Shave of the day Saturday 12th August- Fri 18th August 2017

Blademonkey

Supporter
Supporter
image.jpg ~SOTD~ 12th August Saturday

Pass~Around Rocnel SE-G

Shave four.....got the blade stuck again.....this wouldn't happen in my 1912! This is not a good start to a shave, I like to feel relaxed and I normaly look forward to my shaves but having to yank a blade out after having to go and fetch a pair of pliers does not give me that Zen feeling I'm trying to attain.

The soap, my first use of this Stirling Texas on fire and I like the scent but I think it's not going to be everyones cup of tea. The smell of a forest fire in Texas!

The shave, it was harsh, really harsh when compaired to yesterdays shave with my Blackland Sabre, I may have buggered my cutting edge of my Pal super when yanking it out but I couldn't be bothered to check with a loup and then start rounding off the corners of a new blade so I carried on regardless. No more cuts from the edges of the blade since I doctored it but was pleased when the shave was over and I'm so pleased I've got BBA post shave balm, boy did I need that today.

My scent for today was Saffron, a wonderful perfume oil from Mr Perfume.
I will have my last shave with this on Monday, one last chance to redeem itself! I'm not going to ruin my Sunday shave using this razor, I think I will use my ER 1914.

Whishing you all a great weekend.......:)

Last edited:
SOTD_20170812-1024x683.jpg

• Pre-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Oil
  • Safety Razor: Timeless Razor - Closed Comb - 0.68mm - 100mm Barber Pole
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Saponificio Varesino - 2.0 - Faux Horn (High Mountain White)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Shaving Grail Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina - Beta 4.2
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina - Balm

SOTD: 12th August 2017.

A.JPG
Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Nivea Men~ Active Clean Shower Gel .

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Bloom water face wash.

Wilkinsons Fruits~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Wilkinson Sword~ Pure Bristle .

Bowl Lather.

Soap : Funky Soap ~ Citrus & Aloe Vera .

Blade: Voskhod Teflon Coated . (1)

Razor: Ming Shi 2000S Adjustable.(settings : 1 WTG/2 XTG/3 ATG)

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Alum Block./Lemon+Peppermint Oil & Witch Hazel Mixture. / 4711 ~ Aftershave .

Gillette ~ Aftershave Balm.

Greetings,

A new set up to start the weekend,and maiden shave with the Ming Shi 2000S adjustable & the Funky Citrus & Aloe Vera shaving soap, which where kindly passed on to me by a work mate, last week.He bought the Ming Shi 2000S from Aliexpress a few month ago, he only shaved with it a few times , and said it wasn't for him,and is content with his other de razors. The Funky Citrus & Aloe Vera soap. wasn't for him either.

Back to the shave....The soap i bloomed for 5 minutes in hot tap water before applying it to my brush, using the bloom water as a pre- face wash..The lather has a nice citrus fragrance ,extremely slick, i haven't tried alot of Glycerine based soaps,as i tend to use tallow soaps, but all that i have tried have given me good slickness ,protection & a good post shave feeling to the face.

The Ming Shi 2000S..the Verdict?..let me briefly say without making it into a review, i've never shaved with a have a Merkur futur to compare it with, so i can't comment,first of all the quality of the razor is very well built and looks good to the naked eye, the Voskhod blade paired up nicely with the razor, i didn't have any alignment problems with the blade,as some people have mentioned, it was equal on both sides of the razor, changing the settings in between each pass was smooth with no issues..

The settings i chose,worked well for me, i experimented using 1 for the 1st pass, 2 for the 2nd pass, then finishing on 3 for the 3rd pass +pick ups.

Shaving under my nose & other sensitive areas wasn't a problem once i adjusted to the large head.
If i were to say anything negative about the razor,which isnt a great amount, it would be the handle, it's too smooth & slightly awkward to grip ..i suppose i could rub my fingers with a alum block to get a better grip..Enough said!

For my maiden shave,with this aggressive lady, it was a fantastic comfortable 3 pass + pick ups, BBS shave with no errors to report...what more could i ask for...

I look forward to it's next outing in my razor rotation...I instantly liked the razor,and feel very comfortable using it.

My face is feeling super smooth,irritation free & smelling devine.;)

Enjoy the start of the weekend, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
Pre: Lots of cold water
Brush: Omega 11137
Cream: T&H No.10
Razor: Gem Flying Wing aka Bullet tip
Blade: Gem Blue Star
View attachment 27969

Another great shave with the Blue Star blade, feeling refreshed and smelling good (love No.10), ready for the day ahead.

+1 on the No10 cream.
I didn't know the matching balm was available. Must resit. . . . .

Edit, I just found the post shave cologne balm at a cracking price at allbeauty
Resistance is futile. . . And i promised myself not to buy any more shaving gear this month

Today's shave:

rdt170812.jpg

- Barrister & Mann Lavanille
- Edwin Jagger 23mm STF
- Edwin Jagger DE86 with Sputnik blade
- Isana Black Energy Aftershave

:)

The DE86 was my very first safety razor, and it is still my favourite and the benchmark for all the other razors which have entered my bathroom ever since. After using the Rockwell 6c up and down the plate numbers for a total of ten shaves now (all with the same Sputnik blade) it was time today to compare and recalibrate, and I have to say so far the Rockwell hasn't shown me anything the DE86 can't do just as well. I don't quite get the excitement around it. But maybe it's due to the Sputnik? In the coming week I'll see how the Rockwell behaves with a Feather blade.

Poster 01.jpg
© Floid_Maniac
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/posters.44231/

Vegetal Soap - Cocco
Proraso – Menthol Crema Pre Barba
Vintage Kaloderma - Shaving Soap Stick
Vintage Travel Shaving Brush - Badger
Facelathering
Star Kampfe Bros. – 1902 New Model Type 2
GEM – PTFE Coated (1)
WTG / ATG
Allume Di Rocca Naturale
Bello – Bay Rum

Comparing with an original Star wedge blade I have shimmed the GEM blade with the whole back part of another GEM blade and get this way a very similar angle. The shave with the Star Kampfe Bros. Lather Catcher was very close even WTG. I get a perfect BBS in two passes. The old vintage Kaloderma shaving soap stick gave a nice rich, slick and creamy lather. It also doesn´t smell bad after all this years. The Bello Bay Rum let me smell like a sailor in the 30ties leaving the boat well groomed for a shore leave.

This Saturday`s late moring shave was accompanied by the great and beautiful Aimee Mann.

Wishing you all a relaxing weekend and smooth shaves.

Last edited:
Morning shave.

Baxters of California Face Wash, BBA Shave Oil.
P&B Albion.
Maseto 30mm 2 band Finest.
Little Wren Pottery.
Merkur 37C.
Astra SP (2).
OSP Grapefruit & Menthol Aftershave Tonic.
BBA Post Shave Balm.

A relaxed morning shave listening to the 'sausage sandwich game' on the Danny Baker Show. Are you brown sauce, red sauce, or no sauce at all? A lovely 3 pass shave with minimal pick-ups for BBS. Enjoy your weekend chaps.

The soap, my first use of this Stirling Texas on fire and I like the scent but I think it's not going to be everyones cup of tea. The smell of a forest fire in Texas!

I've thought about buying this soap more than once and I still cannot pull the trigger :)

It seems like it's the kind of soaps I like but .... still not sure.

One soap that I think you might like Paul..... Catie's bubbles Santal Sensuelle ;) I love that dry / earthy scent.

Back
Top Bottom