This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shavette: Kai and Dovo

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Nisse, Wednesday January 10, 2018.

1. Nisse

Nisse

dovo-shavette.jpg
    kasho-kai-captain-r7-razor-shavette.jpg
    Had a go at shavettes: Dovo and Kai Captain.

Closest shave goes to Dovo with a Feather blade. Scariest also as I found it hard to keep track of the edge. Post shave was not smooth either. It was fun to test but would not recommend this combo as a daily beater for the typical morning shave. Build quality is ok.

Best shave with honours goes to Kai with a Feather Professional blade. A pleasant surprise. A real smooth operator but effective. Not super close but close enough for the daily shave. Nice post shave also. Build quality excellent I like the smooth opening and closing though I will try to make a set of custom scales as the standard scales are very easy to remove and I cannot resist...

Last edited: Thursday January 11, 2018
  2. Nisse

Nisse

_DSC2504.JPG
    Switching blade from Feather to Diamond and better techique with shavette gave a really nice shave this time: close and smooth, but as before "Keep an eye on that edge!"

3. Nisse

Nisse

_DSC2504.jpg
    With reading glasses on I noticed that the plastic blade holder on the Dovo has got a bulb sticking out probably making shave less of a challenge.

culcreuch and Fergiebilly like this.
  4. Nisse

Nisse

HHT on Dovo: chop, chop, in impressive style :)

Fergiebilly likes this.
  5. jimmyc

jimmyc

Hi nisse, would you say the kai captain was close to straight razor shaving,
    or should i just go straight for a straight instead.(pun intended)
    was thinking about ti le dandy or dovo

Fergiebilly likes this.
  6. Nisse

Nisse

I would say that compared neck to neck Kai is close to straight razor shaving. That is if we are just talking the shave. Kai is in my book a modern utilitarian take on the traditional straight razor. What you are missing is then of course the tradition. You do not get the choice of more razors than you can count from Solingen, Sheffield, Eskilstuna. Different brands, blade styles, scale designs. The daily stropping. The occasional honing to maintain blade. And overall the feeling of old school, being part of history, shaving granddad style. I enjoy all the extras but if you are more of a get down to business kind of guy: Go for the modern take, go for Kai. If you opt for a straight razor I would recommend a vintage one from Fergiebilly, not just factory shave ready but properly honed, it will be perfect for that old school-feeling.

Last edited: Sunday January 14, 2018 at 09:07
    culcreuch, Fergiebilly and jimmyc like this.
  7. A Traditional SR is a Different Animal to a Shavette..Like a Car & Motorcycle..I Was Very Competent with a Feather Artist before Picking Up a Traditional SR..It Did Not Help when I Picked Up an SR..To Me there is Little or No Comparison..The Body Mechanics of a Folding Shavette are Similar to a Western SR Design & thats where the Comparison Ends..o_O

Theirs Le Dandy & Dovo SRs are Nice Shavers..They Dont Come Shave Ready from the Factory & Need Honed in Competent Hands to Make them Shave Ready..:)

Billy

Last edited: Sunday January 14, 2018 at 12:17
    culcreuch and jimmyc like this.
  8. jimmyc

jimmyc

Thanks, i think i am more into the tradition of stropping and taking care of the razor,
    than just sticking a blade in then shaving.Seems more "real"

Fergiebilly likes this.
  9. jimmyc

jimmyc

hi fergiebilly, tell be to beat it if i am out of order, but do you have any for sale.
    (as it would make life easier. no sending a new one away to get honed)
    and you come highly recommended.

Jimmy

Blademonkey and Fergiebilly like this.
  10. The Key to a Good Start..A Proper Honed SR..A Decent Strop..Off Ya Go..Once You have a Proper Shave Ready SR Learning to Strop isn't that Difficult..Most Folks that have Issues with Maintaining SRs in the Beginning is Often Due to the Fact that they are Not Properly Honed & Shave Ready on the 1st Instance in My Experience..o_O

A Lot of Folks that Start Out Just Dont Know what a Proper Shave Ready SR Feels Like..I Get Razors to Hone Very Frequently by Guys that have been Attempting to Strop & Shave with them for Months..The Bevels are Not Even Set in Most of them..I Cringe when I See them & the thought of Someone Even Attempting to Shave with Em..:D:D

Billy

culcreuch, Blademonkey and jimmyc like this.
  11. In Coming PM..:)

Billy

Blademonkey likes this.
  12. Nisse

Nisse

and always in newbie threads the best how to video showing both SR and shavette

Last edited: Sunday January 14, 2018 at 12:38
    BoldSpice, culcreuch and Fergiebilly like this.
  13. jimmyc

jimmyc

Yea i have watched that video a few times.
    and will stick to just doing the flat areas at first. :)

14. Nisse

Nisse

And if you think you can manage with only one SR you are wrong: This is the start of a collection :)

15. jimmyc

jimmyc

Ah, yes i have 6 razors as it is.I use them all now and again. But tend to use a tech more often.

Jimmy

16. Nisse

Nisse

I started with a Merkur 34c, synth brush, Palmolive stick firmly believing that I would be different from the rest of you lot but failed miserably :)

Last edited: Sunday January 14, 2018 at 18:03
    jimmyc likes this.
  17. *insert video showing a guy with a mustache having a shave*

Fergiebilly and jimmyc like this.
  18. jimmyc

jimmyc

Yea i was the same. one razor, one brush, one soap, lasted about 2 weeks before i was trawling for something else.:oops:

george, Nisse and Fergiebilly like this.
  19. Nisse

Nisse

In 2018 the idea is one new for one old, but after three new already in January, TM Cadman Bengall, Heljestrand 23 and Heljestrand 2, I am having trouble getting rid of three old, a good idea I guess would be a theme, maybe Swedish only, or just Heljestrand, making it look more like collecting than hoarding.

Last edited: Wednesday January 17, 2018 at 08:08
    jimmyc likes this.