Should I get an adjustable razor?

Hey,

for some reason, the idea of getting an adjustable razor is stuck in my head for quite some time now.
I need to shave daily because of work and I am fairly happy with my Merkur 34C/ 23C and my Gillette Tech razors. All three of them are more on the mild side.

One reason, if I am honest is just getting a new toy and being just being curious, but at the same time, my inner voice keeps saying, that there is no reason, as I have three good razors already.
One advantage would be to be more versatile, being able to adapt to different blades and maybe beard growth in case of longer weekends or holidays.
Of course, there is that little devil on my shoulder, whispering, "Your razors might be good, but there might be something even better out there...".

My mind is stuck on two razors, the Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant, which seem to fit my profile. From what I've read, the Merkur Futur is supposed to be more on the aggressive side and seems rather bulky. I like the look of a Rockwell 6C/ 6S, but the idea of possibly disassembling it and switching/ turning switching the plates inbetween passes, turns me off.

For those of you, who have tried the Progress and the Parker, which would be the more milder one?
I like the looks of the metall end of the Parker more than the plastik thingy on the Merkur, the Merkus would be more easy to get here in Germany though.

So, the idea of an adjustable razor is stuck in my head, like a bad song running in an endless loop. Should I listen to my inner voice of reason or give in to temptation?

Hey,

for some reason, the idea of getting an adjustable razor is stuck in my head for quite some time now.
I need to shave daily because of work and I am fairly happy with my Merkur 34C/ 23C and my Gillette Tech razors. All three of them are more on the mild side.

One reason, if I am honest is just getting a new toy and being just being curious, but at the same time, my inner voice keeps saying, that there is no reason, as I have three good razors already.
One advantage would be to be more versatile, being able to adapt to different blades and maybe beard growth in case of longer weekends or holidays.
Of course, there is that little devil on my shoulder, whispering, "Your razors might be good, but there might be something even better out there...".

My mind is stuck on two razors, the Merkur Progress and the Parker Variant, which seem to fit my profile. From what I've read, the Merkur Futur is supposed to be more on the aggressive side and seems rather bulky. I like the look of a Rockwell 6C/ 6S, but the idea of possibly disassembling it and switching/ turning switching the plates inbetween passes, turns me off.

For those of you, who have tried the Progress and the Parker, which would be the more milder one?
I like the looks of the metall end of the Parker more than the plastik thingy on the Merkur, the Merkus would be more easy to get here in Germany though.

So, the idea of an adjustable razor is stuck in my head, like a bad song running in an endless loop. Should I listen to my inner voice of reason or give in to temptation?
The Progress and the parker are two very good adjustable razors, pick one and buy it, you won't be sorry you did :) P.

You are as torn as I am, with the majority going for yes.
I seem to fit just right in here with my mindset.
;)

Decissions decissions, long handle or short handle, plastic knob or metal one. knurled or smooth handle.....

I'll probably go with the short handled Merkur Progress then, it is just more easy to get here in Germany than the Parker. I heard that the head is supposed to be a little bit slimmer than the Parker one, which I prefer.
I just wish that I could get both for comparison.

It's all a matter of personal choice, I recently pushed the buy button on the Parker Variant after sitting on the fence for over a year undecided.I had my maiden shave with it this week which was phonomenal. The Variant is a very efficient razor, that gives a superb shave with the lightest of touch, it's left quite a impression on me..However it does have a learning curve like any razor, if i had to be perfectly honest it's not exactly a 'Daily shave' razor, even at it's lowest setting, it's still very aggressive i don't have 'Buyers Remorse' getting the Variant as its a solid well balanced, and great value for money..If the parker variant blade gap had the ability to adjust a little smaller, to a milder aggression setting it would be ideal for me..The Merkur futur, i can't comment on, the only other adjustable razor that i have to compare it with is the Mingshi 2000s
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ming-shi...093277?hash=item467a27189d:g:aVMAAOSw5utaget7
which is a excellent razor, for me anyway, other people have love/hate opinions...the mingshi 2000s was one of the main reasons why i waited a year until i bought the variant, with it been a Adjustable razor did i really need to buy the variant, probably not, but it was my choice to do so..maybe if you consider the Mingshi 2000s, if you want to try out a Adjustable.?.I like what you said at the start of the discussion 'Quote "I am fairly happy with my Merkur 34C/ 23C and my Gillette Tech razors." well if that's the case, then stick with them, we all get 'Impulsive buying bouts' because we like the look of something, i for one, have done it many times,adjustable razors do look good & perform wonderfully, but so do the razors you have already, i find aggressive blades work well with non-aggressive razors, and vice versa...It's up to you at the end of the day my personal advice is see what works for you, and don't worry too much about anyone else's opinion. Nobody is standing on the other side of the mirror making biased judgements. The face you're shaving is your own, and you don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself...if the razors you already have work for you, then so be it.. The wonderful thing about traditional wet shaving for me is that there are so many good products out there and there literally is something for just about everyone..Enough said. Regards. B.

Last edited:
Greetings

Whilst adjustable razors are absolutely fine and I still own three, what I would say is that if you use one regularly, many users (and I was one of them for several years) tend to set it at the setting they prefer and rarely if ever change it. This does beg the question why do I need an adjustable razor if I rarely if ever adjust it?

Regards
Dick.

Isn't the Ming-Shi 2000/ Futur an agressive razor? From what I've heard, the Merkur Futur is supposed to be more agressive, even on lower settings.
Yes it's aggressive even on it's lowest setting..with a non-aggressive blade it works for me, '"ive trained my mind to shave the lather from my face, rather than the stubble, this has gave me the shaving confidence, to use an more aggressive razor, at an aggressive setting...'Any Razor can be aggressive'..it's all down to good preparation, learning you technique, and building up your shaving confidence with every shave.

An adjustatable is nice....but needs to be treated with care. My first ever 'decent 'razor was a Futur....and I made the mistake of winding it up to a higher setting than was either necessary or desirable for my level of expertise. The Ming Shi/Q-Shave is very similar....just cheaper materials, but delivers just as good a shave for a fraction of the cost. Both razors are very forgiving with blade choice.
I did own a Merkur Progress for a time....but 'lost' it while I was in Afghanistan. I didn't think it was worth replacing. Adjustability was limited for me. It was much less than the Futur and I found that I had to use it on max constantly to achieve any level of efficiency.

That is the problem, getting new razors is way too much fun. With five razors at home, three more chinese ones incomming and an a possible adjustable one , all within the last six months, I see an addiction in development.
:)

I do like my Gillette Tech from time to time, so I guess that I probably would like a Slim or Fatboy too. Finding one in reasonably good condition in Germany does not seem to be that easy. I would be curious to try them, for sure.

If you want one buy one. I have a progress I never use it above 2, come to think of it I rarely use it below 2 either. I also have a Chinese Futur clone which I rarely use it's probably more aggressive than my progress. I use it screwed down to 1. If like me you need a mild razor to get a good shave then you probably don't need an adjustable, but hey they're fun. I mean it's not like you're buying a second car!

Back
Top Bottom