This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for a butterfly razor

Discussion in 'DE Razors' started by longplay, Wednesday December 6, 2017 at 21:52.

1. longplay

longplay

My brother seems to be after a butterfly (aka twist-to-open) razor for Christmas.

He's found some TOBS-branded one made by God knows who, which seems a bit pricey (£60) for what he needs -- he only wet shaves once a week, only started DE last Christmas.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of options around for these types of razors. The odd Parker, otherwise it's Chinese stuff. Could go vintage maybe, but finding one even then might be an issue.

Anyone got any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Bizzyberry likes this.
  2. Bizzyberry

Bizzyberry

If must be a TTO then a Parker would be a good choice not expensive but a decent brand. That TOBS razor might be a Parker made razor, I have no evidence to support this but head looks very similar. I got a Razor as part of a Penhaligons gift set and it turned out to be a Parker and it looked well made to me.

Palmolive fox likes this.
  3. This ^

I was about to say Parker for new, they do about six or so models, the 22r is nice.
    Feather Popular is another but for similar money to Parker a nice vintage will be my choice first a Krona second more pricy a Gillette adjustable like the Black beauty or slim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bogeyman, Bizzyberry and Blademonkey like this.
  4. Bizzyberry

Bizzyberry

Forgot about the Feather Popular, and I have one! Not used it for a while but it is very nice mild but capable razor.

Bogeyman likes this.
  5. jar

jar

6. Ferrum

Ferrum

Parker are reasonable quality, as are Pearl, another Indian manufacturer. Otherwise, a vintage Gillette or my favourite, Schick Krona.

7. Benz3ne

Benz3ne

I'd say vintage - there are a surprising amount available if you know what you're looking for. Gillette Superspeeds/Rockets are one obvious answer as are Slims/Black Beauties if you want a bit extra outlay (but certainly less than the £60 EJ).

8. Someone's selling a nice pair of flair tips for less than £60 at the moment. Buy that, give one to your bro and keep one for yourself. Absolute win win.

Bizzyberry likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy

10. SeanC

SeanC

Flair Tipped Rocket. Not too pricey, made in England, shaves well, built to last and has a cool retro look.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Bogeyman likes this.