This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shave matches

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Michael cushion, Wednesday May 16, 2018.

1. Today is the first time I've ever tried anything on a nick... I've been lucky lately and had no cuts. But today I had a little accident so I reached for a pack of bba shave matches. Just wet the end and you're off.
    Wow did that work well! I'm now wondering wether to just stick to the alum matches or if I should invest in an alum block? What do you all use?

Blademonkey likes this.
  2. Funnily enough I've never got on with the matches so I prefer to use an alum block should I ever nick myself but fortunately this is a relatively rare event. :) P.

Michael cushion likes this.
  3. Steve

Steve

I use an alum block as it tightens your whole face and takes care of any tiny weepers you may not have otherwise noticed.

Michael cushion and Blademonkey like this.
  4. Looks like I'll have to find an alum block. Do you just use it over the whole face wether you think there's a weeper or not?

5. Steve

Steve

yep, rinse my face, wet alum block rub it all over, wait 30 seconds then rinse it off.

6. patw

patw

I use an alum block,only on a nick/cut though.

7. riverrun

riverrun

Styptic matches are usually made from aluminium sulfate.
    This is not alum. Aluminium sulfate is a better hemostatic (stops bleeding) than alum.
    Styptic pencils are usually made from aluminium sulfate as well.
    For me, (potassium) alum works for very minor cuts, styptic pencil if it is a bit more serious.
    For bad cuts (lips, nose) I use Proraso Riparatore gel made with aluminium chlorohydrate.
    The drawback with that is that I need it so rarely that the contents of the tube dry out a bit and it's really hard to get the stuff out of the tube when I need it quickly. Really good stuff if you cut yourself often - I probably won't buy it again.
    If all else fails: (small) plasters.
    Never ever: bits of toilet paper.

Electrif, Michael cushion and SeanC like this.
  8. patw

patw

9. I agree with upside-down Andreas, get a styptic pencil. Most chemists sell them and they're under a pound.

SeanC likes this.
  10. This.

Alum blocks are excellent deodorants.

riverrun likes this.
  11. SeanC

SeanC

+1

Styptic pencil is the best tool for cuts

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

12. +1 for alum as a deodorant. It's totally unscented and doesn't make the armpits of your shirts sticky like the aerosol stuff. Plus it lasts for ages.

13. riverrun

riverrun

And "crystal deodorants" are made from alum and make excellent alum blocks with a non-slip holder.
    They are usually round at the top, but I use sandpaper to flatten the top first.
    Just make sure they are potassium alum. Most are.

Last edited: Thursday May 17, 2018
    Useless shaver likes this.
  14. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll maybe look into the styptic pencil instead of alum then

patw and Useless shaver like this.
  15. Electrif

Electrif

Alum block after every shave. It tells me if I've been a bit too close with the blade. I follow with an aftershave/cologne then a moisturiser.
    I also have a styptic pencil on standby for the rare nicks, as the alum block can't cope with those.

16. I love the convenience of those little matches. No messing. Dab and throw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro