Recommend me a boar!

I'm currently using a New Forest Tubby 2 and a Muhle V2 STF 25mm, both of which are excellent and I'm enjoying them a lot, however I have never tried a boar brush and feel that I should.

Price doesn't really seem to be a consideration with boar, they all seem to be pretty inexpensive. Of the two brushes above I prefer the Tubby, it splays better and is less springy. I know boar and badger are different animals, so I don't know if knot size translates between the two, but I like the size of the brushes I have.

I would really prefer blonde bristles if possible. I'm prepared to compromise if necessary, but I don't really want one that's dyed to look like badger. I like the look of the clear handles too. So, what would you guys suggest? If it makes a difference, I mostly use soaps and face-lather.

Thanks for your help. :)

I just bought 'Semogue 610 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush' on MAGUIRE'S Barbershop... pasting this from the order page. Sadly not for me, but for my Dad's birthday!

I have a Semogue 1305 and it's not long broken in but I love it more every time I use it. I bought it as a number 2 brush for use on soaps but I think it could be my main brush with my badger as more of a luxury brush for weekend shaves.

The 1305 has a painted handle so if a clear handle is a feature you really want it might not be for you but if the other Semogues are as good as this one (possibly do the same knot with clear handle), one of their brushes with a clear handle should be a winner. Also at just over £12 delivered from Portugal it was a bargain.

Sounds like a Semogue's the way to go based on the number of recommendations. I think I like the look of the SOC the best, it has the blonde bristles and the nicest handle.

I really like the look of the acrylic clear handles but don't know if I can get past the faux-badger effect, and the only brushes that are blonde and clear are smaller.

Greetings

Although I am a big Semogue fan I have nothing whatsoever against Omega boars, they are however completely different. Semogue boars take a long while to break in and tend to bloom a lot and the knot looks rather scruffy, this does not affect in any way the performance.

Omega's on the other hand have more compact knots made of bristle that seems to be more tapered throughout it's length and thicker at the base, the tips are about the same as the Semogue's, this tends to result in a more compact knot that does not bloom as much, they stay neat looking even after prolonged use.

It's very much personal choice I only have a couple of Omega's but have several Semogues and feel entitled to give a personal opinion on them. The SOC is a great brush but a lather eater, the 830 is rather soft and better for creams and bowl lathering , the 620 has been made for face lathering and does that job superbly, the 2000 is a whopper of a brush and really only suitable for bowl lathering.

I personally rate the 1800 as the best of the bunch great for face lathering it could be used for bowl lathering, it does have a wooden handle which not everybody likes; I do.

Going by your criteria the best choice might well be the Semogue 610 (in the Semogue range) it has a plain non dyed knot and an acrylic handle, I do not own this brush but understand it performs similar to the 620.

Regards
Dick

I really like the look of the 610. Would I be better trying to find something similar in size to my Tubby, or does knot size not matter as much with boar?

I do not like a lather hog, good flow through is important, so if the SOC tries to keep hold of it it's out of the running.

Back
Top Bottom