Review: The General SE razor

In the increasingly competitive market of SE razors one small US based company - @Colonial Razors - is attempting to make a big splash in a relatively large pond with their competitively priced, minimalistic SE razor:

The General
5aoprc.jpg

Quick Data Points:
Company: Colonial Razors
Model: "The General"
Blade: Feather/Kai type of blades
Material: Aluminum 6061
Manufacturing process: CNC machined
Color/Finish: Matte anodized/sandblasted black
Handle length: 90mm and will take other handles
Price: TBD but approx $79 / £54.
Update: New price target is $59 / £44.50
Availability: Late summer, 2016.
How: First the wait list orders will be fulfilled then an estimated 100+ razors/month will be produced to fulfill new orders
Where: To be created webstore

Future plans: Possibility of multiple plates to address different aggression levels.

Why "The General" one might ask?
The name is referencing George Washington (who was General Washington during the Revolutionary war) and the handle design took some inspiration from the old cannon shapes. It also helps that the two brother behind this venture - Kirk and Kyle - are avid detectorists in PA where they scour the earth for colonial artifacts.

Disclaimer:
This is a loaner razor that I'll be using for about a week before it get sent on its merry way.

First impressions
I will be the first to admit that I am not typically an aluminum/light-weight razor kinda guy. I want to heft and weight to my shaving gear. I will have to say though that even though it's obviously is a lighter razor it feels very substantial.
Feels good in the hand, well balanced (I'll try to post a finger-balancing photo later to show how it distributes the weight) and surprisingly attractive taking such a minimalist design into consideration.

Design
I think I've already used the word 'minimalist' two-three times but that's what comes to mind when you're holding this razor. But even though the design can first been seen as very straightforward - simple even - once you look closer you'll see some rather clever design decisions that supports the overall clean appearance.

The handle, at first, comes across as very similar to the Standard DE razor but there are some design elements that, to me, elevates this handle a bit; the nicely 'cannon'-shaped tapering at the end of the handle (that actually feels very comfortable when holding it) and the gradual two-step tapering on the top of the handle that assists both in creating a comfortable hold as well as pushing some of the weight towards the head.

Tapering on top of the handle
2sb6djb.jpg

Traditional three-piece design with a very even, nice matte black finish:
160txzo.jpg

The head itself has a visually pleasing profile and on the inside the simple design theme continues as there are two small pegs - on the top cap - to place the blade and that's it.

Note: The stainless steel set screw you see in these photos is a prototype element only.
The production razors will have machined threads.

Blade Loading

As mentioned the blade is placed on two small pegs situated on the top cap that does a good job keeping the blade in place during the head assembly.

Top cap showing the two pegs

142vic.jpg

Blade resting on top cap
2ci7e6g.jpg

Even blade alignment
33y6s8z.jpg

Some healthy blade exposure
2nhi1hi.jpg

2yy1tmo.jpg

Competition
The most natural comparison is to the Alumigoose but, since I don't have one I will use their stainless steel model to illustrate some differences between the two razors.

30tt6on.jpg

The General's head is a just a tad shorter than the Mongoose's;
2i8hy75.jpg

One distinct design difference becomes apparent when you look at the two base plates where the General, again, took a simpler path and went with a completely flat base plate on the bottom of it.
The blade curve comes exclusively from the top cap and top of base plate (that is angled)
o5w589.jpg

2mzwm6p.jpg

Quality/Machining

A very even finish, well machined with no gap or grinding when mounting the head.
Well aligned and healthy blade exposure. The razor feels 'right' when handing it.

This might very well be the right razor for someone who is looking for a more lightweight SE option at what feels like a very fair price point

OK you enabling bastard - I like it how do I get one?
Not available until late summer 2016 but, I believe, they are maintaining a wait list that will be fulfilled in the order people sign up.
@Colonial Razors can provide more information and/or reach them at via email.

How does it shave?
I actually don't know yet but it's on the counter for tomorrow morning's two-day beard growth and I'll be posting a few shave reports to this thread this week.

5aoprc.jpg

Coming up next: Shave reports...

Last edited:
Looks Like a Slanted or Bent Head next to the Mongoose Shot..Hell..These Fancy Arsed Razors are just about all the Same it would appear to Me..Copy Cat Mongoose Designs most of Em..Hey whatever Rocks the Boat..;)

Billy

The razor might have been a bit angled in the photo as I just double-checked and the razor head sits on perfectly even :)

The razor might have been a bit angled in the photo as I just double-checked and the razor head sits on perfectly even :)
Aye..I thought I would just keep Ya on You're Toes..Its actually Looks Very Well made for the Price..Not a Bad thing in the Long Run..There is More Competition Now & More Competitive User Friendly prices for the SE user Market..;)

Cant Be Bad at That..:D

Billy

Aye..I thought I would just keep Ya on You're Toes..Its actually Looks Very Well made for the Price..Not a Bad thing in the Long Run..There is More Competition Now & More Competitive User Friendly prices for the SE user Market..;)

Options are always good.
It's also good to see some more aluminum ones being made as well for people that feel that the now almost de facto stainless steel razors are a bit on the heavy side.
It'll be interesting to shave with this one - especially since I come from really liking those heavy SS monsters ;)

Do not forget the One Blade aficionados too:):eek:
My post was badly worded - it was meant to denote the people who developed and sell the razor, not the ones who own a Mongoose. The 'General' looks like a pretty straightforward rip-off of the Mongoose design and if I was in the market for an aluminium razor, I'd go with a Mongoose just to show a bit of solidarity for their original work.

My post was badly worded - it was meant to denote the people who developed and sell the razor, not the ones who own a Mongoose. The 'General' looks like a pretty straightforward rip-off of the Mongoose design and if I was in the market for an aluminium razor, I'd go with a Mongoose just to show a bit of solidarity for their original work.
Why a rip off? There is a finite amount of ways to construct a 3 piece razor that holds a Feather AC blade. Next thing would be to accuse bike companies for ripping off the competition for having saddles and two wheels?

If they can manufacture and sell a functioning razor that gives you a great shave, at a competitive price point, while maintaining a constant supply, then what is the problem? As consumers we all benefit from it.

Back
Top Bottom