Rockwell 6S on steroids.

Hello friends,
most of us love and have the 6S on the rotation, albeit some of us find even plate 6 with a Feather, not to be aggressive enough and wish there was a plate 7.
Today I shaved with it @6 and added three shims (clipped used blades ) and viola, the R6 became as aggressive as I'd have wished on the first place. I started with three shims for the first pass and that was wonderful, albeit not as smooth as the original un-shimmed R6. For the second pass I took out one shim and carried on.
My findings are that with three shims the efficiency is much improved but with a slight loss of smoothness which the R6 is so famous about. With two shims however the smoothness remains as originally intended. Due to the added agressiveness however the shave cannot be as carefree as with just the 6 plate alone and witness of that are the few weepers I managed to get.

I tried the six plate with 18 shims, it was almost aggressive enough but the handle kept falling off. Now I use a jack plane. :cool:
18 shims. You are like a friend of mine who uses an un named 3 piece Gillette, but only uses 2 plates. The guard he doesn't use, only the handle and the cap. He claims this is the closest shave one can get. Maybe you should try it.

Jokes aside, I used the single shim again this morning, and while it's not noticeably more aggressive, I think stability is improved somewhat. Traveling without a sharp scissors, the single shim will have to do for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jokes aside, I used the single shim again this morning, and while it's not noticeably more aggressive, I think stability is improved somewhat. Traveling without a sharp scissors, the single shim will have to do for now.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
This was my finding as well, 1 shim adds little. I use at least 2.

Back
Top Bottom