without pressuring my team to find a solution and return your razors home. That is completely my fault.

I rely on my team communicating issues to me so that I can communicate with our customers and we have without a doubt dropped the ball here. Rather than looking for a part and letting your razors sit I should have explained this to you once we realized there would be a delay.

The piece in question is the handle's bottom cap. Yours does not allow easy disassembly because there are no holes and must be popped out. The piece is old and soft from corrosion and will not be able to hold your razor together because it is too flared after disassembly. Rather than having you send a donor razor from the UK (an enormous hassle) I was hoping I could find a suitable part for you (since we had already disappointed you with your Slim). And when no such part became available your razor has waited, along with the Slim.

Your piece has not been swapped out, switched around, and you have not been lied to. The metal is soft because it has been oxidizing for 54 years. The photos attached will show you what the inside of your razor looks like. It functions fine, however your Tbar has missing chunks because of corrosion. These razors were designed to keep soap scum inside to act as a lubricant for the metal. This also means it was design to hold moisture.

Your razors are only days from completion, but your Executive cannot be reassembled without this piece, and rather than plate your razor and allow the finish to sit around and be scratched by dust the entire service was halted. Instead of waiting any longer, tomorrow I will instruct my team to remove the piece from the bottom of a razor on our site now, SKU: G01084 and replace your bottom cap. I am not 100% sure if this is possible, as everyone has gone home for the day I will need to confirm this tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please understand that you are important to us. I believe this e-mail is too long and would have been better served as a conversation over the phone. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call us.

If you would like additional photos to assure you of the integrity of our service I would be happy to update you as your Slim is completed and Executive plated, assembled, and completed.

Please let me know if there is anything in addition you would like me to do.

Thank you

Thanks gents, I wrote this whilst feeling thoroughly pissed off. I tried to keep it so people could make their own minds up on the treatment I'd recieved. I'm not in the business of trying to affect peoples ability to earn a living. I have received another email offering to put things right(which is all I'm really after). In the interest of fairness I again let you decide for yourselves. If what is promised comes about, I personaily will be satisfied. Will I use them again, I will decide when all of this is over!
Here's the latest from them;

Hello Martyn,

To be completely transparent, I am a member in many shaving forums, and I speak with unhappy customers when there is an issue and read each article we are mentioned in. We've definitely made mistakes, there is no denying that, and our small company (7 people total) work hard everyday to save family heirlooms. We do one-of-a-kind work in a one-of-a-kind field and a large majority of our customers are very detail oriented and have very high standards and expectations that are not all the time possible because of the condition the razors arrive in. We love our customers and we work passionately to make each and every person happy; I feel disappointed and personally responsible with every unhappy customer.

We've stepped back from the "public's eye" and done a massive re-focusing on how we can be the very best, how we can educate people on the history of Gillette, and provide this necessary service to the wet shaving world. That journey has brought us to this year where we invested tens of thousands of dollars to bring all plating 100% in-house so we could have 100% control over the quality of our work. We have added many more steps to the service, added capabilities to our shop, and built tools that no one else has because we love vintage Gillette razors and want to save each and every one. Anyone can plate a razor, but we know the mechanics, the engineering, and deliver something much bigger than a 'plating service'.

We care about every razor and every customer, and with your current order I've made the mistake of failing to communicate and letting your razors sit in our "Needs Attention" section without pressuring my team to find a solution and return your razors home. That is completely my fault.

I rely on my team communicating issues to me so that I can communicate with our customers and we have without a doubt dropped the ball here. Rather than looking for a part and letting your razors sit I should have explained this to you once we realized there would be a delay.

The piece in question is the handle's bottom cap. Yours does not allow easy disassembly because there are no holes and must be popped out. The piece is old and soft from corrosion and will not be able to hold your razor together because it is too flared after disassembly. Rather than having you send a donor razor from the UK (an enormous hassle) I was hoping I could find a suitable part for you (since we had already disappointed you with your Slim). And when no such part became available your razor has waited, along with the Slim.

Your piece has not been swapped out, switched around, and you have not been lied to. The metal is soft because it has been oxidizing for 54 years. The photos attached will show you what the inside of your razor looks like. It functions fine, however your Tbar has missing chunks because of corrosion. These razors were designed to keep soap scum inside to act as a lubricant for the metal. This also means it was design to hold moisture.

Your razors are only days from completion, but your Executive cannot be reassembled without this piece, and rather than plate your razor and allow the finish to sit around and be scratched by dust the entire service was halted. Instead of waiting any longer, tomorrow I will instruct my team to remove the piece from the bottom of a razor on our site now, SKU: G01084 and replace your bottom cap. I am not 100% sure if this is possible, as everyone has gone home for the day I will need to confirm this tomorrow.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please understand that you are important to us. I believe this e-mail is too long and would have been better served as a conversation over the phone. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to call us.

If you would like additional photos to assure you of the integrity of our service I would be happy to update you as your Slim is completed and Executive plated, assembled, and completed.

Please let me know if there is anything in addition you would like me to do.

Thank you

If you go to the link on page 6 of the 'Manky Boy' thread,you will see what my problem is,IMO,there is no excuse for that.I do understand they might have a high workload,but still...I would not plate a razor like that,let alone charge some poor bugger for it.If it ain't good enough for me,it ain't good enough for anyone else....End of.

My reply;

Marissa.

Thank you for your response, I'm sure you can understand how annoyed and let down I was feeling on receiving your news about the state of my razor, when only a month before I'd been told it was almost done. I do understand how things can get out of hand running a business, as I have ran one myself for many years. Therefore if you return my razors to me in the condition your advertising promises, I will become a satisfied customer and put the experience behind me, and hope we've all learned something from it. Please keep me informed on progress, and thank you for the attention you are now giving this matter.

Regards

Martyn

Really sorry to read this. Personally I would rather read between the lines so to speak. I believe one of these two: damage while handling it or the "corroded" piece was in fact swapped. To wait so long is beyond belief and to persist in waiting any longer is a mistake (first time shame on you, second time shame on me). I would ask to have them back as they are, a full refund and check on the forum who might be able to help any further.

I did mention this option previously, I also mentioned the trust issue. With the company being based in Arizona they could send me any old tat back if we just fall out about it. One moment the gold plating has been done, the next it's on hold, then it's done again. I now at least have there undivided attention and hopefully will get my razors back in a fully refurbished condition. It's not as if I can just wander in and have a go at someone. For the moment I will go with the flow and attempt some sort of satisfactory outcome. If that fails, I will have taken one for the team, as they say, and hopefully no one else will "get one up em". TBC;)

And here is the reply;

Hello Martyn,

Yes, I absolutely understand your concern. The issue hear was a communication error and I hope now that you have seen the photos you no longer think it is an integrity issue.

Your razors will both be shipped next week, upon their completion. I will be in touch with news when it is available.

Thank you

:)

Marissa Neel
Office Manager
Razor Emporium

Review us on Yelp!

No spelling has been changed in this message:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom