replated vintage razors

I fancy a Gillette slim adjustable. I have seen a few on ebay but most look a little rough. There are some advertised as
Replated is there any reason not to go for one of these

I fancy a Gillette slim adjustable. I have seen a few on ebay but most look a little rough. There are some advertised as
Replated is there any reason not to go for one of these
I would not hesitate to buy it, especially if you plan to shave with it vs just buying it to collect it. I've seen many Slims and Fat Boys replated and they not only look mint, they should last a good long time.......I say go for it!

its a 50-50 proposition here, at any time buying a vintage razor.

looking "rough" can simply be the result of sitting in a closet for 50 years after being put away wet and soapy.

looking rough can also be a sign that the razor has mechanical issues, however lots of folks get vintage razors with bad finish that turn out to be "near factory new" on the internal, mechanical end.

The finish appearance is secondary to how the razor itself is, gaps in the doors, bent looking doors or safety bar, a piece missing, a handle that's 30-45 degrees off being perpendicular to the head... those sorts of things one MUST look at.

Replated razors are not necessarily evil, but one should put a tad bit more look at physical damage and defects. A lot of the companies doing replating jobs on razors are companies that make their living on say, custom replating of trailer ball hitches and bumpers. the finish wont be done to razor standards, thickness mainly. and pre plate prep wont be what it should.

A lot of razors will be damaged during the replate process, there is a place called razor emporioum that has mangled countless razors for charge.
that is based on customer service emails put onto forum complaint threads on that company. The best classic is about a fellow who had sent them a fatboy to replate and clean. after 6 months of waiting, he contacted them and was told they were waiting for him to send THEM a replacement tto knob and spring because they had broken the one on his razor during tear down.

Have a look a razor replating uk. He sells replated razors and will replate one of yours. He is a member here. Executive shaving also sell replated razors, you might even find some one on here who has used them. I have 3 slims one NOS two well used bit of brassing, I get a good shave from my used one the NOS I have not used yet.

I don
Have a look a razor replating uk. He sells replated razors and will replate one of yours. He is a member here. Executive shaving also sell replated razors, you might even find some one on here who has used them. I have 3 slims one NOS two well used bit of brassing, I get a good shave from my used one the NOS I have not used yet.
T suppose you would sell the NOS to me

Depends on personal preference.
I wouldn't buy a replated razor, the analogy that comes to mind, like an
over restored classic car with a fresh respray with a good heap of secondary issues.

Agree with @Bezoar , many "restorers" seem to do more harm than good.
Taking in a perfectly aligned great shaver with a bit of plating loss & returning a thrown together piece of junk that is now shiney.
The exception would be a serviced razor from one of the true enthusiasts on the forum/et al who will take care to rebuild it to the original standard.

A slim is a great, great razor. It was the one that started off my vintage Gillette tto hoard.
I couldn't believe how good it was (I know that doesn't help, sorry), I hope you find one soon.

I have 5 older gillette now, the slightly dog-earred ones are my favourites (50-70 years old after all & doing well).

Last edited:
I bought my replated Gillette NEW LC from sportshaving and very happy with it. Nice smooth polishing job, and a great Nickel plate too. Nick is great to deal with too.
I've seen photos of work from other replaters and some of the polishing work before plating is terrible. Then it's plated and still looks like crappage. The old saying "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind.
So, give Nick a call. I can't fault his work, and I'm going back for a SC now.
On another note, the NEW is a great razor. My new found favourite.

http://www.sportshaving.com/

Back
Top Bottom