Shaving bowl and soap dish advice please

Hi everyone.
I have now acquired my new razor the Merkhur 34c and shaving brush Omega pro 49.
My next requirements are a shaving bowl and soap dish.

Can someone point me in the right direction with regards to these items please.
I would like a soap dish primarily for the reason to just buy the pucks. My theory being is maybe I can purchase more products as apposed to more dishes. (if that makes sense :) )

Finally, from what I have been reading it seems to make sense to get a decent bowl that aids lathering. A technique I have yet to try.

If anyone has any of these items for sale or can advise me on what to buy, then please give me a shout and thank you in advance for your time.

Take care all,
Wayne

Hi everyone.
I have now acquired my new razor the Merkhur 34c and shaving brush Omega pro 49.
My next requirements are a shaving bowl and soap dish.

Can someone point me in the right direction with regards to these items please.
I would like a soap dish primarily for the reason to just buy the pucks. My theory being is maybe I can purchase more products as apposed to more dishes. (if that makes sense :) )

Finally, from what I have been reading it seems to make sense to get a decent bowl that aids lathering. A technique I have yet to try.

If anyone has any of these items for sale or can advise me on what to buy, then please give me a shout and thank you in advance for your time.

Take care all,
Wayne
I have a "fine lathering bowl" and it works very well indeed, but you could just use any old bowl in the meantime. What type of dish are you after, plastic, wood, ceramic? Loads to chose from.

Thank you all for your responses.
I think a ceramic bowl would hit the button with me. The Suribachi bowl looks the dogs doolies.
At the moment I could use a very large coffee cup with handle. (On the provision the wife doesn't notice ;))
It would perhaps do the trick for the time being.
Off to the shops now to buy some goodies.

Thank you all for your responses.
I think a ceramic bowl would hit the button with me. The Suribachi bowl looks the dogs doolies.
At the moment I could use a very large coffee cup with handle. (On the provision the wife doesn't notice ;))
It would perhaps do the trick for the time being.
Off to the shops now to buy some goodies.

Lol, I'm using the wife's ickle cooking bowl until I go on holiday and pick up a nice ceramic bowl.

I've got the same Suribachi as the one shown above. I've had it for about three years. Absolutely brilliant and looks cool too.
Had to get mine shipped from Amazon USA.

Before investing £Â£'s in a lather bowl, pick up a tapas bowl from a local cheap shop. I purchased a £2.50 tapas bowl from my local Home Bargains shop and it works a treat, nice base to grip comfortably and big enough to whip up a great lather.

Cheap enough to try and see if bowl lathering is for you, also if you don't like it you have an extra bowl :)

As stated already,try in Home bargains, i got a stainless steel one for 69p..and it does the job, failing that try poundland or poundworld i got a ceramic soup mug with a handle which is excellent for lathering..use you common sense, but imho you don't have to go out and buy a really expensive one..a cheap one does exactly the same thing.A egg is a egg.Regards.

I've been using the Aesop stainless steel bowl as used by @Merkurologist (post #10) for months but there were a few things I didn't like. I really wanted a handle as the bowl can be very slippery, the soap kept going over the sides and didn't retain any heat.

I did look at the Fine bowl but but I wasn't 100% sold on the size and looks.

I ended up contacting Victoria from Little Wren Pottery https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LittleWrenPottery
I'd seen her work via a couple of members on here including @wayne mattison
I gave her a brief description of what I was after and she came back to me with a price and time scale. £10.00 for a custom bowl, plus £6.99 P&P and a 4 week turn around. The bowls perfect, the packaging was excellent and she was bag on the despatch date. What's not to love?

(See post #53) http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/march-2017-acquisitions.42258/page-3 .
and post #178 http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...iday-17th-march-2017.42383/page-9#post-626739

I like to think that the textured surface of the suribachi helps with the production of a nice, thick, slick lather. Maybe not, but I still like the look/feel of it.

I think so too, at least you get there quicker or the process is easier and the whole bowl is comfortable in your hand. The shape of the bowl is perfect for lathering too, with others the brush knocks against the bowl.... this was what attracted me to the Sori bowl, the shape but also the surface does a really good job, unlike a shiny metal bowl.

I like to enjoy every aspect of my shaves and if for that I need to spend a little more then I'm OK with that..... your money, your choice ;)

I've been using the Aesop stainless steel bowl as used by @Merkurologist (post #10) for months but there were a few things I didn't like. I really wanted a handle as the bowl can be very slippery, the soap kept going over the sides and didn't retain any heat.

I did look at the Fine bowl but but I wasn't 100% sold on the size and looks.

I ended up contacting Victoria from Little Wren Pottery https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/LittleWrenPottery
I'd seen her work via a couple of members on here including @wayne mattison
I gave her a brief description of what I was after and she came back to me with a price and time scale. £10.00 for a custom bowl, plus £6.99 P&P and a 4 week turn around. The bowls perfect, the packaging was excellent and she was bag on the despatch date. What's not to love?

(See post #53) http://theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/march-2017-acquisitions.42258/page-3 .
and post #178 http://theshavingroom.co.uk/communi...iday-17th-march-2017.42383/page-9#post-626739

That is a lovely-looking bowl.

Back
Top Bottom