Simpsons Captain 2 or Semogue SOC Badger

I have a Semogue OC 2-band, but not a Captain2; however I do have 3 Simpson brushes with best badger knots, which is what the stock Captain2 is fitted. People have reported that of late the Simpson best badger is scritchy/prickly, but this is not the case with the best badgers I purchased several years ago. I really like Simpson best badger from a performance perspective and think that it is excellent value. The SOC 2-band I have exhibits a faint hint of prickle, but nothing that turns me off the brush. Also, I've found it to be a bit of a lather hog, but, again, not enough to turn me off. I like the look of the SOC and its quality is on a par with that of Simpson. Of the 3 Simpson best brushes I own the one I like the best is the Colonel followed by the P8 Phly and the Chubby1 a long way back. I'm not a fan of the Chubby1 because of its size, but more importantly I find it too dense and too firm. Of my 2 Semogue badgers I like the regular 3-band silvertip better than the SOC 2-band because it is softer, a little less dense and not as firm. I'd say that the knot characteristics of the SOC are close to those of the Simpson P8 Phyl, but a little less soft and a little firmer.

Back
Top Bottom