Review - BBA Shave Oil

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?

BBA Shave Oil - a versatile oil for shaving, beard and skin care.

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:

BBA Shave Oil is not a one trick pony, and can be used as a pre-shave oil, a dedicated shave oil, a beard oil and finally a general skin serum.

SCENT:
This is the one product in the range that seems to have little to no scent. Not necessarily a bad thing though, it just means that there is less of a chance of that ingredient(s) causing your skin any issues. That said, the scent that is there is not unpleasant.

PERFORMANCE:
Now, as a daily shave, I cannot comment on the abilities of the oil as a beard care item, so I will allow others to comment in that area. As a person afflicted with some very dry skin in patches, I found the oil to be very effective at reducing the dryness in those areas. It left the skin hydrated and smooth (particularly when used after the BBA Face Wash product).

Now, the reason we're here on a shaving forum is to hear how it performs as a shave medium. I'll start with it being used as a pre-shave item. I've tried the oil in conjunction with the two other BBA shave medium (butter and cream....sounds delicious doesn't it!), as well as soaps/creams from other manufacturers, and it performs admirably in all areas. It adds glide, and leaves the skin feeling nourished after a pass.

As a dedicated shave medium, here's where I found the oil to be particularly good. When shaving with a shavette/straight razor, one thing I find particularly awkward is being able to see exactly where I am shaving (due to the lather being in the way). The oil in its nature is 99% transparent, so this issue is negated. It also allows exceptional glide for the blade as well as the obvious nourishing factor the oil offers. Before using this oil, I'd failed to achieve what I would deem as a very successful shavette shave. With the oil, I achieved this for the first time. It was an irritation free shave, something I did not think was posssible. When used with a DE razor, again I got the same irritation free shave, with exceptional post shave feel.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
In short, if you've never tried a shave oil, you need to try this. If you suffer from dry skin, you need to try this. At £24 for 50ml (48p/ml), it is not the sort of item you would want to buy blind without knowing how well it performs. Sure, there are cheaper shave oils, but from experience, they do not work anywhere near as well for me as the BBA Shave Oil. There are other shave oils too at the other end of the price spectrum (one retails at £35 for 30ml, or £1.16/ml rounded down, more than double the price effectively), but with the laws of diminishing returns, it is hard to see how spending double will get you double the performance, which when you consider the performance of BBA Shave Oil, would be almost impossible to improve on. Would I buy this? Absolutely without question.

580e1993ac659.jpg

WHAT IS IT, AND WHAT DOES IT DO?

BBA Shave Oil - a versatile oil for shaving, beard and skin care.

APPLICATION METHOD AND DESCRIPTION:

BBA Shave Oil is not a one trick pony, and can be used as a pre-shave oil, a dedicated shave oil, a beard oil and finally a general skin serum.

SCENT:
This is the one product in the range that seems to have little to no scent. Not necessarily a bad thing though, it just means that there is less of a chance of that ingredient(s) causing your skin any issues. That said, the scent that is there is not unpleasant.

PERFORMANCE:
Now, as a daily shave, I cannot comment on the abilities of the oil as a beard care item, so I will allow others to comment in that area. As a person afflicted with some very dry skin in patches, I found the oil to be very effective at reducing the dryness in those areas. It left the skin hydrated and smooth (particularly when used after the BBA Face Wash product).

Now, the reason we're here on a shaving forum is to hear how it performs as a shave medium. I'll start with it being used as a pre-shave item. I've tried the oil in conjunction with the two other BBA shave medium (butter and cream....sounds delicious doesn't it!), as well as soaps/creams from other manufacturers, and it performs admirably in all areas. It adds glide, and leaves the skin feeling nourished after a pass.

As a dedicated shave medium, here's where I found the oil to be particularly good. When shaving with a shavette/straight razor, one thing I find particularly awkward is being able to see exactly where I am shaving (due to the lather being in the way). The oil in its nature is 99% transparent, so this issue is negated. It also allows exceptional glide for the blade as well as the obvious nourishing factor the oil offers. Before using this oil, I'd failed to achieve what I would deem as a very successful shavette shave. With the oil, I achieved this for the first time. It was an irritation free shave, something I did not think was posssible. When used with a DE razor, again I got the same irritation free shave, with exceptional post shave feel.

CONCLUSIVE COMMENTS:
In short, if you've never tried a shave oil, you need to try this. If you suffer from dry skin, you need to try this. At £24 for 50ml (48p/ml), it is not the sort of item you would want to buy blind without knowing how well it performs. Sure, there are cheaper shave oils, but from experience, they do not work anywhere near as well for me as the BBA Shave Oil. There are other shave oils too at the other end of the price spectrum (one retails at £35 for 30ml, or £1.16/ml rounded down, more than double the price effectively), but with the laws of diminishing returns, it is hard to see how spending double will get you double the performance, which when you consider the performance of BBA Shave Oil, would be almost impossible to improve on. Would I buy this? Absolutely without question.

580e1993ac659.jpg
Well done Nick, great reveiw of this and the other products reviewed in the BBA range.

I use three drops of BBA oil about an hourvbefore I go to bed. I used to wake up with dry skin. I now have nice soft skin and enjoy a better shave in the morning. Great product.

Does anyone do the same

Key ingredients.....Prickly pear seed oil, hemp seed oil, Dragons blood (sangre de drago), argan oil. Taken from the bottle.
Hmm doesn't much help as those such as prickly pear ($50/oz) and argan are likely present in minute quantity, while the primary ingredients would be grapeseed, meadowfoam or such oils and/or glycerin. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thanks, but I still think its overpriced for what it is.....even with the discount. Not for me, due to the initial price. Can't get past it. I'd rather buy wine with the money....

In a way yes, but I'm never paying 20 + pound for a shaving oil no matter what it has in it...... I'd much rather buy wine!!
Fine.

I like to know what I'm buying (or not ) and although I'm unaware of applicable regulations I find it curious no proper ingredients list is to be found as you would find in an EU produced shaving soap for example. "Key ingredients" seems a marketing effort to obscure what the stuff actually contains. If Emma C. can clarify that would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom