So much for saving money..3 months into this addiction..

Hi there :)

I decided to start wet shaving with the good intention to 'save money' (we all know how that goes!).

Little did I know when I placed my first order (TOBS sandalwood / omega 49 / merkur 34c with feather blades), that I would fall down the rabbit hole that is wet shaving!

I used to hate shaving, but I now find it a relaxing part of my day; shaving whilst listening to a podcast and taking my time and enjoying the process. Usually I shave in the evening and it allows me to unwind.

Here is what I have procured so far;

32372384213_5443c3f3d4_c.jpg

32805067810_fe7c56b6a7_c.jpg

32805076510_363ff3c559_c.jpg

32805061470_76ba2c1d74_c.jpg

I've really enjoyed nearly everything, the standouts for me are MWF + XPEC for the performance (I'm a sucker for the post shave feeling they give), the Merkur 39c slant and the Omega pro 49 boar brush.

My only real disappointment was Arko, it was just too drying for my skin. And now I mostly use the Arko shave stick to break in new boar brushes.

I'm limiting myself on purchases going forward (at least I will try!). But there are a few things I would like including; the rockwell 6s, a plissoft style brush, and perhaps some MDC, Pannacrema nuavia, Castle Forbes, or St James of London creams. I think I might try some samples to avoid the temptation to hoard full sized products. Eventually I would to figure out what works best for me and narrow down the collection to a handful of products.

The forum has been a wealth of information so far and I'm looking forward to contributing, thanks for having me!

I decided to start wet shaving with the good intention to 'save money' (we all know how that goes!).

Little did I know when I placed my first order (TOBS sandalwood / omega 49 / merkur 34c with feather blades), that I would fall down the rabbit hole that is wet shaving!

I used to hate shaving, but I now find it a relaxing part of my day; shaving whilst listening to a podcast and taking my time and enjoying the process. Usually I shave in the evening and it allows me to unwind.

I've really enjoyed nearly everything, the standouts for me are MWF + XPEC for the performance (I'm a sucker for the post shave feeling they give), the Merkur 39c slant and the Omega pro 49 boar brush.

My only real disappointment was Arko, it was just too drying for my skin. And now I mostly use the Arko shave stick to break in new boar brushes.

I'm limiting myself on purchases going forward (at least I will try!). But there are a few things I would like including; the rockwell 6s, a plissoft style brush, and perhaps some MDC, Pannacrema nuavia, Castle Forbes, or St James of London creams. I think I might try some samples to avoid the temptation to hoard full sized products. Eventually I would to figure out what works best for me and narrow down the collection to a handful of products.

The forum has been a wealth of information so far and I'm looking forward to contributing, thanks for having me!
Oh yes, you've fallen down the rabbit hole, I would like to see your colection in around six months time.....narrow down to a handful of products....ha, good luck with that! :) Welcome and enjoy.

Last edited:
Oh yes, you've fallen down the rabbit hole, I would like to see your colection in around six months time.....narrow down to a handful of products....ha, good luck with that! :) Welcome and enjoy.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I've actually thought of a tactic to combat my natural instinct to collect things, in this case soaps and creams.

I've purchased a 9 litre 'Really Useful Box' from Hobbycraft (it was £6). All my shaving creams and soaps have to fit into this box. This will stop me from hoarding and make me carefully think about my purchases. All soaps that I do not use on a regular basis will be sold / traded / PIF to a newcomer. I hope this system works and keeps me in check!

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I've actually thought of a tactic to combat my natural instinct to collect things, in this case soaps and creams.

I've purchased a 9 litre 'Really Useful Box' from Hobbycraft (it was £6). All my shaving creams and soaps have to fit into this box. This will stop me from hoarding and make me carefully think about my purchases. All soaps that I do not use on a regular basis will be sold / traded / PIF to a newcomer. I hope this system works and keeps me in check!
I think a 25ltr box will be of more use :)

It's a great forum for receiving help and advice, and not so good if your trying to keep your dosh in your pocket. :)
Having been a member on several other forums (non shaving), this place has been a breath of fresh air. I'm used to non stop bickering and drama! It's great to see a forum where people still help each other (even if they tempt them into spending more money!). ;)

Welcome along matey you're amongst friends here.
I see that osp and Phoenix and beau is missing from your collection, would highly recommend both companies, I apologise for acting as an enabler but I'm sure I won't be the last Haha
Regards

Welcome along matey you're amongst friends here.
I see that osp and Phoenix and beau is missing from your collection, would highly recommend both companies, I apologise for acting as an enabler but I'm sure I won't be the last Haha
Regards

Thanks Brad! I actually read about both those artisans on the forum and I'm keen to try them, especially 'spitfire'. Thank you for the recommendation :)

....some great gear...I can see your Pro 49 though is just crying out for some Tabac, Valobra and Haslinger...

Back
Top Bottom