Shoe care advice and recommendations

A bit of a random one, but you're a knowledgeable lot on here so I thought I would tap into that.

Just bought my first pair of decent shoes (some Barker brogues) and been reading up on taking care of them. Not sure when I last polished some shoes, probably measured in decades.

Shoe trees (cedar) seem to be a no-brainer.

In terms of care and polishing, the below seems to be the approach:

• Remove laces and insert shoe trees
  • Brush clean with a horse hair brush
  • Using a cotton cloth, apply a leather conditioner (such as Saphir Renovateur or Lotion)
  • Allow to dry and remove excess with horse hair brush
  • Using a cotton cloth, apply a neutral or coloured cream
  • Allow to dry and buff/remove excess with a horse hair brush
  • If you want a high shine, apply a wax polish using a cotton cloth
  • Allow to dry and buff with a horse hair brush/pair of nylon tights/cotton cloth
  • For a mirror shine, work an area with a combination of polish and water

Sound about right?

Saphir products seem to be king of the hill, but any suggestions for other alternatives? Especially for the leather conditioner as the renovateur strips polish as I understand it.

Some people seem to apply the leather conditioner to the sole as well, a wise idea?

Anything else I'm missing?

TIA

A bit of a random one, but you're a knowledgeable lot on here so I thought I would tap into that.

Just bought my first pair of decent shoes (some Barker brogues) and been reading up on taking care of them. Not sure when I last polished some shoes, probably measured in decades.

Shoe trees (cedar) seem to be a no-brainer.

In terms of care and polishing, the below seems to be the approach:

• Remove laces and insert shoe trees
  • Brush clean with a horse hair brush
  • Using a cotton cloth, apply a leather conditioner (such as Saphir Renovateur or Lotion)
  • Allow to dry and remove excess with horse hair brush
  • Using a cotton cloth, apply a neutral or coloured cream
  • Allow to dry and buff/remove excess with a horse hair brush
  • If you want a high shine, apply a wax polish using a cotton cloth
  • Allow to dry and buff with a horse hair brush/pair of nylon tights/cotton cloth
  • For a mirror shine, work an area with a combination of polish and water

Sound about right?

Saphir products seem to be king of the hill, but any suggestions for other alternatives? Especially for the leather conditioner as the renovateur strips polish as I understand it.

Some people seem to apply the leather conditioner to the sole as well, a wise idea?

Anything else I'm missing?

TIA
I would not polish with wax polish with the shoe trees in, I did this once with my light tan Grenson brogue boots and the polish picked up every line and indent on the shoe trees within, leaving me with no other choice other than strip all the polish off the boot and start again.
I have never conditioned the soles, it may cause them to be slippery when wet, the main thing to remember with quality leather shoes especaly with leather soles is to never wear them the next day even if they have not been rained apon, the moisture from your feet will be taken up by the leather lining so they need time to dry between being worn. This is why a second pair is necessary to prolong the life of your shoes / boots. Look after your shoes or boots and they will last you for many years, they may need a resole every couple of years or so but the uppers will still look fantastic and get better with age. P.

Last edited:
Sounds about right, but I wouldn't polish the shoes with the trees in. Trees should be inserted when you take your shoes off. Moreover, it is best not to wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. They need time to dry out with cedar trees inserted to retain shape. I've used Kiwi shoe polish for as long as I can remember to good effect; some people would disagree, however. I only use cream or conditioner if a pair are in a sorry state, e.g. soaking wet; in that case I stuff them with newspaper and allow them to dry on their own and when completely dry I treat and polish them and insert cedar trees. I don't recall treating the soles of my leather soled business/dress shoes other than when they've been saturated with salty water and then only after they're thoroughly dry. One final important point, do not to use too much polish/wax/cream; a little goes a long way. Another step I take is to treat the edges of the soles and heals of my leather-soled shoes with Edge Dressing.

I'm a traditionalist. Shoes mould to fit the feet and a little distress is a part of the process. Rotate the shoes every day so they have a chance to dry. Don't touch the soles. Kiwi Parade Gloss on a regular basis.

I use this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00829DOK4/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_3_w

It's pretty much the same as Saphir crème universelle I believe.

Wax is only necessary if you want the reflection of your face on the tip of your shoes (humour).

In lieu of using surfine and crème essentielle, I alternatively use only one product every 3 weeks or when shoes need to be maintained: I use only the cream which will clean (remove previous polish/wax) and nourish the leather, after 3-5 minutes of drying you can buff (I use women's stockings), it's more than enough; then 3 weeks later I'll use Saphir surfine (choosing the proper colour is crucial) which will reinvigorate the colour, and so forth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom