Sanguine Coolcut 9

Arrived today. I've read good things about this injector shavette here. The first thing I noticed is the blade was loose even when clamping the slider mechanism shut. Not enough tension on the blade holder. Fortunately you can loosen the tiny screw (the screws acts as a stopper to prevent the blade holder falling out) and get to the spring.

I increased the tension on the spring which seems to have tightened things up. You can actually remove the spring without having to loosen the screw. The spring is really in the wrong place. The tension should be on the side (not the top) like you see on the Feather Artist Club razors and clones. But I guess that would add to the cost.

The scales seem to be decent enough and everything feels very solid. Nice weight to it.

I shall be keeping with my beginner CJB exploits for now and have a shave with this one next week.

Last edited:
Good bit of DIY there - well done! Mine was tight with no free play. I've been rehearsing SR shaving with mine (1 cm away from my face) and in particular using my non-dominant hand and also doing a few easy passes on sideburns and cheeks before finishing with an SE. I'll probably up the training over the weekend when I can take it easy without time pressure.

Yes at least it's easy enough to dismantle. I know quite a few people have had issues with the holder not holding the blade tight enough. Even with the mechanism snug I could still see that the blade was moving a little.

Good luck!

Good bit of DIY there - well done! Mine was tight with no free play. I've been rehearsing SR shaving with mine (1 cm away from my face) and in particular using my non-dominant hand and also doing a few easy passes on sideburns and cheeks before finishing with an SE. I'll probably up the training over the weekend when I can take it easy without time pressure.

I think I'll bin this thing or send it back. Plenty of tension on the spring but the blade rattles around on the posts. I can't imagine that will be conducive to a good shave. The head assembly is very sloppy. At least I got 20 blades with the deal!

I think I'll bin this thing or send it back. Plenty of tension on the spring but the blade rattles around on the posts. I can't imagine that will be conducive to a good shave. The head assembly is very sloppy. At least I got 20 blades with the deal!
I saw the 20 blades as a bonus!

I actually used mine for a one pass shave for everything except my moustache area today. It worked really well and I think it's a useful stepping stone towards a real SR as the blade sharpness is a known quantity and stropping, etc. is a non-issue.

The blade fits rather loosely in the one I have too, but I have found that with the first stroke, the lather and water fill that space and it isn't a problem. I wouldn't buy one again, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but it is shaveable. I used mine a few times with no issues, despite the wobble when dry.

To secure the blade I use a screw driver to tighten the tiny screw. That way the mechanism clamps securely with not blade wobble. You then have to loosen the screw to get the sliding piece to move when you want to change the blade.

The blade fits rather loosely in the one I have too, but I have found that with the first stroke, the lather and water fill that space and it isn't a problem. I wouldn't buy one again, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, but it is shaveable. I used mine a few times with no issues, despite the wobble when dry.

Last edited:
To secure the blade I use a screw driver to tighten the tin screw. That way the mechanism clamps securely with not blade wobble. You then have to loosen the screw to get the sliding piece to move when you want to change the blade.

Thanks for that. I do doubt I will bother. I tried one just put of interest in the fact it took injectors, and from a couple of forum pics, I hoped it was built a little better. It I want to use an injector in a shavette, I will stick with Irving Barber.

Yes I don't like that slider mechanism at all. I've just ordered the Portuguese shavette. Like the IBC it also takes DE, SE and FAC blades.

Thanks for that. I do doubt I will bother. I tried one just put of interest in the fact it took injectors, and from a couple of forum pics, I hoped it was built a little better. It I want to use an injector in a shavette, I will stick with Irving Barber.

Yes I don't like that slider mechanism at all. I've just ordered the Portuguese shavette. Like the IBC it also takes DE, SE and FAC blades.

Nice. I have seen that one, it looks quite nice. I am down to two shavettes now, and am mostly using straights. But the Irving Barber and Feather DX are simply too fun to use to give them up. They also make travel shaves a lot more fun. [emoji1]

Make sure and let us know how you are getting along with the Barbearia.

I certainly will.

I have a few more FAC blades to try. A rare Schick Proline is on it's way and a sample pack of Kai and Feather guarded blades arrived yesterday. I just want something smooth that doesn't feel like every single hair is being hand plucked! So far that's my experience of all the FAC blades.

Make sure and let us know how you are getting along with the Barbearia.

A postscript on my Sanguine – I managed to force the pin out when returning the blade back inside the scales. I could bodge it with superglue but I'm more likely to bin it. Shame really as I'd found it useful for learning/practising and had a few decent shaves with it.

I certainly will.

I have a few more FAC blades to try. A rare Schick Proline is on it's way and a sample pack of Kai and Feather guarded blades arrived yesterday. I just want something smooth that doesn't feel like every single hair is being hand plucked! So far that's my experience of all the FAC blades.

I don't care too much for the guarded blades. They keep that blade from getting right down there close. I find myself using excess pressure trying to get a close shave. It let to uncomfortable shaves in an SE, and cuts with a shavette. That's a YMMV thing apparently, as tons of people seem to love them. Hope they work for you.

What do you mean by the pin. The screw, the spring? I've had the blade apart a few times and there are only a few pieces and nothing that can be broken easily.

A postscript on my Sanguine – I managed to force the pin out when returning the blade back inside the scales. I could bodge it with superglue but I'm more likely to bin it. Shame really as I'd found it useful for learning/practising and had a few decent shaves with it.

Back
Top Bottom