DSC_0180_zpsqq1qbvym.jpg

Three Shaving Pass Routine..:cool:

Hot Water prep & massage with Coconut Oil
Wilkinson Empire SE
NOS Wilkinson Wedge Blade x 4
Semogue Boar Brush
Ingram Shaving Cream (added Argan oil)
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Balm (From Germany)

I pulled out my Wilkinson Empire today ...This is a Fairly Aggressive shaver...I used an original wedge blade in the Empire...The Empire came with 3 NOS Shave Ready Blades..I haven't had to Hone this blade as yet...I have stropped it before and after shaving with it & its keeping it shave ready...I must be doing something correct..I am no expert here...The Wilkinson wedge blade is a lot smaller than more standard wedge blades...These a are very hard to get a hold of and a bit tricky to strop...There is a bit of a learning curve with these wedge blades...I done two WTG Passes with a slide technique that I have learned from using straights....Then a Final ATG Pass...:)

This is where a Slick lather is Paramount...You can sort of get away with going over an area of the face without Re- lathering with a factory blade...I cant do this with a wedge blade...A wedge blade requires a really slick lather at all times....These blades are very forgiving like a traditional straight for me anyway...I keep this razor on the move as it touches my face until I complete the stroke...I use short strokes on the first pass and then long strokes in subsequent passes..These Wedge blades come into their own after the first pass...I ended up with a Mixed DFS & BBS Result....Not a cut or a single weeper..I enjoyed my wedge blade shave today...Its an experience to behold...:D

Billy

Last edited:
French L" Essor..:p
DSC_0187_zpsgzqkvqyj.jpg

Another Shot..:)
DSC_0186_zpsic6aikve.jpg

French L" Essor
NOS Heljestrand Wedge Blade (New)
Semogue Boar Brush
Erasmic Shaving Soap (added Argan oil)
Organic Aloe Vera Gel

I got some NOS Swedish Heljestrand Wedge blades recently...I gave this one a 100 lashes on the strop and gave it a Test Drive in my French L "Essor...The L" Essor is a lot milder than the Wilkinson Empire I used yesterday...Its a lot smoother though..Smooth as Silk..I would go as far as suggesting that there is no Factory Blade that can shave as Comfortably as the L" Essor Wedge Blade Razor...Comfort is the Operative Word Here...This was a very pleasurable shave...I ended up with a Nice DFS Result...The end result feels like something that is akin to a Traditional Straight Razor Shave...The L" Essor Wedge Blade Combo is like a Vintage Harley Davison to me in that they just Ooze Nostalgia and Beautiful Iron at its Best..:)

Billy

One tip with the honing - I assume you will use an attachment similar to the one shown in the Wilkinson picture. If you do, use some electrical tape along the length of the spine and stretching down to the blades - this will protect the attachment from hone wear and will also help to keep the blade in place. I found that the blade had a tendency to start creeping out of the holder.

One tip with the honing - I assume you will use an attachment similar to the one shown in the Wilkinson picture. If you do, use some electrical tape along the length of the spine and stretching down to the blades - this will protect the attachment from hone wear and will also help to keep the blade in place. I found that the blade had a tendency to start creeping out of the holder.
Thanks for the Intel Rob...I will take that one on Board...:)

Billy

Great information Billy. Having recently acquired a few empire sets and a Thierrazor (similar to your L'essor) this sort of info is priceless in helping me get started on shaving with some original wedge/ hollow ground blades. Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
Great information Billy. Having recently acquired a few empire sets and a Thierrazor (similar to your L'essor) this sort of info is priceless in helping me get started on shaving with some original wedge/ hollow ground blades. Keep up the good work!!
Its actually something to behold...I have heard some of the Old Timers from the USA talkin about how comfortable they are and how there is nothing like it...I am getting an Idea what they are goin on about...The blade is at no time is anywhere near your skin...It doesn't figure....Modern razors & blades are just so different...Don't get me wrong ...I am using some of the Up Market Razors of the day and blades to boot...o_O

I am getting a shave almost pretty much that I would expect from a Feather SS Club with a Feather Pro Blade ...No Bones about..I just need to master the chin area as its even more challenging than a Straight in that bit...But Hey...I am getting there...:D

Billy

French Louis Hoe Razor..:p
DSC_0180_zps3ehendom.jpg

Another shot..:)
DSC_0177_zpsikmhixnw.jpg

French Louis Hoe Razor
NOS Heljestrand hollow ground blade x 2
Semogue Boar Brush
Organic Aloe Vera Gel

I had a shave today with my French Louis Hoe Razor with a Heljestrand hollow ground blade ...I will just refer to it as a Wedge blade for the purposes of this write up here although I have been informed that its technically a hollow ground..I found the Louis to be a bit more aggressive than the L "Essor that I used the other day...The Louis sits somewhere between the Wilkinson Empire & the L" Essor in terms of aggression...It was just about as smooth as the L" Essor I reckon...I was immediately struck by how sharp the Wedge blade was today...Perhaps my stropping is getting better & or the blade is settling in from being new & unused...Might be a combination of both...:eek:

I am stropping the Blade x 50 on each side before & after that I shave with it...This was recommended to me from an Old Timer from the USA...A comment from UK Rob would be most welcome on that one..This routine seems to be working well for me...It doesn't take as long as one might think..Its like a Ritual & I am enjoying it...Its very rewarding to shave with a blade that you have sharpened yourself...I have came to realize that all this fuss that can be made over the weight of a razor/handles, soaps and angles and whatnot just pales into insignificance when you are going down the Wedge blade Rabbit Hole...There are just more thing to get on with that are far more technical...Just the way it is for me...I was thinking today that the Old Gents from the Past would have a field day about some of the Scientific discussions in Forums..:D

That said..I need to find a Slicker Soap here & I am not willing to stick a Tallow Soap on my face..It was almost all Tallow based soaps that were getting used during the Epoch of these Old Razors..I have something coming from India that just might be the stuff for the job...:p

This is just a get on with Rabbit Hole through Trial & Error..I am getting more confident with my shaves with these Wedge blades...They are Nothing to be Frightened of that's for sure...What I have in my hands is essentially a Short Hollow Ground blade like a Straight...I am so glad that I have experienced a Straight Razor shave here because there are some similarities in the Feel of them at least...Its so easy to have a serious accident with these blades when handling them...They are Evil Sharp & Rigid & have the Capacity to give you a really Bad Day...;)

I done x 2 WTG passes with a slide technique & a Final ATG pass...I have noticed that the stubble in the sink it a lot more finer than a shave with Modern blades...These old blades are the Epitome of Whisker Reduction that's for sure...I have shaved with the Louis with a Modern Gem blade..Here is the thing...I have found that the Louis will offer a closer BBS result with the Gem blade...That said ...The journey is not as enjoyable & or smooth with a Modern Gem blade...Its not like for like or up for comparison I don't think..But hey...Its early days & maybe I will end up with an all over BBS result with the Wedge blade as my stropping skills improves ...:D

I ended up with a DFS result today...The L " Essor seemed to shave that bit closer but there is so many variables going on here...I Damn Fine Shave today & which I really enjoyed...Good Karma..:p

Billy

Last edited:
Hi Billy. How are you stropping the blades - by hand or with an auto stropper?
I am doing it by hand with the Empire Set... For the Heljestrand blades I am using a Heljestrand stropper from my CV Heljestrand Set...I reckon that would fall into the Auto Stropper Camp...You know that Pulley type that you asked me for the dimensions on that I haven't got round to measuring yet...:D

Billy

Gem Crowned Lather Catcher..:p
DSC_0179_zpshyov7xsz.jpg

Another Shot..;)
DSC_0178_zpsccc6psus.jpg

Gem Crowned Lather Catcher
NOS Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade x3
Semogue Boar Brush
Organic Aloe Vera Gel
LOGONA Mann Aftershave Splash (From Germany)

I had a shave today with my Gem Crowned Lather Catcher & Heljestrand Hollow Ground Blade...Well..I hit the Money Button Today as I ended up with the most wonderful all over BBS result...The Coveted Dolphin Smooth Finnish...I would have expected this result from an Injector...I have used this Lather Catcher with a current Gem blade but the Wedge blade today just blew that away...The Heljestrand blade today was very sharp & smooth...It felt a bit blunt after my first WTG Pass & I stropped it x 50 times a side and well what can I say.folks...:eek:

The thing is here is that when the blade feels its loosing its edge you just cant pop in another unless you have shave ready spare of course..Something I need to do actually...No hassle though .Just adds to the excitement and the experience ..On the subject of excitement...I was as excited as a Boy today over my shaving experience...This Gem Crowned Lather Catcher is indeed the Crown Jewel..I have always said that the folks from the USA know how to make some the Best Razors in the World. Oh Yeah..Guns as well as course..:D

I am learning to dial into the Comb rather than the angle of the blade with this Shaving System...Its a different mind set from shaving with a Modern Shaving System for me anyway...I have discovered that by dialling into the comb everything takes care of its self...That said..For more than a few moments I felt that I could have been shaving with a Modern Injector System... Doesn't quite figure that one I know but there it is...I have to say ...Anybody that thinks that shaving with the Gem Lather Catcher & Heljestrand Hollow ground Blade is a step backwards just needs to experience this for themselves ...;)

I was blown away today..:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom