Shaving tutorials

Hi guys. I'm soon to be the owner of my first Straight edged razor, a Chinese ZY sharpened by Fergiebilly. I've also ordered a strop based on his recommendation.

We all know that the sliding scale of untruthfulness is Lies, Damn Lies, and then Statistics. I'd like to add another one to the bottom, You Tube videos. There are a plethora of videos out there showing the “correct” way to use and care for a straight razor.

There's one of our colonial cousins called Geofatboy, he has a video on you tube for every form of razor known to mankind, and he gets a good shave with all of them! He sells them all as well, but (that's) another story. You feel that if he was given a ten year old Swiss Army knife that hadn't been sharpened since it left the factory, he'd get a good shave. I suspect in his videos we are watching an experienced professional shaving rather than learning how to shave.

My question (eventually) is this, can this forum recommend some video tutorials on how to shave with, and care for a straight edged razor.

Hi guys. I'm soon to be the owner of my first Straight edged razor, a Chinese ZY sharpened by Fergiebilly. I've also ordered a strop based on his recommendation.

We all know that the sliding scale of untruthfulness is Lies, Damn Lies, and then Statistics. I'd like to add another one to the bottom, You Tube videos. There are a plethora of videos out there showing the “correct” way to use and care for a straight razor.

There's one of our colonial cousins called Geofatboy, he has a video on you tube for every form of razor known to mankind, and he gets a good shave with all of them! He sells them all as well, but (that's) another story. You feel that if he was given a ten year old Swiss Army knife that hadn't been sharpened since it left the factory, he'd get a good shave. I suspect in his videos we are watching an experienced professional shaving rather than learning how to shave.

My question (eventually) is this, can this forum recommend some video tutorials on how to shave with, and care for a straight edged razor.
You may want to check out Lynn Abrams on YouTube, one of the better ones imo.

Many thanks for the replies guys. I watched the Lynn Abrams video on shaving. The things I've learned are watch your shave angle and start small, one pass, one area until your confident then move to the next area. Don't try to do the whole face first time. Practice is the key to a good shave. I'm not so worried about stropping, I can sharpen knifes, the technique is different but the principle is the same.
BTW those are beautiful razors Ed Brice.

Many thanks for the replies guys. I watched the Lynn Abrams video on shaving. The things I've learned are watch your shave angle and start small, one pass, one area until your confident then move to the next area. Don't try to do the whole face first time. Practice is the key to a good shave. I'm not so worried about stropping, I can sharpen knifes, the technique is different but the principle is the same.
BTW those are beautiful razors Ed Brice.
Sharpening Knifes & Razors are Two Different Animals..They are NOT..Like for Like..A Knife is a Heavy Tool..Razors are Delicate & Require a Lot More Sensitivity.. ;)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom